Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    So for the crime of calling the commissioner out for lying about what he knew about the Rice assault, Simmons gets a longer suspension than Rice did (originally, before he got shamed/embarrassed into lengthening it) from the commissioner for the commission of the crime itself. Alice-in-Wonderland time here.

I think Simmons will reign in the f-bombs on his podcasts, but I'd expect him to take the position that "if I can't express my opinions, including those critical of the NFL or anyone associated with it, then I'm outta here." ESPN, recognizing what a cash cow he is -- as well as the fact that he's right in this particular instance -- will fold. They're not letting him get away.
    I beg to differ. Simmons wrote a column that ripped Roger Dodger from one end to the other - calling him incompetent, the worst commish of all time, comparing him to Nixon, running a picture of a bunch of dead fish, and running through possible scenarios at NFL HQ that fit Roger's story and finding them all bogus. However, he never came out and called Roger the "L-word". To me this column (and another one that listed all his screwups) was more damaging (and better argued) to Roger Dodger than the podcast:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/ro...-to-step-down/

The podcast was stupid, immature, and ill-advised. Simmons dared his bosses to shut him down like a disobedient kid who dares his parents to send him to bed if he doesn't behave.

ESPN has $15.2 billion reasons to keep Simmons on a leash. The question is when they get tired of putting up with his crap and maybe sell Grantland to Comcast.

I also have $20 that says at some point Simmons will do a Shawshank comparison about how he's Andy working for the Warden.

Warden Samuel Norton: "...And Grantland? Gone... sealed off, click-by-clrick. We'll have us a little website barbecue in the yard. They'll see the flames for miles. We'll dance around it like wild Injuns! You understand me? Catching my drift?... Or am I being obtuse?"

The other comparison is Animal House and Dean Wormer just put him on double secret probation. Ok, now I'm undecided. It could go either way.
    Last edited by Turk; 09-25-2014 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    The podcast was stupid, immature, and ill-advised.
    But that's what ESPN has been paying Simmons for all along. Why suspend him now, and not ten years ago?

ESPN, recognizing what a cash cow he is -- as well as the fact that he's right in this particular instance -- will fold. They're not letting him get away.
    Going back to Keith Olbermann walking out in the mid-90s, ESPN has taken the attitude (as do teams they cover such as the Patriots) that the talent is fungible and it is the franchise that endures.

And like some big market sports franchises if they overpay for someone (e.g. - Rick Reilly) they can absorb the cost.

Disciplining Simmons sends the message that the talent needs to remember they still report to management. This from SI sports media reporter Richard Deitsch

There is also something else likely at play here. ESPN management is looking to become more decisive with suspensions when its employees go off the rails.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/09/24/esp...ell-suspension

The only thing about the Simmons/ESPN issue is that nothing Simmons said or wrote is nearly as obnoxious as Olbermann's attacks on Goodell and the NFL.

He's been railing on Goodell, calling him every name in the book for weeks ... repeating his tirades show after show after show. Until his two recent attacks on Derek Jeter, the only thing to break the monotony of attacks on Goodell were his assaults on Dan Snyder and the nickname of the Washington NFL team.

Look, I agree with Olbermann on the Goodell and Snyder issues (not on Jeter) -- and I can't believe ESPN lets him get away with it. One time, maybe ... but he's been relentless on these two issues.

Why Simmons and not Olbermann?

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Why Simmons and not Olbermann?
    Well, disagree or no, Olbermann usually makes his case with complete sentences, vocabulary, logic, and examples that may (or may not) be relevant. After reading that KO's rip job on Jetes was as bad as urinating all over Monument Wall, I watched it and wondered what all the fuss was about. (Curses, you clickbait!) He dusted off the old Cal Ripken argument: "Jeter played a long time but wasn't really great at any one thing." (And yes, I disagree). Of course it's not hard to find stats to support any argument, and KO likes to rant and rave. Olbermann's "grumpy old man" is entertaining once in a while.

Simmons, by contrast, just cursed a lot. And with that nasal Boston voice of his, he sounds like a whiner. Simmons should stick to writing, and trust his editor.

Simmons, by contrast, just cursed a lot. And with that nasal Boston voice of his, he sounds like a whiner. Simmons should stick to writing, and trust his editor.
    ESPN ombudsman Robert Lipsyte published an explanation for the suspension last night and appears to agree. ESPN has published that quickly and apparently told its other talent to say nothing.

Simmons is, in my opinion, ESPN’s franchise player, but by no stretch a leading journalist. ... Is anybody watching the baby? Who reviews content, such as podcasts, before posting? Do the people who review Simmons’ work report to him? Producers and editors are supposed to vet content before it hits the fans, even if the content is generated by a franchise player.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ombudsman/po...nd-suspensions

ESPN has made a lot of money by allowing Simmons to run with his usually harmless bad boy act. The Worldwide Leader's reaction to the Goodell comments is like Captain Reynaud being shocked that gambling is going on.

Here's another inside account of how the big boys at ESPN came to suspend Simmons. At its heart, it was more about his publicly daring them to take action against him rather than the substance of what Simmons said in calling out of Goodell. In other words, management couldn't stand to be challenged in public.

Well, disagree or no, Olbermann usually makes his case with complete sentences, vocabulary, logic, and examples that may (or may not) be relevant. After reading that KO's rip job on Jetes was as bad as urinating all over Monument Wall, I watched it and wondered what all the fuss was about. (Curses, you clickbait!) He dusted off the old Cal Ripken argument: "Jeter played a long time but wasn't really great at any one thing." (And yes, I disagree). Of course it's not hard to find stats to support any argument, and KO likes to rant and rave. Olbermann's "grumpy old man" is entertaining once in a while.
    I don't disagree so much with your take on Olbermann's assault on Jeter ... but have you been watching the incessant assault on Goodell (and Snyder)? I'd suggest that his rants were far more "out-there" than anything Simmons said.

In the Jeter case, I strongly disagree with him -- but I don't think there was anything objectionable or suspendable (is that a word?) in the rant.

In the case of Goodell and Snyder, I agree with him, but think he's gone wa-a-a-y too far -- beyond Simmons.

But, yes, KO does tend to speak in complete sentences and use proper grammar.

Here's another inside account of how the big boys at ESPN came to suspend Simmons. At its heart, it was more about his publicly daring them to take action against him rather than the substance of what Simmons said in calling out of Goodell. In other words, management couldn't stand to be challenged in public.
    Nice read. Here's a piece from Slate (in the form of a running diary - nice touch) arguing the same thing. I didn't know Stephen A. Smith got suspended for a week for suggesting that some women provoke athletes into violence. Has anyone read the book about ESPN "Those Guys Have All The Fun" that's been quoted a couple times this week?

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports...ere_s_the.html

Money quote on KO's ripping Goodell: "What Olbermann has not done is dared his paymasters to shut him up." There was a link to a KO transcript:

http://deadspin.com/keith-olbermann-...-wh-1632150757

I think I see what Oly is talking about; in addition to such phrases as "kangaroo court" and "hostage with a gun to her head", there's this:

"Roger Goodell's existence, who he is, what he has turned the NFL commissioner's office into, is now symbolized by Ray Rice's brutal left hand striking Janay Palmer and striking her again. Mr. Goodell is an enabler of men who beat women."

Wow.

And in this morning's Inky, the AP says a source sent the inside-the-elevator tape to the office of NFL security chief (and ex-Pennsylvania State Police Commissioner) Jeff Miller, and received voicemail confirmation on April 9.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...c38a1fc2d.html

So now we move to Stage 3 of the Nixon playbook (yeah, Simmons went there, and I'm going there too).

Stage 1 was deny, deny, deny the tape exists. That failed. (Surprise!)
    Stage 2 is "order up the whitewash self-investigation from prestigious people to get all the facts". That ploy was discredited the day it was announced. Can you say "conflict of interest," boys and girls?
    Stage 3 is "throw the underling under the bus", maintaining plausible deniability for Roger Dodger. Chief Miller either falls on his sword or blames it on sloppy clerical help. Let's see where that goes.
    Stage 4 is Doonesbury's "Guilty, guilty, guilty!"

At least no one can play the "executive privilege" or "national security" card, so we have that going for us...