Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Survivor League Football 2014

Would love to join again if you're up for setting it up, Mr. Commish.

Done. Yahoo group #12712
    Password: dbrdevils

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Done. Yahoo group #12712
    Password: dbrdevils
    We should do a no mistake and a 1 mistake league again, like we always do. I'm too busy at the moment, but if no one has set up the 1 mistake league, I will do that soon.

-Jason "thanks for handling that, Wilson!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I'm in!
    Bob Green

Link to the group for anyone who needs it:
    http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/survival/12712

The 1-strike group is now ready. It is:

Id: 13948
    password: goduke

-Jason
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

-Jason
    Link:
    http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/survival/13948

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Note- the direct link to each pool only works once you have signed up for that pool. What you really need to do is to go to the Survival Football home page and click on "join a group." You will be asked for the group # and password. Then, you just make your picks each week.

-Jason "we've come close but have never had another go perfect in Survival... it is sooooo hard to do!" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

-Jason
    I'm in!
    Bob Green

BTTT. So far, we only have 1/3 as many participants as last year. All are welcome!

Our numbers are slowly creeping upward, but we're still well short of our usual participation numbers. Jump in, people.

I'll be fodder for the cannons...

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    All right, I signed up. But I want you to know that it was at great personal sacrifice. I do not intend to watch any football this year unless Duke is involved. And I'll be watching Duke because Son of Bostondevil is a cofounder of Cutsboro (and tends to sit in the front row at games). Once he graduates, I might not even watch Duke.

OK, if the Patriots make it to the Super Bowl, I'll probably watch the Super Bowl. But I'm even ticked off at the Patriots right now.

Reasons why I've flipped over on football.

1) concussions
    2) Roger Goodell makes $44 million a year
    3) Aaron Hernandez
    4) The NFL is a non-profit, otherwise we wouldn't know Roger Goodell's salary
    5) Ray Rice
    6) Salary caps. Part of Roger Goodell's job is to keep the owners from paying the talent
    7) Heck - just this - http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/t...g-nfl-players/

Basically the league screws over the players as much as possible, the players are not the most upstanding of individuals, the money involved is obscene (yet somehow taxpayers foot large potions of the bills), and I'm mad as hell and I just can't take it anymore.

See - personal sacrifice! I signed up for the email reminders because I probably won't pay attention to whether or not I'm still in. That said, I love a challenge. Let's see if I can last past the first week when I don't intend to pay attention to the games.

Oops, almost forgot
    8) Eli Manning

I'm in.

BD, I wish you would tell us how you really feel.

BD, I can't spork you right now, but you and I are really on the same wavelength on this set of issues. In particular, this passage exactly sums up my feelings about the NFL:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Basically the league screws over the players as much as possible, the players are not the most upstanding of individuals, the money involved is obscene (yet somehow taxpayers foot large potions of the bills), and I'm mad as hell and I just can't take it anymore.
    I've also made my (angry and betrayed) feelings about the Atlanta Braves' future abundantly clear, here and in a number of other places. I have stuck to my guns and watched zero MLB this year, and I intend to watch the NFL only in the most casual fashion this fall (of course, it's relatively easy to abandon the portrait of mediocrity that is five decades of Atlanta Falcons history). I am genuinely astounded at the precipitous drop in my pro sports viewing in 2014, and within another couple of years, I believe I'll be watching essentially zero of the four major sports leagues. Instead, I now go to more concerts and theater. Today, I bought ballet tickets (no, seriously).
    I continue to watch Duke sports because, frankly, I need some kind of sports fix, and I justify that by pointing to the many positives Duke has brought into my life (as opposed to my decidedly negative return on investment in professional sports). I'm getting more into soccer because I enjoy the global feel of the game and I want the U.S. to continue improving.
    Frankly, I have no good explanation for why I've signed up for the survivor pool, other than that I'm among the best performers pretty much every year. This post is quite an aside too...perhaps it bears branching into a new thread.

Do we need to have picks in before tonight's game? I just realized the first game is tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    Do we need to have picks in before tonight's game? I just realized the first game is tonight.
    It appears there is still time:

"Deadline to change pick: 9/7/2014 12:00 pm CDT"

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    It appears there is still time:

"Deadline to change pick: 9/7/2014 12:00 pm CDT"
    Thanks! I guess that means if we wait until Sunday, we can't pick the Thursday night game.

Holy smokes! I may be out after 1 week.

If this first week is any indication, I might go back to picking whoever plays the chefs.