Duke top school for Bros

http://www.collegemagazine.com/edito...hools-for-Bros

When I was an undergrad in the early 90s, Bro culture certainly dominated from a noise level, but it represented a minority of students. As it has gotten tougher and tougher to gain admission, I can only imagine that the Bro minority has increased, but perhaps the culture has retained its high noise level. Do we think we are #1, according to this magazine, simply as a result of the prominence, both in infamy and recent championship hardware, of the lacrosse team?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    http://www.collegemagazine.com/edito...hools-for-Bros

When I was an undergrad in the early 90s, Bro culture certainly dominated from a noise level, but it represented a minority of students. As it has gotten tougher and tougher to gain admission, I can only imagine that the Bro minority has increased, but perhaps the culture has retained its high noise level. Do we think we are #1, according to this magazine, simply as a result of the prominence, both in infamy and recent championship hardware, of the lacrosse team?
    That article is a joke. On a percentage basis, no way Duke is even close to the level of Penn State, Florida, Ohio St, UCSB, etc. I guess it's simply because of the high profile nature of our lacrosse team....Early 90s Duke is WAY WAY more "bro" than current Duke. I would agree that it's possible a very small minority can make a lot of noise, though.

This describes a very small number of Duke students (except for maybe the boat shoes part):
    Decked out in cargo shorts, fake Ray Bans and boat shoes while wearing an inane facial expression that reveals a lack of brain activity, bros are taking over college campuses. Whether they're holding a pong ball, lax stick or longboard, they're destined for a journey of epic bro-portions.
    based on Greek life, party scene and the campus gym
    Duke partying is incredibly tame compared to every B1G / SEC school...maybe we have the gym going for us to up the "bro-ness," but I call that having a student body with an active lifestyle / caring about health and wellness. If you look at the party school rankings by Princeton Review and the like, Duke is never on the list. That should tell you bro culture is not that prevalent at Duke.

I think it's probably safe to dismiss as terminally fact-challenged an article that refers to Lehigh's seven national championships in lacrosse.

Fun Fact

Huh... basketball is "also huge at Duke". Interesting tidbit!

Awww come on folks! For once we're not being picked on for sneering at others.
    Did anybody read the latest Alumni mag? So many different viewpoints clamoring for attention and respect at dear old Duke...
    Surely there's room for a few bros in the "hug it out" culture at Duke.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

I think many of us are hoping this thread just kind of goes away through indifference. But then that can be said of much I post.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    I think it's probably safe to dismiss as terminally fact-challenged an article that refers to Lehigh's seven national championships in lacrosse.
    While Lehigh hasn't even been to the NCAA tournament since 1971, when the format evolved into its current form, Lehigh does seem to have won 7 titles between 1890 and 1921 (I should quickly admit that I didn't attend finals before about 1915 and so can't verify this listing from wikipedia).

Year Champion Year Champion
    1881 Harvard 1909 Johns Hopkins
    1882 Harvard 1910 Swarthmore
    1883 Harvard, Princeton, Yale 1911 Johns Hopkins
    1884 Princeton 1912 Harvard
    1885 Harvard 1913 Johns Hopkins, Harvard
    1886 Harvard 1914 Navy, Lehigh, Cornell
    1887 Harvard 1915 Johns Hopkins
    1888 Princeton 1916 Lehigh, Cornell
    1889 Princeton 1917 Lehigh
    1890 Lehigh 1918 Johns Hopkins, Navy
    1891 Johns Hopkins 1919 Johns Hopkins, Navy
    1892 Stevens Tech 1920 Syracuse, Lehigh, Navy
    1893 Lehigh 1921 Navy, Lehigh
    1894 Stevens Tech 1922 Syracuse, Johns Hopkins, Navy
    1895 New York University 1923 Army, Johns Hopkins
    1896 Lehigh 1924 Syracuse, Johns Hopkins
    1897 Lehigh 1925 Navy, Syracuse
    1898 Johns Hopkins 1926 Johns Hopkins
    1899 Johns Hopkins 1927 Johns Hopkins
    1900 Johns Hopkins 1928 Johns Hopkins, Maryland, Navy, Rutgers
    1901 Swarthmore 1929 Navy, St. John's (MD)
    1902 Johns Hopkins 1930 St. John's (MD)
    1903 Johns Hopkins 1931 St. John's (MD)
    1904 Swarthmore 1932 Johns Hopkins
    1905 Swarthmore 1933 Johns Hopkins
    1906 Johns Hopkins 1934 Johns Hopkins
    1907 Johns Hopkins, Cornell 1935 Princeton
    1908 Johns Hopkins -- --