Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    "Here's to never forgetting tonight."

Though don Miguel Ruiz has good advice about not taking anything personally ("What others say and do is a projection of their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won't be the victim of needless suffering." -- http://www.humanpotentialunlimited.c...y-content.html) ... actually being immune is hard to do.

A lot of sports/competitive motivation seems to be tied to proving oneself to oneself, and to others. The words/actions of others can -- in Cut's words -- add fuel to the fire:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/i...cutcliffe#more

HD: Is there anything I didn't ask you that you want to get out there?

DC: We want people to understand we're here to win championships. People are going to laugh. I hope they do. It just adds fuel to the fire.
    I agree with regard to seeking motivation. That is very different from feeling the need to prove oneself - or prove someone else wrong - particularly in K's case given how much he has accomplished already.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    "Here's to never forgetting tonight."

Though don Miguel Ruiz has good advice about not taking anything personally ("What others say and do is a projection of their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won't be the victim of needless suffering." -- http://www.humanpotentialunlimited.c...y-content.html) ... actually being immune is hard to do.

A lot of sports/competitive motivation seems to be tied to proving oneself to oneself, and to others. The words/actions of others can -- in Cut's words -- add fuel to the fire:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/i...cutcliffe#more

HD: Is there anything I didn't ask you that you want to get out there?

DC: We want people to understand we're here to win championships. People are going to laugh. I hope they do. It just adds fuel to the fire.
    Is Cut not the greatest? His hire should go down as the best sports decision by Duke since maybe 1980. Btw, would love to get his reaction to Ms. Keeley's latest comment on article re: ECU hypothetical chances in ACC coastal. Other writers made insightful comments; hers simply referred to our atrocious schedule to date. Granted its not very good, but better than the Wolfpack/Heels up to now.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post
    Is Cut not the greatest? His hire should go down as the best sports decision by Duke since maybe 1980. Btw, would love to get his reaction to Ms. Keeley's latest comment on article re: ECU hypothetical chances in ACC coastal. Other writers made insightful comments; hers simply referred to our atrocious schedule to date. Granted its not very good, but better than the Wolfpack/Heels up to now.
    I love our recent football scheduling. There is no 68 team tourney at the end of the season where ultimate progress through that largely equates to season success. You either make a bowl game, a big bowl game, win your division/conference, win your bowl game, or you don't. Bowl eligibility is completely determined by number of wins, specifically getting at least 6 wins. The sooner you do that, the sooner you can set higher goals like tacking on more wins to try to win the division and get a better bowl (see last season, where success just mushroomed after an improbable win vs. Virginia Tech, where heart and fortune carried us through to scary wins vs. NC State, Wake Forest, UVA, UNC, etc.).

We mostly still don't have 4-5 star recruits out there starting and backing up our starters. So I don't think early season non-conference games vs Alabama & Stanford do much to help our season. We were doing that - got humiliated, got players hurt, and lost confidence and then more games. I'm thrilled we don't play Louisville, Clemson, and FSU in conference - it can only help our chances with our final record. Cut understands that by giving our teams a chance to have really successful seasons (like last year and hopefully this year), we better improve the positive visibility of the program and we'll get more 4-5 star guys. It's already happening. Duke football doesn't mean what it used to mean (which previously was an oxymoron). Now it's cool. At that point we can send our 4-5 star guys out against somebody like Stanford, if they still want to play us. For now, let's fight in our weight class. Go Duke Football!

Sorry I've gotten the thread off topic - not trying to start a tangent. To get back to it, I've loved seeing other big journalists call a spade a spade (like Jeff Goodman's comment on the Calipari picture).

Btw, would love to get his reaction to Ms. Keeley's latest comment on article re: ECU hypothetical chances in ACC coastal. Other writers made insightful comments; hers simply referred to our atrocious schedule to date. Granted its not very good, but better than the Wolfpack/Heels up to now.
    This statement is almost certainly untrue. Our competition has been garbage. Carolina is playing ECU today, a good team. As for N.C. State, South Florida is markedly better than any opponent we have yet played.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    I love our recent football scheduling. There is no 68 team tourney at the end of the season where ultimate progress through that largely equates to season success. You either make a bowl game, a big bowl game, win your division/conference, win your bowl game, or you don't. Bowl eligibility is completely determined by number of wins, specifically getting at least 6 wins. The sooner you do that, the sooner you can set higher goals like tacking on more wins to try to win the division and get a better bowl (see last season, where success just mushroomed after an improbable win vs. Virginia Tech, where heart and fortune carried us through to scary wins vs. NC State, Wake Forest, UVA, UNC, etc.).

We mostly still don't have 4-5 star recruits out there starting and backing up our starters. So I don't think early season non-conference games vs Alabama & Stanford do much to help our season. We were doing that - got humiliated, got players hurt, and lost confidence and then more games. I'm thrilled we don't play Louisville, Clemson, and FSU in conference - it can only help our chances with our final record. Cut understands that by giving our teams a chance to have really successful seasons (like last year and hopefully this year), we better improve the positive visibility of the program and we'll get more 4-5 star guys. It's already happening. Duke football doesn't mean what it used to mean (which previously was an oxymoron). Now it's cool. At that point we can send our 4-5 star guys out against somebody like Stanford, if they still want to play us. For now, let's fight in our weight class. Go Duke Football!

Sorry I've gotten the thread off topic - not trying to start a tangent. To get back to it, I've loved seeing other big journalists call a spade a spade (like Jeff Goodman's comment on the Calipari picture).
    This is an excellent post and a great explication of my current feelings regarding the Duke football program.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Esseintes View Post
    This statement is almost certainly untrue. Our competition has been garbage. Carolina is playing ECU today, a good team. As for N.C. State, South Florida is markedly better than any opponent we have yet played.
    My post and article in paper was before today's games- I think you knew that. I'll argue USF and 2 very weak opponents vs State is not any more difficult than Kansas, Troy and Elon. My point is that others writers didn't take such a strong stance against the Triangle school schedules going into today's games.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    This is an excellent post and a great explication of my current feelings regarding the Duke football program.
    What do any of these posts have to do with the FIBA World Cup?

As to the aforementioned Laura Keeley, I am one who believes in the perfectibility of mankind, and I expect her to improve with some more years as the Duke beat reporter. It isn't easy being a Duke grad, apparently Class of 2011, and covering Duke for most of the state of North Carolina. Also, we don't need any more enemies because her employers -- the N&O and Charlotte Observer -- buy ink by the barrel (as pols used to say about the need to get along with newspapers). Criticism is OK.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    You don't trust me on football? Fine ... you're free not to read me.
    Don't worry, I've seen you get enough objective facts incorrect (like the ones I mentioned) where I don't trust your football posts anymore, at least less than Keeley, who gets more right in football than you do. It'd still be nice if you could stop fabricating football things and presenting them to the boards as fact, or at the very least, stop trashing the local kid for supposedly getting things wrong when you're simultaneously making up things.

Wait a second... You mean the same South Florida team that lost to FCS Western Carolina? They are "markedly better" than any opponent we've played? I don't think so...

We have not played a slate of world-beaters thus far, but are 4-0 and achieved that record in convincing fashion. We also need to improve in a number of areas, particularly the defensive line and run-stopping, as opponents get tougher and we go up against a couple of teams in Miami and GaTech who can really run the football well...

Well, ANYWAYYYYYYYYYYY,

Last day of summer, time to maybe put this thread in the garage and get the rakes out.

Just the picture of Bryan Kersey on the home page here gave me a jump of annoyance. Nice to remember that we'll be gearing up in about a month for the real deal.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Well, ANYWAYYYYYYYYYYY,

Last day of summer, time to maybe put this thread in the garage and get the rakes out.

Just the picture of Bryan Kersey on the home page here gave me a jump of annoyance. Nice to remember that we'll be gearing up in about a month for the real deal.
    Hear, hear!

In the interest of comity, I won't make a big deal out of that home page picture actually being of K and referee Ray Natilli.

It's a gorgeous day in NC today, our football team is 4-0 and our gold medal winning basketball coach will soon begin another season.

they're all pretty annoying....
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Now our coach forced Quin Snyder to sign Dahntay Jones so that we could keep up with Kentucky in NBA players? This is clearly all out of control with all the attempts to gain an advantage these days.

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    Now our coach forced Quin Snyder to sign Dahntay Jones so that we could keep up with Kentucky in NBA players? This is clearly all out of control with all the attempts to gain an advantage these days.
    Who were they supposed to sign? Daniel "Tim" (H)Orton(s)?

orton.jpg

Bill Self, Sean Miller talk Team USA

The Chi Master

I infer a general respect for Coach K from the 2 coaches who are generally top 5 recruiters, and disdain for calipari

In particular, the comment by Miller about the commitment to team USA coaching "making him a better coach" seems directed at calipari, a style over substance reference. Some coaches spend their time telling everyone how good they are, real coaches go out and get even better.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I infer a general respect for Coach K from the 2 coaches who are generally top 5 recruiters, and disdain for calipari

In particular, the comment by Miller about the commitment to team USA coaching "making him a better coach" seems directed at calipari, a style over substance reference. Some coaches spend their time telling everyone how good they are, real coaches go out and get even better.
    Well said, I particularly like the last sentence ...
    The Chi Master

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Well, you know Coach Cal has it right: Every program has certain "advantages". For example, I heard about one school where they house players in a luxury dorm, let them skip class, borrow cars etc. Supposedly there was even a kid whose SAT was faked. Crazy, right?

My quick breakdown of US FIBA 2014 players

It's easier to have a point of reference for who did well and who didn't, so I'm playing "who exceeded / underperformed against expectations?" game

Exceeded Expectations:
    -Kenneth Faried: this one isn't even close. Faried was supposed to be the high energy guy who helped gel the team together. No one expected him to be a top scorer. If Faried can learn lock-down D, he'll be an amazing second banana in the league.
    -Kyrie Irving: Tourney MVP, starting PG (and it wasn't even close between Kyrie and Rose), 26 points in the final... LBJ just got a little more optimistic
    -Rudy Gay: Gay came in as the replacement for George and Durant. No one expected Gay to really do much. And, while his stats didn't pop, I feel that Gay did an amazing job as a spread 4 who played really good D.
    -Boogie Cousins: the big man rebounded, defended, and kept his cool for every play except one. He and Kyrie also destroyed Serbia in the first half.

On Par with Expectations:
    -James Harden: the best offensive player on the team didn't disappoint. Too bad his defense did, though
    -Anthony Davis: played very well. I was going to place him in the "underperformed expectations" list because expectations for him were so insane, but he played amazing. His O, D, and rebounding were near the top for Team 'Merica.
    -Klay Thompson: he did two things very well - shoot the 3 and defend. Easy to see why Thompson is one of Coach K's favorite players

Underperformed:
    -Derrick Rose: no one thought there was going to be this much rust, including CDu. Rose played well on certain plays, but he just didn't justify starter or even 6th man minutes. He isn't a good shooter, and that really limited his performance.
    -Stephen Curry: Curry loved to foul, probably because his D isn't good to begin with (but at least he's trying! Unlike Harden). His shot was highly variable from game to game. Curry never really seemed to put it together.

I didn't rate Plumdog Millionaire, Drummond, or DeRozan because they just didn't play enough.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Don't worry, I've seen you get enough objective facts incorrect...
    Speaking of getting things correct/incorrect, did I mention that Kyrie was pretty solid in the FIBA World games - something I predicted. Oh, yeah. I have said that. A couple of times.

Sorry. Now back to your regularly scheduled program.