Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Films we are looking forward to this winter

Springing off from the conversation in the Top 5 Films of Summer thread...

So, Birdman was the opening night film at the Venice Film Festival a couple days ago. Many folks have pointed out that the opening film at Venice last year was Gravity. Well, Birdman is causing similar kind of buzz. The reviews are almost universally great so far with lots of praise for Michael Keaten as well as the cleverness of the entire film appearing to be one continuous take. Looks like this out is going to be really good. Now, it is probably too dark and strange to be a mainstream hit at the boxoffice (I'll be surprised if it makes more than about $30 million), but it certainly looks like a strong awards contender for Alejandro Inarritu (Dir.) and Michael Keaton. Edward Norton is also getting a lot of praise for his supporting work in the film.

Michael Keaton is about to get pretty hot as an actor because this fall he is shooting Spotlight which will almost certainly be an Awards contender a year from now. Spotlight is going to be an All The Presidents Men kind of story about the Boston Globe journalists who uncovered the Catholic Church sex scadal a few years ago. Keaton is playing the lead journalistic investigator and the film also stars Mark Ruffalo, Stanley Tucci, Rachel McAdams, Liev Schreiber and Aaron Eckhart. It is written and directed by Tom McCarthy, who directed The Station Agent, The Vistitor, and Win Win... all three of which were really nice films. But, that's at least 14 months away so we can forget about it for now.

Also worht noting that a new trailer for Foxcatcher just dropped. It is all Steve Carrell (as John Dupont, wearing a huge nose prosthesis) talking and is more than a little bit creepy. No question this flick is going to be a big Oscar contender.

-Jason "Birdman opens October 17th... can't wait!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Springing off from the conversation in the Top 5 Films of Summer thread...

So, Birdman was the opening night film at the Venice Film Festival a couple days ago. Many folks have pointed out that the opening film at Venice last year was Gravity. Well, Birdman is causing similar kind of buzz. The reviews are almost universally great so far with lots of praise for Michael Keaten as well as the cleverness of the entire film appearing to be one continuous take. Looks like this out is going to be really good. Now, it is probably too dark and strange to be a mainstream hit at the boxoffice (I'll be surprised if it makes more than about $30 million), but it certainly looks like a strong awards contender for Alejandro Inarritu (Dir.) and Michael Keaton. Edward Norton is also getting a lot of praise for his supporting work in the film.

Michael Keaton is about to get pretty hot as an actor because this fall he is shooting Spotlight which will almost certainly be an Awards contender a year from now. Spotlight is going to be an All The Presidents Men kind of story about the Boston Globe journalists who uncovered the Catholic Church sex scadal a few years ago. Keaton is playing the lead journalistic investigator and the film also stars Mark Ruffalo, Stanley Tucci, Rachel McAdams, Liev Schreiber and Aaron Eckhart. It is written and directed by Tom McCarthy, who directed The Station Agent, The Vistitor, and Win Win... all three of which were really nice films. But, that's at least 14 months away so we can forget about it for now.

Also worht noting that a new trailer for Foxcatcher just dropped. It is all Steve Carrell (as John Dupont, wearing a huge nose prosthesis) talking and is more than a little bit creepy. No question this flick is going to be a big Oscar contender.

-Jason "Birdman opens October 17th... can't wait!" Evans
    Also coming this winter...

Interstellar
    Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1
    The Hobbit: Battle of Five Armies
    Annie
    Unbroken (Angelina Jolie's directing debut)

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Also coming this winter...

Interstellar
    Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1
    The Hobbit: Battle of Five Armies
    Annie
    Unbroken (Angelina Jolie's directing debut)
    I really hope Jolie doesn't screw up Unbroken. It was an unbelievable book and I've been looking forward to the movie for quite a while now. I saw the trailer and it looked decent. I just hope she doesn't do anything goofy and just sticks to the script. The story tells itself.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

I posted in another thread about how excited I am about the coming fall film lineup, especially after a wasteland of summer junk.

There's still plenty of junk -- another Hunger Games, another Night at the Museum, another Hobbit movie, a sequel to Dumb and Dumber. Gone Girl is going to be big. Those are all films I'll look at if we have a fall box office contest.

But I'm not interested in seeing any of them. The movies I'm most looking forward to (in order):

1. The Theory of Everything (about a young Stephen Hawking battling ALS)
    2. Birdman
    3. The Imitation Game (a biopic about Alan Turing)
    4. Into the Woods (the Sondheim musical)
    5. Selma (a new Martin Luther King biopic)
    6. Jimi: All Is By My Side (Hendrix biopic)
    7. Unbroken
    8. Iinterstellar
    9. St. Vincent (supposedly an Oscar turn by Murray)
    10 (tie). Mr. Turner (I love the trailer for Mike Leigh's film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GKlo2xWvuI)
    10. The Better Angels (a black and white film about Lincoln's youth, done is the style of Terrance Malik)

I'm also interested -- although a bit leery -- of Ridley Scott's Exodus with Christian Bale

I know that some of these films will be busts, but they are all interesting topics. I'm hoping that most of them deliver.

Evidently

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    I really hope Jolie doesn't screw up Unbroken. It was an unbelievable book and I've been looking forward to the movie for quite a while now. I saw the trailer and it looked decent. I just hope she doesn't do anything goofy and just sticks to the script. The story tells itself.
    I think the movie will cover Zamperini's life until his release and not get into the Billy Graham stuff.

I know some people involved with this movie and they think she did a good job.

SoCal

Totes OT and too meh to search but wowie wow Boyhood was a terrific film. Stunning, in fact. Hawke gets an Oscar nomination best supporting?

I dunno, do you really trust Michael Keaton not to chaw the scenery to nubs in Birdman?
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

The Maze Runner

Feeding off the Hunger Games and Divergent fans The Maze Runner should be a big hit.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Feeding off the Hunger Games and Divergent fans The Maze Runner should be a big hit.
    I know nothing of this movie, but some will be able to see it in a three-screen panoramic format.

Coming up soon is the fall festival season, where snooty critics can see winter films early, and get all hot and bothered and talk in code for months until the rest of us can catch up. Hitfix has a decent rundown; at the bottom of that page is a listing of their 25 most anticipated fall festival releases. I hadn't heard of half of them. If you don't feel like clicking...

25. Eden (Greta Gerwig and a bunch of French people)
    24. The Connection (The French Connection from the French POV, starring Jean Dujardin)
    23. The Keeping Room (Civil War thriller with Brit Marling)
    22. Leviathan (Book of Job set in Russia)
    21. Cymbeline (modern Shakespeare adaptation with Ethan Hawke)
    20. Ned Rifle (ends Hal Hartley's trilogy)
    19. Love and Mercy (biopic of Brian Wilson, played by Paul Dano and John Cusack)
    18. While We're Young (Noah Baumbach film with Ben Stiller)
    17. Wild (Cheryl Strayed's memoir with Reese Witherspoon)
    16. Olive Kitteridge (TV movie with Frances McDormand and Bill Murray)
    15. Cake (Jennifer Aniston and Anna Kendrick in a support group)
    14. Manglehorn (David Gordon Green film with Al Pacino and Holly Hunter)
    13. Good Kill (Gattaca's Andrew Niccol and Ethan Hawke reunite in drone pilot drama)
    12. Pawn Sacrifice (Bobby Fischer biopic starring Tobey Maguire)
    11. Kahlil Gibran's The Prophet (animated adaptation)
    10. The Imitation Game (Benedict Cumberbatch as Alan Turing)
    09. The Theory of Everything (Eddie Redmayne as Stephen Hawking)
    08. 99 Homes (Andrew Garfield/Michael Shannon drama, probably without superhero costumes)
    07. Nightcrawler (Jake Gyllenhaal crime journalism drama, probably without superhero costumes)
    06. Foxcatcher (Steve Carell borrows Nicole Kidman's prosthetic nose)
    05. Men, Women & Children (Jason Reitman adaptation of Internet dating, or something)
    04. Rosewater (Jon Stewart's directorial debut)
    03. Inherent Vice (Thomas Pynchon adaptation from Paul Thomas Anderson)
    02. Birdman (Michael Keaton showcase, probably with superhero costumes)
    01. Gone Girl (David Fincher veers from Gillian Flynn's missing wife book)

That's a lot of indie. I haven't thought about some of these people since the 90s.

A few comments...
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    23. The Keeping Room (Civil War thriller with Brit Marling)
    I will see anything with Brit Marling, though I am disappointed that she does not seem to be making movies from her own scripts any more. All of you need to Netflix The Sound of My Voice and The East this weekend. They are not great films, but are both really interesting and well worth watching.

19. Love and Mercy (biopic of Brian Wilson, played by Paul Dano and John Cusack)
    12. Pawn Sacrifice (Bobby Fischer biopic starring Tobey Maguire)
    10. The Imitation Game (Benedict Cumberbatch as Alan Turing)
    09. The Theory of Everything (Eddie Redmayne as Stephen Hawking)
    Real life is so much more interesting than fiction! Turing's life has been dying for a biopic for ages. He is perhaps the most important not well known man of the 20th century. To some extent, he is the father of the computer. Oh, and his personal life (convicted of the crime of being a homosexual) is equally fascinating. Brian Wilson, Bobby Fischer, and Steven Hawkins are also amazing biopic subjects. I wonder how tortured the movies will portray Wilson and Fischer. In both cases, they were absolute geniuses who's minds really went haywire.

18. While We're Young (Noah Baumbach film with Ben Stiller)
    I was disappointed in Baumbac's last collaboration with Ben Stiller, Greenberg. It had moments, but was uneven and never really went anywhere all that interesting.

11. Kahlil Gibran's The Prophet (animated adaptation)
    Ok, this has potential to be amazing but will probably never work. They got like a dozen different directors to direct each of the different segments. Salma Hayek is the driving force behind this and is the film's producer.

07. Nightcrawler (Jake Gyllenhaal crime journalism drama, probably without superhero costumes)
    The trailer just looks a little bit crazy. I dunno why, but I have a bad feeling about this one. Actually, I do know why, it is the first directing job by noted screenwriter Dan Gilroy. Gilroy wrote Real Steel and The Bourne Legacy, both of which had pretty mediocre stories.

06. Foxcatcher (Steve Carell borrows Nicole Kidman's prosthetic nose)
    On what planet is this movie not the most anticipated festival film of the season?!?! It's gonna be awesome!

05. Men, Women & Children (Jason Reitman adaptation of Internet dating, or something)
    The trailer looks strange, but talking about how the internet (and, more to the point, iphones and other portable devices) have changed the way we interact with each other is fertile ground.

The trailer has people buzzing, but I am not that into it.

03. Inherent Vice (Thomas Pynchon adaptation from Paul Thomas Anderson)
    PT Anderson makes strange, wonderful movies. There Will Be Blood, The Master, Boogie Nights... he gets the most out of his actors. Pretty safe bet that Joaquin Phoenix will get a ton of Oscar buzz for his portrayal of the lead character here. I won't be surprised if someone else in the cast (Josh Brolin, Reese Witherspoon, Owen Wilson?) gets a Supporting Actor/Actress nod as well. That kind of thing tends to happen on a PTAnderson film.

02. Birdman (Michael Keaton showcase, probably with superhero costumes)
    The film that started this thread

01. Gone Girl (David Fincher veers from Gillian Flynn's missing wife book)
    Goes alongside Boyhood, Unbroken, and Foxcatcher as the film generating the most early Oscar buzz. Fincher is pretty much a lock to make a great film. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo was probably his least acclaimed film in 15 years and it was still pretty darn good.

-Jason "so excited for some real quality... the summer was top heavy with about four really wonderful films and then a lot of mediocre ones" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Can't believe I forgot this one on my top 10 list -- it's very near or at the top of my must-see films.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    -Jason "so excited for some real quality... the summer was top heavy with about four really wonderful films and then a lot of mediocre ones" Evans
    Best films of the past summer? Different thread? What do I need to look for as it comes available?

Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    Best films of the past summer? Different thread? What do I need to look for as it comes available?
    Several of us did this in the Top 5 of Summer thread but there was a very clear consensus. Everyone agrees that Edge of Tomorrow, Dawn of the Apes, Guardians, Cap 2, and X-Men were all very good blockbusters. The first two on that list are almost universally praised as two of the best sci-fi films of the past several years.

-Jason "oh, and make sure you see Transformers 4. It is brilliant, amazing, and everything in it makes perfect sense... either that or the exact opposite" Evans

I know nothing of this movie
    It should be fairly big. I can't turn on the tv without seeing previews for it. Same general concept as Hunger Games. Group of guys are trapped inside if a giant maze and don't know how to get out, they don't know how or why they are there. Main character arrives in the maze and everything changes about what they've known since being trapped inside. Along with deadly creatures roaming the maze at night, supplies no longer being sent to them and other odd things happening they have to find a way out and fast.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Anyone seen Maze Runner?

I, for one, am shocked to see a thread about movies on this board that deals with anything other than how much money they made. Like, what is this, the NC State Basketball Report?

Secondly, my male heterosexuality, a rather silly condition if you think about it critically, requires that I see Gone Girl. The trailers make it look like utter garbage, but it has Rosamund Pike in it. Rosamund Pike, people.

Rosamund.

Pike.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I, for one, am shocked to see a thread about movies on this board that deals with anything other than how much money they made. Like, what is this, the NC State Basketball Report?

Secondly, my male heterosexuality, a rather silly condition if you think about it critically, requires that I see Gone Girl. The trailers make it look like utter garbage, but it has Rosamund Pike in it. Rosamund Pike, people.

Rosamund.

Pike.
    She's got a weird hairline particularly when she pulls it back. I noticed this in the Bond film she was in.

Oh wait, was I not supposed to be looking that high up?

Holy cow, nobody is looking forward to Fury?

I can't WAIT. Hoping for the best WWII movie since Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    ... Secondly, my male heterosexuality, a rather silly condition if you think about it critically, requires that I see Gone Girl. The trailers make it look like utter garbage, but it has Rosamund Pike in it. ...
    You sure that on some level of consciousness it is not to get the much ballyhooed peak at Affleck's "little ben?"

Wait .. Rosamund Pike? So I can pretend to be dragged to a chick flick, gaining bonus points, and see Rosamund Pike? Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Holy cow, nobody is looking forward to Fury?

I can't WAIT. Hoping for the best WWII movie since Ryan
    I lowered my expectations when I saw that Brad Pitt's character is named "Wardaddy."