Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    In Group A, Serbia eventually overcame Iran 83-70. In the win, Nemanja Bjelica had 18 points and 10 rebounds, Bogdan Bogdanovic had 16 points, and Miroslav Raduljica had 13 points. In the loss, Hamed Haddadi had 29 points. France eased past Egypt 94-55 as Joffrey Lauvergne had 12 points and 7 rebounds and Kim Tillie went from off the roster to lots of garbage time with 10 points. Spain came out firing against Brazil and won 82-63. In the win, Pau Gasol had 26 points and 9 rebounds, Sergio Rodriguez had 12 points, and Juan Carlos Navarro had 10 points. In the loss, Leandro Barbosa had 11 points and Anderson Varejao had 10 points.
    Standings: Spain 3-0, France 2-1, Serbia, 2-1, Brazil 2-1, Iran 0-3, Egypt 0-3

On Wednesday, the loser of the Egypt-Iran game will be eliminated although the winner is unlikely to advance either. Serbia-Brazil and Spain-France are intriguing matchups.

In Group B, Senegal picked up another surprise win by holding off Croatia 77-75 to open the day. Gorgui Dieng had 27 points and 8 rebounds and Mouhammad Faye had 11 points and 6 rebounds in the win. Dario Saric had 15 points and 6 rebounds, Bojan Bogdanovic had 15 points, and Ante Tomic had 14 points and 9 rebounds in the loss. The Philippines had an early lead, but could not recover after an Argentina run and lost 85-81. In the win, Luis Scola had 19 points and 7 rebounds and Walter Herrmann had 10 points. In the loss, Jimmy Alapag had 15 points and Andray Blatche had 14 points and 15 rebounds. Greece eventually wore down a shorthanded Puerto Rico team and won 90-79. In the win, Giannis Antetokounmpo had 15 points and Nick Calathes had 14 points. In the loss, Renaldo Balkman had 23 points, J.J. Barea had 21 points, and Carlos Rivera had 10 points.
    Standings: Greece 3-0, Argentina 2-1, Croatia 2-1, Senegal 2-1, Philippines 0-3, Puerto Rico 0-3

The first game in the group on Wednesday is Philippines-Puerto Rico. The loser is eliminated and the winner needs to win on Thursday as well to advance. The winner of the Senegal-Argentina game will move on. Greece is currently qualified and closes the day against Croatia.

If we are still doing title changes, a mod can go with USA vs New Zealand 9/2 11:30am ESPN2/3. If nothing else, I hope we get a really nice display of the Haka for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Oh no doubt it is tough to get organized with so little prep. The George injury and Durant withdrawal exacerbate the problem too. But it seems like we are not even trying to run a half-court offense. Basically, for all of the push for continuity and experience, we seem like we are basically back to the pre-K days again in terms of readiness (again, largely due to unforeseen circumstances). I would definitely not say a championship is a given, nor even a championship appearance a given (though I think the latter is very likely).
    Spain will be very tough. They are more experienced at almost every position- have played more together as a team- and will have the crowd behind them. USA will have to play their A game and will need to play very fast and hard to wear them down. USA will need to use all their depth if they end up playing Spain.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Spain will be very tough. They are more experienced at almost every position- have played more together as a team- and will have the crowd behind them. USA will have to play their A game and will need to play very fast and hard to wear them down. USA will need to use all their depth if they end up playing Spain.
    Spain is also the one team in the draw that USA's depth won't wear down. Spain can go 9-10 deep with NBA-caliber talent, and they have the guard play to not be phased by the US pressure. If we do face them, they won't be overwhelmed by us.

Spain is also the one team in the draw that USA's depth won't wear down. Spain can go 9-10 deep with NBA-caliber talent, and they have the guard play to not be phased by the US pressure. If we do face them, they won't be overwhelmed by us.
    Completely agree that they will not be overwhelmed but the only advantage the US team has over them is speed. Unfortunately, US relies on forcing turnovers and that is going to be tough to do against their guards. This is a very tough matchup. But Spain still needs to keep from tripping up.

Oh no doubt it is tough to get organized with so little prep. The George injury and Durant withdrawal exacerbate the problem too. But it seems like we are not even trying to run a half-court offense. Basically, for all of the push for continuity and experience, we seem like we are basically back to the pre-K days again in terms of readiness (again, largely due to unforeseen circumstances). I would definitely not say a championship is a given, nor even a championship appearance a given (though I think the latter is very likely).
    Yea halfcourt offense is certainly an achilles heel so far. The offense is all about quick hits with the ball rarely changing sides of the floor. Kyrie does more to pound the ball and drive and dish rather than setup an offense. Curry is more of a transition pg as well. This is where I was hoping Rose would be mentally back by now (physically he's appears just fine). He's much more of a pg type that manages an offense instead exclusively focused on transition and quick hits.

We may very well be ok but we could need Rose back accustomed to real game action for the team to handle a championship game.

My first thought was that we need to thrash New Zealand for having cut Nick Horvath.

Then I saw this:

Attachment 4317

I know the sun shines at a different time of year in New Zealand, but the sun does shine there, right?

Anyway, then I remembered Nick was a physics major at Duke, and things clarified.

So I'm back to we need to thrash New Zealand for having cut Nick Horvath.

P.S. Trivia tidbit: In addition to playing basketball in New Zealand, Nick still teaches secondary school physics. He's built a nice life for himself, and I wish him the best.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    Yea halfcourt offense is certainly an achilles heel so far. The offense is all about quick hits with the ball rarely changing sides of the floor. Kyrie does more to pound the ball and drive and dish rather than setup an offense. Curry is more of a transition pg as well. This is where I was hoping Rose would be mentally back by now (physically he's appears just fine). He's much more of a pg type that manages an offense instead exclusively focused on transition and quick hits.

We may very well be ok but we could need Rose back accustomed to real game action for the team to handle a championship game.
    I'm afraid that is a limitation of all of our options. None of our PG are pass-first players. Irving is a terrific talent who doesn't seem comfortable yet as a facilitator in the half-court. You're dead-on in terms of Irving's tendency to want to drive all the time; that's his game, but in FIBA (where teams play a collapsing man-to-man and/or VERY compact zones) it's just not as effective. And while I love Rose, facilitating the offense is also not a huge strength of his.

So we're getting a lot of one-pass (or no-pass) offensive sets in the half-court. If the PG passes, it's either to a post player who (rightfully) looks to score or a wing who also looks to score (either jacking up a 3 or himself trying to drive to the rim). And of those wings, only Harden seems alert enough to make the right pass off the dribble.

And since we took DeRozan over Korver, we don't have that catch-and-shoot wing guy to run off of screens (Thompson doesn't seem to be doing much of that, and Curry is too much of an on-ball player to fill that role). So we don't even have an easy set play to run.

But still, the PG play and half-court offense is something that is going to need to get much better if we're going to win this thing. We can't expect to "shock and awe" our way to the title, but that's the way we seem to be playing right now.

Hopefully as the tournament progresses, things get better.

Guess again, Turkey Fans

The Ukraine beat Turkey 64-58. Not sure Turkey is our only real competition in pool play.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I'm afraid that is a limitation of all of our options. None of our PG are pass-first players. Irving is a terrific talent who doesn't seem comfortable yet as a facilitator in the half-court. You're dead-on in terms of Irving's tendency to want to drive all the time; that's his game, but in FIBA (where teams play a collapsing man-to-man and/or VERY compact zones) it's just not as effective. And while I love Rose, facilitating the offense is also not a huge strength of his.

So we're getting a lot of one-pass (or no-pass) offensive sets in the half-court. If the PG passes, it's either to a post player who (rightfully) looks to score or a wing who also looks to score (either jacking up a 3 or himself trying to drive to the rim). And of those wings, only Harden seems alert enough to make the right pass off the dribble.

And since we took DeRozan over Korver, we don't have that catch-and-shoot wing guy to run off of screens (Thompson doesn't seem to be doing much of that, and Curry is too much of an on-ball player to fill that role). So we don't even have an easy set play to run.

But still, the PG play and half-court offense is something that is going to need to get much better if we're going to win this thing. We can't expect to "shock and awe" our way to the title, but that's the way we seem to be playing right now.

Hopefully as the tournament progresses, things get better.

I think this is an overreaction to some poor shooting against Turkey. Turkey wanted to play at a slow pace and the US wanted to speed things up. Part of speeding things up is (often) taking the first good shot you get. I'm confident this is what K wanted them to do. Many of those shots were open. Now, could the offense take its time and hunt for a better shot? Sure, but then we'd be playing more at a pace that we didn't want to play at...

But, I agree that we don't have a pure pass-first PG on this team. Even Lilliard would not have provided that. Or Wall. I guess most of the elite PGs in the NBA are scoring guards. Remember when Rondo tried out -- everyone said he was a liability b/c he couldn't shoot. It's like the reaction to the Turkey game. Everyone loves the guys who can score until they're cold; then everyone's asking who the hell picked this team ?!?

Quote Originally Posted by tux View Post
    I think this is an overreaction to some poor shooting against Turkey. Turkey wanted to play at a slow pace and the US wanted to speed things up. Part of speeding things up is (often) taking the first good shot you get. I'm confident this is what K wanted them to do. Many of those shots were open. Now, could the offense take its time and hunt for a better shot? Sure, but then we'd be playing more at a pace that we didn't want to play at...

But, I agree that we don't have a pure pass-first PG on this team. Even Lilliard would not have provided that. Or Wall. I guess most of the elite PGs in the NBA are scoring guards. Remember when Rondo tried out -- everyone said he was a liability b/c he couldn't shoot. It's like the reaction to the Turkey game. Everyone loves the guys who can score until they're cold; then everyone's asking who the hell picked this team ?!?
    I don't think this is an over-reaction to Turkey at all. This is simply what we've seen in our style of play since the friendlies.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    I don't think this is an over-reaction to Turkey at all. This is simply what we've seen in our style of play since the friendlies.

Right. Our style of play is to maximize the number of possessions by playing at a fast pace. That's what you do when you have the most talent. Like any other strategy, it's not 100% full-proof. When the shots aren't falling, we're gonna have some close games. I stand by my earlier assertion that this team is ripe to get upset. But, listening to Fran Fraschilla say we need to slow it down and work the ball around more after just listening to Rose say in the pre-game interview that the US was going to push the pace made me chuckle. I mean, if the US had slowed it down and hunted better shots, we would have heard how Turkey imposed its will on the US, by getting them to play slower. K's not going to give in that easily. We will play fast in every game and at times it's gonna be ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by tux View Post
    Right. Our style of play is to maximize the number of possessions by playing at a fast pace. That's what you do when you have the most talent. Like any other strategy, it's not 100% full-proof. When the shots aren't falling, we're gonna have some close games. I stand by my earlier assertion that this team is ripe to get upset. But, listening to Fran Fraschilla say we need to slow it down and work the ball around more after just listening to Rose say in the pre-game interview that the US was going to push the pace made me chuckle. I mean, if the US had slowed it down and hunted better shots, we would have heard how Turkey imposed its will on the US, by getting them to play slower. K's not going to give in that easily. We will play fast in every game and at times it's gonna be ugly.
    Seems to me that there was a significant adjustment in the offense after half-time in the Turkey game. Much more emphasis on getting the ball inside, esp. to involve Anthony Davis. Move fast, but work "inside out" when possible on offense, more touches inside and let the big men throw it out to the perimeter for open shots when available.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    My first thought was that we need to thrash New Zealand for having cut Nick Horvath.

Then I saw this:

Attachment 4317

I know the sun shines at a different time of year in New Zealand, but the sun does shine there, right?

Anyway, then I remembered Nick was a physics major at Duke, and things clarified.

So I'm back to we need to thrash New Zealand for having cut Nick Horvath.

P.S. Trivia tidbit: In addition to playing basketball in New Zealand, Nick still teaches secondary school physics. He's built a nice life for himself, and I wish him the best.
    Actually, we should be glad the Tall Blacks cut Horvath, because there were pickup game reports that he was absolutely schooling Davis and the other U.S. bigs.

Midway through the 4th quarter, the US leads NZ 88-57. We only led 27-20 at the end of 1 qtr but blew it open in 2nd and led by 22 at halftime.

Faried and Davis continue to dominate teams on the inside. Davis has 21 points and 9 rebounds while Faried has 15 points and 11 boards. Harden has 13 and Steph has 12. Harden has been great at getting inside and ending up shooting FTs (6-8 from the line so far). Kyrie has 7 points on 3-6 shooting with a team-leading 3 steals. Rose has struggled, just 1-6 from the field for 3 total points.

-Jason "tomorrow we have a decent Domincan Republic team, formerly coach by Cal and now coached by Orlando Antigua" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Midway through the 4th quarter, the US leads NZ 88-57. We only led 27-20 at the end of 1 qtr but blew it open in 2nd and led by 22 at halftime.

Faried and Davis continue to dominate teams on the inside. Davis has 21 points and 9 rebounds while Faried has 15 points and 11 boards. Harden has 13 and Steph has 12. Harden has been great at getting inside and ending up shooting FTs (6-8 from the line so far). Kyrie has 7 points on 3-6 shooting with a team-leading 3 steals. Rose has struggled, just 1-6 from the field for 3 total points.

-Jason "tomorrow we have a decent Domincan Republic team, formerly coach by Cal and now coached by Orlando Antigua" Evans
    Planning to watch the game later tonight, but I'm assuming this amazing performance threw us off our game in the 1st. I think every basketball game should start with a dance off from now on.

"Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    I think every basketball game should start with a dance off from now on.
    Well...perhaps not.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    Planning to watch the game later tonight, but I'm assuming this amazing performance threw us off our game in the 1st. I think every basketball game should start with a dance off from now on.

Is that serious? Is that some sort of ritualistic dance? I've never seen anything like that in such prominent form all the way out to half court, completely synchronized and planned, and with intensity. Front and center for the whole stadium to see and even crossing half court at the end onto the opposing team's side. Team USA seemed to take it in stride and even applauded, so I assume it's known that New Zealand does this before every game.

Still. Very bizarre, IMO. Very, very bizarre.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Is that serious? Is that some sort of ritualistic dance? I've never seen anything like that in such prominent form all the way out to half court, completely synchronized and planned, and with intensity. Front and center for the whole stadium to see and even crossing half court at the end onto the opposing team's side. Team USA seemed to take it in stride and even applauded, so I assume it's known that New Zealand does this before every game.

- Chillin
    It's the Haka and a lot of New Zealand national teams do it. The All Blacks (Rugby) is the main reason it's famous, but I've seen soccer and basketball do it as well.

Here's is the All Blacks performing it in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post

- Chillin
    The Haka is a Maori challenge. The Maori are the indigenous people of New Zealand and the Maori language is one of the official languages of the country.

The basketball team has always done this. Seen it against other teams in FIBA events and Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by dball View Post
    The Haka is a Maori challenge. The Maori are the indigenous people of New Zealand and the Maori language is one of the official languages of the country.

The basketball team has always done this. Seen it against other teams in FIBA events and Olympics.
    Very interesting. And entertaining.

But I have to assume most of the players on the team are not Maori.

Still find it a bit out of place.

- Chillin