Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Saw on Zags Bragg, Brown, and Ingram is thinking about packaging. Is Duke still the leader for Ingram Tommy?

Quote Originally Posted by DukeRocks12 View Post
    Saw on Zags Bragg, Brown, and Ingram is thinking about packaging. Is Duke still the leader for Ingram Tommy?
    I don't know who ever declared that Duke is "the leader" for Ingram. I never did. I've always said I thought in the end it would come down to Duke and UNC, but I've felt Kentucky to be making a significant move lately, and Kansas trying to as well.

Brandon and seemingly the rest of the world of uncommitted elite players in the Class of 2015 -- and a bunch of '16's too -- were at Kansas this past weekend, and most of them, and a bunch of others, will be at Kentucky next weekend for their big show. I'm sure the guys were feeling pretty giddy, and they will again in Lexington. I may check in with the Ingram camp this week, or it may make more sense to wait until after the Kentucky weekend to take their temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I don't know who ever declared that Duke is "the leader" for Ingram. I never did. I've always said I thought in the end it would come down to Duke and UNC, but I've felt Kentucky to be making a significant move lately, and Kansas trying to as well.

Brandon and seemingly the rest of the world of uncommitted elite players in the Class of 2015 -- and a bunch of '16's too -- were at Kansas this past weekend, and most of them, and a bunch of others, will be at Kentucky next weekend for their big show. I'm sure the guys were feeling pretty giddy, and they will again in Lexington. I may check in with the Ingram camp this week, or it may make more sense to wait until after the Kentucky weekend to take their temperature.
    Thanks Tommy, I wasn't referring to you. I was basing off the 247 crystal ball. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Do you know or think Brandon playing on the Adidas AAU circuit will impact his decision at all? IF, the package deal come to fruition, I'm afraid of Kansas because of the Adidas ties. I heard the Adidas ties are pretty strong with Jaylen Brown and Carlton Bragg but not sure about Brandon. But I guess even if the Adidas ties are strong, why would Brandon go to the same school to back up Jaylen Brown? There might be more smoke than substance here.

I am not totally sure there is room for him to play if he committed to Duke. Of course, he could earn his way into minutes, which would be great. I don't think he will commit until after this season, nor should he, especially if he really likes Duke. See if any of our 2/3 guys leave.

If he had to go somewhere else, I'd like to lose him to someone outside the conference because I think Ingram will be a strong college player
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    I am not totally sure there is room for him to play if he committed to Duke. Of course, he could earn his way into minutes, which would be great. I don't think he will commit until after this season, nor should he, especially if he really likes Duke. See if any of our 2/3 guys leave.

If he had to go somewhere else, I'd like to lose him to someone outside the conference because I think Ingram will be a strong college player
    Brandon's been saying for awhile that he was going to commit before his senior season started, which would mean October. Certainly no later than Thanksgiving or so. That can change, of course, but I haven't heard anything yet about the timetable changing.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Brandon's been saying for awhile that he was going to commit before his senior season started, which would mean October. Certainly no later than Thanksgiving or so. That can change, of course, but I haven't heard anything yet about the timetable changing.
    If Ingram comes, that's great, but our class for next year is totally fine with me with Kennard, Jeter, and Obi

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

If Ingram comes, that's great, but our class for next year is totally fine with me with Kennard, Jeter, and Obi
    I think there are many who feel the same way.

Which is a good thing since, as time goes on and as I learn additional information, I'm feeling less and less confident that Ingram ends up in Durham. They had a terrific weekend in Lawrence, and you just know they will in Lexington this coming weekend too. I try not to be in the prediction business too much, but while I'm not ready to say that Duke (and Carolina for that matter) are out of it, this is trending in the wrong direction. Either of the ACC schools could still get him, but I for one will no longer be surprised if he heads out of state.

At least we'll know relatively quickly, as the plan -- always subject to change, of course -- but the plan at this point remains to announce at some point before Thanksgiving.

Realistically, we will have Obi, Plumlee, Jefferson and Jeter inside next year so Brandon would be competing for a small forward position. His build suggests he is best suited for small forward as well. That suggests he would be competing with Winslow (will he stay?) and Ojeleye and possibly even Matt Jones. Clearly we could use him going forward but it is unlikely he would start or get a lot of PT.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Realistically, we will have Obi, Plumlee, Jefferson and Jeter inside next year so Brandon would be competing for a small forward position. His build suggests he is best suited for small forward as well. That suggests he would be competing with Winslow (will he stay?) and Ojeleye and possibly even Matt Jones. Clearly we could use him going forward but it is unlikely he would start or get a lot of PT.
    I agree and I'm not sure he is good enough to potentially harm our recruitment of Jayson Tatum who is a flat out stud. You also forgot Rasheed, Grayson, and Kennard, all of whom could see time at the 3 as well. That's a really deep team, which is a good problem to have, but I would prefer to add depth at the top of the rotation, which is what I think Tatum would bring. I think of Ingram purely as a luxury at this point, a luxury who can play, and would be cool to grab, but as long as he isn't a luxury that Carolina has, then whatevs.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Any news regarding Brandon Ingram's camp after the visits?

Seems right now would be a great time for Duke to check in with him and fellow in-state top recruit Harry Giles, who rumor has it will strongly end up at either Duke or UNC.

Quote Originally Posted by milkbone View Post
    Seems right now would be a great time for Duke to check in with him and fellow in-state top recruit Harry Giles, who rumor has it will strongly end up at either Duke or UNC.
    Duke does check in with Brandon regularly. Of course. But they can't do so at the moment because Brandon and his dad are headed to Los Angeles for another on-campus visit to UCLA this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by milkbone View Post
    I'm not sure I agree. Is there any chance at all that a NC resident hasn't heard the news? Duke "checking in" has the potential to be seen in a negative light, as if Duke is piling on, kicking a guy when he's down, etc., etc. I don't know that much about recruiting tactics, but for me it would be tempting to stay above the fray, go all Duke-positive and let the ambient UNC-negativity all around us do my work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    ... Duke "checking in" has the potential to be seen in a negative light, as if Duke is piling on, kicking a guy when he's down, etc., etc. ...
    When I was a kid, my father told me, "Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it."

I think that applies here.

Actually, maybe Coach K could try this tactic:

"I'm talking about something important, like discipline and duty and honor and courage. And you [nc] ain't got none of it!"

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    When I was a kid, my father told me, "Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it."

I think that applies here.

Actually, maybe Coach K could try this tactic:

"I'm talking about something important, like discipline and duty and honor and courage. And you [nc] ain't got none of it!"

"Lighten up, Francis."

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I'm not sure I agree. Is there any chance at all that a NC resident hasn't heard the news? Duke "checking in" has the potential to be seen in a negative light, as if Duke is piling on, kicking a guy when he's down, etc., etc. I don't know that much about recruiting tactics, but for me it would be tempting to stay above the fray, go all Duke-positive and let the ambient UNC-negativity all around us do my work for me.
    That sounds right--and it is my impression based on everything I have read that the Duke program is pretty committed to a positive recruiting model. I specifically remember Jahlil Okafor making a comment at one point in his recruitment about how he did not like negative recruiting, specifically noting some coaches who had suggested that Duke is not a good place for big men and disagreeing with that assessment. That would be a pretty odd remark to make, especially before he had committed, if at the same time he was hearing negative messages about other schools from Duke.

At this point the best kind of "checking in" Duke could do with its in-state recruits would be to do whatever would be the normal pattern, without regard to anything happening down the road. If it's time for a check-in call, make it, and have the same conversation you would normally have; if it's not, don't.

CTC Attendance

Has Brandon attended CTC in the past? Reading the Blue Devil Lair rundown of the CTC schedule and attendees, the mention that BI has chosen this weekend to take an official to UCLA is striking. I recognize that he's a local boy and has certainly been on campus dozens of times, but has he attended CTC in the past that this occasion would be redundant or something? I can't help but think that's not a great sign for us landing him at this point. Apologies if this was discussed at some point beyond the last few days--I don't recall seeing it.

Agree with the points made here. I like to believe we have always taken the high road with recruiting and the program speaks for itself. Wouldn't want that ever to change.

I'm quite certain Ingram will hear gobs of negative recruiting info about unc without Duke bringing it up. That's the way things work.

Maybe he just wants to see California. I'm not too concerned about him...he's got talent, but I'm not sure we can meet his
    expectations with regard to the express lane to the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I'm quite certain Ingram will hear gobs of negative recruiting info about unc without Duke bringing it up. That's the way things work.

Maybe he just wants to see California. I'm not too concerned about him...he's got talent, but I'm not sure we can meet his
    expectations with regard to the express lane to the NBA.
    Speaking of the lane to the NBA not working out, James Michael McAdoo was cut by the Golden State Warriors, as was Aaron Craft.

McAdoo went from a possible lottery 1st rounder projection to not getting drafted, and so far not making an NBA team.