Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Would it be sufficient if 15 or so white guys beat a black guy into unconsciousness? Serious question. Seems to me it should be. But I also believe the converse should be sufficient. Guess I am swayed by a mob attacking an individual. Should be an inference of a hate crime.
    Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Funny how certain people on this board were in such an outrage over Donald Sterling's comments, but when actual physical violence takes place they are nowhere to be seen. Some how I get the feeling if the roles had been reversed and Jackson and several of his white buddies had beat the daylights out of some poor black kid this would be a major incident and they'd be riding on their moral high horse. I bet we'd even be seeing Reverend William Barber leading a march on UNC as we speak to right the horrible injustice.
    Has there been any indication that the all of the 11ish unsuspended players were black? Because you two seem to be assuming they were, but I haven't seen anything mentioning it in this thread. It seems to me that really ought to be established before a racial motivation is suggested, and not simply taken for granted.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukeface88 View Post
    Has there been any indication that the all of the 11ish unsuspended players were black? Because you two seem to be assuming they were, but I haven't seen anything mentioning it in this thread. It seems to me that really ought to be established before a racial motivation is suggested, and not simply taken for granted.
    My comment is directed at the four on one, nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    And let us never forget the Sacrificial Five -- the walk-ons that Roy abandoned to the FSU mob so he could protect his staff and his starters in Tallahassee.
    Blue Steel can handle anything ...

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Would it be sufficient if 15 or so white guys beat a black guy into unconsciousness? Serious question. Seems to me it should be. But I also believe the converse should be sufficient. Guess I am swayed by a mob attacking an individual. Should be an inference of a hate crime.
    A presumption of guilt regarding a motivation? So the perps should have the burden of proving their non-racial motivations? With due respect, I'm not down with the idea. It's not really how we handle criminal law in our system.

Funny how certain people on this board were in such an outrage over Donald Sterling's comments, but when actual physical violence takes place they are nowhere to be seen. Some how I get the feeling if the roles had been reversed and Jackson and several of his white buddies had beat the daylights out of some poor black kid this would be a major incident and they'd be riding on their moral high horse. I bet we'd even be seeing Reverend William Barber leading a march on UNC as we speak to right the horrible injustice.
    1. Sterling's racist comments were recorded and uncontrovertibly racist. On the other hand, here I haven't seen any suggestion of a racial motivation.

2. There seems to be a disdain in ncexnyc's comment for a possible protest if the player had been black and the perps white. If such a protest regarding white-on-black violence would be unwarranted without evidence of racist motivation, it's not clear to me how jumping to an assumption of racism here would be appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Wholeheartedly agree. My hatred of UNC used to come with a dose of respect. No longer. I know it's sacrilegious but I could honestly care less about them and the rivalry. They are shameful even to be associated with. Sad really.
    Don't you mean that you could NOT care any less about them?
    Love, Ima

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    A presumption of guilt regarding a motivation? So the perps should have the burden of proving their non-racial motivations? With due respect, I'm not down with the idea. It's not really how we handle criminal law in our system.

1. Sterling's racist comments were recorded and uncontrovertibly racist. On the other hand, here I haven't seen any suggestion of a racial motivation.

2. There seems to be a disdain in ncexnyc's comment for a possible protest if the player had been black and the perps white. If such a protest regarding white-on-black violence would be unwarranted without evidence of racist motivation, it's not clear to me how jumping to an assumption of racism here would be appropriate.
    Concerning Sterling's remarks. There where some on this board who didn't care if it was proven whether the tape was valid or not. The fact that it was attributed to him was good enough for them. There were some who didn't care how the tape was made public either, so much for their highly ethical stance.

Now as to your second point, I'm not sure what world some of you live in, but it seems to me that many on this board just aren't in touch with the real world. It doesn't matter if the attack was four whites on one black and had absolutely nothing to do with racial motivation. There would be plenty of people out there who would love to make it one.

Concerning Sterling's remarks. There where some on this board who didn't care if it was proven whether the tape was valid or not. The fact that it was attributed to him was good enough for them. There were some who didn't care how the tape was made public either, so much for their highly ethical stance.

Now as to your second point, I'm not sure what world some of you live in, but it seems to me that many on this board just aren't in touch with the real world. It doesn't matter if the attack was four whites on one black and had absolutely nothing to do with racial motivation. There would be plenty of people out there who would love to make it one.
    Easy, there, big fella! Sterling admitted the tape was of him. And it's not a court of law -- it's a court of public opinion. Therefore, the process of the release of the tape doesn't make any difference. And your statement, "So much for their highly ethical stance," is both wrong and unfortunate.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Easy, there, big fella! Sterling admitted the tape was of him. And it's not a court of law -- it's a court of public opinion. Therefore, the process of the release of the tape doesn't make any difference. And your statement, "So much for their highly ethical stance," is both wrong and unfortunate.
    My last comment on this will be to remind all of you how the media covered the event which took place in 2006.

Well it turns out there actually was a police report, well sorta...

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/09/...=/99/100/&rh=1