Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    So for the crime of calling the commissioner out for lying about what he knew about the Rice assault, Simmons gets a longer suspension than Rice did (originally, before he got shamed/embarrassed into lengthening it) from the commissioner for the commission of the crime itself. Alice-in-Wonderland time here.

I think Simmons will reign in the f-bombs on his podcasts, but I'd expect him to take the position that "if I can't express my opinions, including those critical of the NFL or anyone associated with it, then I'm outta here." ESPN, recognizing what a cash cow he is -- as well as the fact that he's right in this particular instance -- will fold. They're not letting him get away.
    I beg to differ. Simmons wrote a column that ripped Roger Dodger from one end to the other - calling him incompetent, the worst commish of all time, comparing him to Nixon, running a picture of a bunch of dead fish, and running through possible scenarios at NFL HQ that fit Roger's story and finding them all bogus. However, he never came out and called Roger the "L-word". To me this column (and another one that listed all his screwups) was more damaging (and better argued) to Roger Dodger than the podcast:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/ro...-to-step-down/

The podcast was stupid, immature, and ill-advised. Simmons dared his bosses to shut him down like a disobedient kid who dares his parents to send him to bed if he doesn't behave.

ESPN has $15.2 billion reasons to keep Simmons on a leash. The question is when they get tired of putting up with his crap and maybe sell Grantland to Comcast.

I also have $20 that says at some point Simmons will do a Shawshank comparison about how he's Andy working for the Warden.

Warden Samuel Norton: "...And Grantland? Gone... sealed off, click-by-clrick. We'll have us a little website barbecue in the yard. They'll see the flames for miles. We'll dance around it like wild Injuns! You understand me? Catching my drift?... Or am I being obtuse?"

The other comparison is Animal House and Dean Wormer just put him on double secret probation. Ok, now I'm undecided. It could go either way.
    Last edited by Turk; 09-25-2014 at 01:28 PM.
    "Quality is not an option!"