Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2014 NFL Season

Quote Originally Posted by TampaDuke View Post
    In the AFC East, I wonder how many teams had the Jets, Bills and Dolphins winning and the Patriots losing in week 1? Certainly not me.
    Yeah, I wonder what the average percentage of survivor pool entries wiped out by the Bears losing at home to the Bills was. That had to be among the most popular picks last week, right? I still think it's going to be a long season for the Jets, but maybe Miami can make it interesting for the first time in years in the AFC East. They're already up a game and a tiebreak on New England, and looked surprisingly good (or the Pats looked surprisingly bad, especially on run defense, and get to face AP this week).

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Yeah, I wonder what the average percentage of survivor pool entries wiped out by the Bears losing at home to the Bills was.
    I think it was around 20% - it was the second most popular pick, after Eagles over Jags (which I think was something like 45%, so if the Jags had held on...)

As for the AFC East, we've seen both the Dolphins and Bills get off to 3-0 starts recently before New England wins it anyway, so for now I'll remain cautiously optimistic.

Fantastic article at Grantland on the NFL's growing image problem and Roger Goodell's deteriorating leadership. Really worth a read.
    Money quote: "If the NFL ever really loses supremacy in sports and culture, Monday is a good preview of what that looks like. The league will become such a mess that nobody can bring themselves to care about the actual games."

With the new info suggesting the NFL did, in fact, have a copy of the ill-fated elevator video, this scandal turns once again to focus on the failures of Goddell and the NFL rather than Ray Rice's horrific behavior.

Having watched Roger this morning on CBS in an interview, I heard his potential CYOA statement when asked if anyone in the NFL had seen the video ("to my knowledge, no") I am thoroughly disgusted.

He clearly knew, and was attempting to give himself a potential loophole if it were ever to come to light. Well, that loophole is a noose 12 hours later, and I don't imagine he will survive the week.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain_Devil_91_92_01_10 View Post
    ...I don't imagine he will survive the week.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
    My initial reaction to this was, "Nah, the league is still too big and he's still too powerful. He'll survive. But a lot of the player and owner statements in this article would seem to suggest otherwise. For example, several congresspersons are now weighing in, saying things like "Roger Goodell is part of the problem, and he is incapable of achieving a real solution." Pointed congressional criticism like that begins to hit too close to the NFL's sacred antitrust exemption, and could be a tipping point with regard to Goodell's support among owners.

Job Requirement

My guess is that when the NFL owners selected Goodell they considered things like ability to negotiate TV contracts, deal with player's union, etc. etc.

How to handle a case when a star player slugs his girl friend on camera was probably not of highest priority. I assume it will be for the next hire, which I think might be pretty soon.

I do hope that the conversation returns to domestic violence, Ray Rice, etc. and away from the NFL's handling. The handling was bad but the violence was much worse, in my opinion.

SoCal

roger "millhous" goodell will laugh about all this on Super Bowl sunday….
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

I hate to distract us with actual commentary on the games, but the NFL's ultimate goal of complete parity seems close to arriving. There are 7 2-0 teams, 7 0-2 teams, and 18 teams at 1-1. I don't think any of the 2-0 teams have seemed all that dominating. Among the clubs at 2-0 are teams like Houston and Buffalo, who were among the worst teams in football a year ago and didn't have very high expectations for this season. This may be the year where 12-4 wins home field advantage in one of the conferences.

-Jason "survivor leagues are being decimated. Making week 4 or 5 of your survivor league would be a major accomplishment this season" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Juwan Thompson getting some PT today with the Broncos!
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Juwan with a TD!!!
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

The Lion, back to stinking!!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    The Lion, back to stinking!!
    I'll call your "stinking" and raise you a "sucking." My Jets are God-awful. Poorly coached, no discipline, no front office ($20 million under the cap and no CBs?? And 2 of the 12 draft picks on the roster)

The good news: my Sunday afternoons are now free.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    I'll call your "stinking" and raise you a "sucking."
    I'm holding further embarrassment via the Lion fan goon who thought a laser pointer was fun to play with in the stands.

The dumb cluck is banned indefinitely from further Lion games...LIKE THAT'S A PUNISHMENT?????!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Does anybody remember a team winning a game after/because of receiving a penalty??? On the offense, delay of game?

Wacky Lion built to confuse...

Weezie, at least you won today...at Wembley! Geno achieved (?) a 0.0 QB ranking today, and was pulled in Q1. That's Blutarsky territory at Faber. I give up on that team. Look forward to my free Sundys!

Big Ben had 2 really good days today. By that I mean that if you took his stats today and divided them in half, each half would be equal to a really good game by a QB.

40 for 49 passing to total 522 yards passing and 6 TDs. It is a damn shame that, at the very end, they didn't let him throw one or two more passes as 5 more yards would have given him the 2nd best passing yardage game in NFL history (he needed about 40 to become #1).

Jaw dropping to watch.

And the best part is that I have had him on my fantasy bench all season long. I have been starting Colin Kaepernick, but SF is on a bye so I played Big Ben this week. Ummm, yeah, I'm gonna win my fantasy game this week

-Jason "so the debate now is do I put Kaep back in as my starter next week?" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Big Ben had 2 really good days today. By that I mean that if you took his stats today and divided them in half, each half would be equal to a really good game by a QB.

40 for 49 passing to total 522 yards passing and 6 TDs. It is a damn shame that, at the very end, they didn't let him throw one or two more passes as 5 more yards would have given him the 2nd best passing yardage game in NFL history (he needed about 40 to become #1).

Jaw dropping to watch.

And the best part is that I have had him on my fantasy bench all season long. I have been starting Colin Kaepernick, but SF is on a bye so I played Big Ben this week. Ummm, yeah, I'm gonna win my fantasy game this week

-Jason "so the debate now is do I put Kaep back in as my starter next week?" Evans
    I had prime tickets to this Steelers game but traded them for the Ravens game next month...

I'm a tad choked up! Blue Devil and Lion football both garnering respect?! This is a new and strange emotional landscape for me

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Green Bay just scored again.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Green Bay just scored again.
    LOL, they should have just called that game at halftime. What a crushing defeat for Da Bears.