Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Holy cow, nobody is looking forward to Fury?

I can't WAIT. Hoping for the best WWII movie since Ryan
    I'm a WWII history buff and everything I've seen and read about Fury makes it look like utter trash -- a film version of a '50s GI Joe comic book.

Hope I'm wrong, but I thought summer was the time for comic book movies

Perhaps it doesn't qualify as a winter movie, as it will be released on Nov. 7, but I can't wait to see Interstellar.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Perhaps it doesn't qualify as a winter movie, as it will be released on Nov. 7, but I can't wait to see Interstellar.
    Stellar cast: 4 Oscar winners (2 multiple winners), 2 Oscar nominees, one Golden Globe nominee.

This Nolan guy directing sounds familiar

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    I lowered my expectations when I saw that Brad Pitt's character is named "Wardaddy."
    I like the name Wardaddy, but my expectations are lowered by the presence of Shia LeBeouf. I hope he gets squished by another tank fairly early in the movie. Or even better yet, hopefully Wardaddy runs him over.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    ... my expectations are lowered by the presence of Shia LeBeouf. ...
    I had heard he gave up acting. His performances in the Transformers series confirmed the rumors.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    She's got a weird hairline particularly when she pulls it back. I noticed this in the Bond film she was in.

Oh wait, was I not supposed to be looking that high up?
    I love girly weird hairlines. Like , so much. My wife has kind of a swirly one. It's like a swirl right in the front of her forehead.

This is probably too inside-baseball, but I'm in a mode in the last two weeks or so where I just really don't care what impact the things I say have. As if I were about to die in a month, or something. It's a developing situation. Sorry. I'll shut up soon, probably for about six months. I don't know what's wrong with me. My birthday is on Thursday. But here goes.

There's a very fetching woman at work, probably like four, five years younger than us, so approx early 30s, although she has kids who are about my kid's age. Very nice person. Delightful, friendly, professional, unimpeachable in every respect, AFAICT. And, so gosh darn pretty that she needs to just stop it. Like Michelle Pfeiffer and Olivia Wilde, her eyes are "too far apart," but as with them, it totally works in a magnificent fashion. The husband is hella handsome, too. Their kids are probably gonna be like next-level attractive in about two decades. If I'm still alive, their kids will be in magazines I see in Schnucks, if the print media still exists, and if peak oil hasn't ended grocery stores.

I think I'm a gentleman, like I do, I try really hard to be a feminist, or feminist-sympathizer if that's the camp you're in about dudes being able to be feminists, either way, I'm flexible, and stuff, but sometimes the male gaze just rears its ugly head. It just does, man. I almost never check out women without really dark shades on. And of course, now, I'm checking out the moms, not the daughters. I try to be a good guy, I do.

But I'll steal looks at her during meetings, where I act like I'm listening to what people are saying. I'm nodding knowingly at whatever whoever said and stuff, but really I'm checking out her forehead again. Her forehead is so captivating that I think I haven't given this woman a more inappropriate glance ever. I'm not looking at her bust, I'm not looking at her backside, but I am 102% perving on her hairline. She's got my wife's same swirly forehead hair deal but it's, like, more pronounced. She and her husband are both ethnic Irish, I think, based on their surnames. I know they're Catholic as all get-out, from Facebook. She's got the hottest hairline you've ever seen. She puts the women in Medieval paintings to shame. But like, not even Botticelli or Simonetta Vespucci figured out how to have a hair line like this. I'd formulate a social occasion to have an excuse to take a picture of her so you guys know I'm not making this up, but then I'd be even more of a creeper. I'm sure as heck not telling y'all her name so you can creep on her Facebook. But trust me. Best hairline in the history of women in Western Civilization. Hands down.

Why on earth did I just say that out loud?

Anyway, Rosamund Pike is the living end.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I love girly weird hairlines. Like , so much. My wife has kind of a swirly one. It's like a swirl right in the front of her forehead.

This is probably too inside-baseball, but I'm in a mode in the last two weeks or so where I just really don't care what impact the things I say have. As if I were about to die in a month, or something. It's a developing situation. Sorry. I'll shut up soon, probably for about six months. I don't know what's wrong with me. My birthday is on Thursday. But here goes.

There's a very fetching woman at work, probably like four, five years younger than us, so approx early 30s, although she has kids who are about my kid's age. Very nice person. Delightful, friendly, professional, unimpeachable in every respect, AFAICT. And, so gosh darn pretty that she needs to just stop it. Like Michelle Pfeiffer and Olivia Wilde, her eyes are "too far apart," but as with them, it totally works in a magnificent fashion. The husband is hella handsome, too. Their kids are probably gonna be like next-level attractive in about two decades. If I'm still alive, their kids will be in magazines I see in Schnucks, if the print media still exists, and if peak oil hasn't ended grocery stores.

I think I'm a gentleman, like I do, I try really hard to be a feminist, or feminist-sympathizer if that's the camp you're in about dudes being able to be feminists, either way, I'm flexible, and stuff, but sometimes the male gaze just rears its ugly head. It just does, man. I almost never check out women without really dark shades on. And of course, now, I'm checking out the moms, not the daughters. I try to be a good guy, I do.

But I'll steal looks at her during meetings, where I act like I'm listening to what people are saying. I'm nodding knowingly at whatever whoever said and stuff, but really I'm checking out her forehead again. Her forehead is so captivating that I think I haven't given this woman a more inappropriate glance ever. I'm not looking at her bust, I'm not looking at her backside, but I am 102% perving on her hairline. She's got my wife's same swirly forehead hair deal but it's, like, more pronounced. She and her husband are both ethnic Irish, I think, based on their surnames. I know they're Catholic as all get-out, from Facebook. She's got the hottest hairline you've ever seen. She puts the women in Medieval paintings to shame. But like, not even Botticelli or Simonetta Vespucci figured out how to have a hair line like this. I'd formulate a social occasion to have an excuse to take a picture of her so you guys know I'm not making this up, but then I'd be even more of a creeper. I'm sure as heck not telling y'all her name so you can creep on her Facebook. But trust me. Best hairline in the history of women in Western Civilization. Hands down.

That was just weird, dude. But you go with your bad self.

I'm not looking at her bust, I'm not looking at her backside, but I am 102% perving on her hairline. She's got my wife's same swirly forehead hair deal but it's, like, more pronounced.
    You mean like this?

A few quick comments on movies coming soon that I have seen lately. If folks want a longer review of any of these, let me know.

Nightcrawler with Ryan Gossling is very, very good. He is utterly chilling and captivating as a guy who can't find work until he get a camcorder and starts chasing whatever comes over the police scanner and selling his footage to the local TV stations. His moral compass is more than a little askew and though the movie felt at times like it wasn't really going anywhere, it builds to an incredible climax that is unpredictable and clever. It is fairly rare for a film to put someone this creepy and distasteful at its center, but it works. Gossling is in literally every scene in the movie and he is probably going to get a ton of award buzz for this.

St. Vincent
    is another beautifully acted movie. I know Bill Murray is getting all the buzz here, but I thought some of the supporting work was great as well. I could see Naomi Watts or Melissa McCarthy getting some recognition too and the kid Jaeden Lieberher is fabulous. The movie has a pretty obvious plot and runs a bit slow at times in the middle, but there was not a dry eye in the house at the end. It is amazing that Murray has only gotten 1 Golden globe nomination in his career (Lost in Translation) and zero Academy Award nominations. The Best Actor category is really, really, really full and competitive this year, but he's in the running.

I have not see Fury, but I know several critics who I trust who did see it. They described it as excessively violent. It is tense during the action scenes, but lags and feels kinda forced during the dramatic portions. They all said it was good, but not great. They don't think it will be in any award conversations.

-Jason "I'm seeing Fury next week before it opens" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

Nightcrawler with Ryan Gossling is very, very good. He is utterly chilling and captivating as a guy who can't find work until he get a camcorder and starts chasing whatever comes over the police scanner and selling his footage to the local TV stations. His moral compass is more than a little askew and though the movie felt at times like it wasn't really going anywhere, it builds to an incredible climax that is unpredictable and clever. It is fairly rare for a film to put someone this creepy and distasteful at its center, but it works. Gossling is in literally every scene in the movie and he is probably going to get a ton of award buzz for this.
    Ryan Gosling should win an Academy Award for his convincing performance if he convinced you that he is Jake Gyllenhaal. Gyllenhaal is the star of Nightcrawler
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

St. Vincent
    is another beautifully acted movie. I know Bill Murray is getting all the buzz here, but I thought some of the supporting work was great as well. I could see Naomi Watts or Melissa McCarthy getting some recognition too and the kid Jaeden Lieberher is fabulous. The movie has a pretty obvious plot and runs a bit slow at times in the middle, but there was not a dry eye in the house at the end. It is amazing that Murray has only gotten 1 Golden globe nomination in his career (Lost in Translation) and zero Academy Award nominations. The Best Actor category is really, really, really full and competitive this year, but he's in the running.
    And while we're correcting Jason, Bill Murray was nominated for an Academy Award for Lost in Translation. He lost to Sean Penn (as did fellow nominees Johnny Depp, Ben Kingsley, and Jude Law). Also, he has 4 Golden Globe nominations, winning for Lost in Translation and not winning for Hyde Park on Hudson and Ghostbusters (comedy lead) or Rushmore (supporting).

Exodus

Went to see Fury over the weekend and saw a preview for Exodus: Gods and Kings. This is the first time I had even heard of it. It's being released mid-December with Ridley Scott directing and Christian Bale as Moses. The trailer looked great with spectacular special effects and obviously an interesting story with the plagues and all.

No one has mentioned this as a winter contender but I would have to think that such a familiar Biblical story getting the Hollywood treatment would play well to A LOT of the christian crowd who might not normally visit theaters (think Passion of the Christ). Now if it doesn't follow the original storyline I could see them shunning it kind of like Noah earlier this year.

Am I the only person who had not even heard of this before now?
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Am I the only person who had not even heard of this before now?
    Well, it's been mentioned early in this thread ... but not talked about very much.

Films people will be looking forward to in two winters.

Get ready for another Disney heroine to obsess over: Disney Animation announced today that it will release its 56th animated feature, Moana, in late 2016.

Moana is described as a “a sweeping, CG-animated comedy-adventure,” and takes place in ancient Oceania in the South Pacific. The film will tell the story of its titular character, a teenage girl and “born navigator” who “sets sail in search of a fabled island,” according to a summary from Disney.

Just now reading this. All I can say is that you will avoid the oft stated phrase, "My eyes are up here."

I've seen Nightcrawler, Birdman, and St. Vincent in recent days... who wants a review? I think three Best Acting nominations are coming from those three flicks.

-Jason "I also saw John Wick... which will not win any awards (not even a Razzie)" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

... -Jason "I also saw John Wick... which will not win any awards (not even a Razzie)" Evans
    But this is "Keanu Reeves' best work since 'The Matrix' "

Even if true, how bad is a movie where this is the choice for an advertising hook?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    But this is "Keanu Reeves' best work since 'The Matrix' "

Even if true, how bad is a movie where this is the choice for an advertising hook?
    Apparently, it could be much worse given the statement that it won't even win a razzie.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Apparently, it could be much worse given the statement that it won't even win a razzie.
    Exactly. What I meant by saying it "won't even win a Razzie" is that the film isn't so terrible as to be Razzie-worthy. John Wick features some horrible acting and scripting, but the action sequences are pretty good.

-Jason "it is better than 49 Ronin... which ain't saying much" Evans

Cool

Swirly hairlines? Seriously? All this time I've been worrying about my rear-end, when I should have been focusing on that pesky cow-lick in my bangs. Didn't know it could be such a turn-on. Or maybe you're just a freak!