Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steak Dinner?

Since Wheat is buying I'll take it however it comes but if it's medium rare that'd be just great. Since I'm coming all the way to Charlotte shouldn't we see a show too. Looks like our options are Chris Thile at the Knight Theater, Rachael Yamagato at the Visualite or, if you must, Darius Rucker at the Uptown Amphitheater. I prefer good seats so please reserve tickets early - thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I could not agree more! I typically tell a good steak place to "show the meat the fire, introduce them to each other, but don't let them become friends." Pink in the middle is about the most I can stand... and if it is more red than pink, that's most definitely a good thing!

-Jason "people who order expensive steaks, get them cooked well, and then put salt on the meat the moment it arrives at the table should be served horsemeat... they would not know the difference" Evans
    Damn, Jason. We have the exact same philosophy on meat. If I see anything that resembles grey/light brown in the middle, I get a non-red meat induced heart attack (technically, steak-induced. Visually, steak-induced).

Having lived in Europe for a significant portion of my life (where the meat is prepared well but the quality of the meat is about as good as horse meat), I absolutely love the US. And the US has gotten sooooooooooo much better at cooking the meat in the last decade. I can now enjoy a delicious steak rare without having to concern myself with overpaying.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Anything above medium-rare should be illegal. I think that's something the House and Senate could probably agree on.
    BD0js.jpg

Not sure where it comes from, but I found this chart. I agree that "blue rare" is a tad too rare. Gotta get hot enough inside for the juices (fat) to flow a little bit.

-Jason "the medium rare shown there is too done for my taste" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I like my steak medium, and I don't want any Steak Nazis telling me how I should prepare my legal-bought beef! Next thing you know, somebody's gonna say something bad about Chelsea, Mom, apple pie, and Jose Mourinho and his buddy Didier Drogba, who single-handedly stopped a war!
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Not sure where it comes from, but I found this chart. I agree that "blue rare" is a tad too rare. Gotta get hot enough inside for the juices (fat) to flow a little bit.

-Jason "the medium rare shown there is too done for my taste" Evans
    I'm not afraid of "blue rare" if it's a spectacular cut of meat.

I usually tell the server to just walk the cow through a warm room.

I once had a dinner with a gentleman who instructed the waiter, "Just pull its horns, wipe its a_s, and put it on the plate."

Pittsburgh rate for me, please.

And filet mignon is fine and all, but a nice thick ribeye is a hell of a lot better. Best cut, bar none.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

And filet mignon is fine and all, but a nice thick ribeye is a hell of a lot better. Best cut, bar none.
    OldPhiKap, we often see eye to eye on nearly everything. But you are way off base here. Rib eye? Sure, it's good, for a Sunday brunch!

But if you want that delicious cut of beef that's flavorful, doesn't need any of these fancy sauces, and pairs well with a rich Bordeaux and any sides (if even needed), gotta go with the short loin. NY Strips all the way!
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    OldPhiKap, we often see eye to eye on nearly everything. But you are way off base here. Rib eye? Sure, it's good, for a Sunday brunch!

But if you want that delicious cut of beef that's flavorful, doesn't need any of these fancy sauces, and pairs well with a rich Bordeaux and any sides (if even needed), gotta go with the short loin. NY Strips all the way!
    Just to shake up the grill, I prefer flap meat, which makes a perfect carne asada, with only salt and garlic paste. It reinvents beef. And as sides, you will want pico de gallo, pinto or black beans, and rice. Corn tortillas seem to go best. Negra Modelo is pretty good to wash things down.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Since Wheat is buying I'll take it however it comes but if it's medium rare that'd be just great. Since I'm coming all the way to Charlotte shouldn't we see a show too. Looks like our options are Chris Thile at the Knight Theater, Rachael Yamagato at the Visualite or, if you must, Darius Rucker at the Uptown Amphitheater. I prefer good seats so please reserve tickets early - thanks!
    If you have an opportunity to see Chris Thile, you see Chris Thile. Darius Rucker is to Chris Thile as raw horse meat is to that medium rare ribeye (tying back to the thread theme, you know).

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Just to shake up the grill, I prefer flap meat, which makes a perfect carne asada, with only salt and garlic paste. It reinvents beef. And as sides, you will want pico de gallo, pinto or black beans, and rice. Corn tortillas seem to go best. Negra Modelo is pretty good to wash things down.
    When I'm feeling like traditional Mexican, this is a beautiful meal. I actually prefer flour tortillas with my carne asada - provides a little more bite. I would also add guacamole with the sides. Adds a little bit of a creamy texture to the dish (without ruining it by putting in sour cream).

With the flap meat, you really need to put it on the grill for 1 minute per side on super high heat. Get that delicious char without over cooking that delicious meat.

My God, is it dinner yet? Damn you tasty food!

When Troublemaker surfaces I'll make the reservation...I'm starting to get hungry too.

Ps...I'm about to go offshore for a couple of days for some yellowtail snapper and black fin tuna that we usually ice down immediately and then hunt down the wasabi and a sharp knife...can't eat red meet all the time, ya know?
    Last edited by Wheat/"/"/"; 08-28-2014 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    When Troublemaker surfaces I'll make the reservation...I'm starting to get hungry too.

Ps...I'm about to go offshore for a couple of days for some yellowtail snapper and black fin tuna that we usually ice down immediately and then hunt down the wasabi and a sharp knife...can't eat red meet all the time, ya know?
    Now tuna, that is where the "blue rare" comes in quite handy. I just want to sear a few sear lines on the outside, about 5-10 seconds should do the trick.

Wheat - good to have you back. You've been gone to long, just like academics for UNC athletes (couldn't resist).

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    If you have an opportunity to see Chris Thile, you see Chris Thile. Darius Rucker is to Chris Thile as raw horse meat is to that medium rare ribeye (tying back to the thread theme, you know).
    Yes I agree completely. Since Wheat is taking me out for dinner and a show I wanted to phrase it in such a way as to create the illusion that he was the Decider when, in fact, the decision was already made. This is how my wife handles things so I thought I would take a lesson for my night out on the town with Wheat

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Calling Devildeac, do you have a better beer pairing suggestion for this? I'd have to go with a Highland Gaelic Ale, or three

If anyone is heading out west to LA or LV, give me a heads up. Would love to join you for a steak. Just no comments on how I like mine done.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Calling Devildeac, do you have a better beer pairing suggestion for this? I'd have to go with a Highland Gaelic Ale, or three
    A Shelter Pale Ale would be nice. A Brooklyn or Lost Coast Downtown Brown Ale would be fine, too.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.