Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Super Freak!
    Super Freak!
    He's Super Freak - ey!

Well, I think I may have had my shortest affiliation with rooting for a team -- what has it been, like five days?
    Mario has certainly had his fair share of craziness in and around him, but he's a good guy at heart. The video of him embracing his adoptive Italian mother after they beat Germany in the semis of Euro 2012 is pretty moving. And for all his reputed unprofessionalism, he's a staunch teetotaler.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    Great move for Liverpool at that price. They need a guy like Mario as much for UCL as they do for EPL, and he'll provide depth there. I'm not sure how a front line of Sturridge, Sterling and Balotelli work though unless I'm missing something. They all finish the play, right? The great thing about Suarez was he was a "rising tide lifts all boats kind of player," especially with respect to Sturridge's game. He created as much as he scored, and had Liverpool been playing in Europe last year, I think he would have challenged CR7 for the the Golden Balloon thingy.
    I love the move. The guy is younger than Sturridge! Check this out:

25 - Lovren
    24 - Sturridge
    24 - Sakho
    24 - Allen
    24 - Henderson
    24 - Balotelli
    23 - Borini
    22 - Moreno
    22 - Countinho
    21 - Ilori
    20 - Manquillo
    20 - Can
    20 - Suso
    20 - Markovic
    19 - Sterling (!)
    19 - Origi
    18 - Ibe

Too bad there's no U-25 Champions League! As much as I hate to compare us to those plastics, we're firmly on the Chelsea model.

It's interesting, A-Tex, that you mention Balo/Studge/Sterling struggling to play together. Sterling was an absolute revelation over the 2nd half of last season (and into the summer). It's important to remember too that it wasn't just him breaking in behind via raw pace. He played at the tip of the diamond against United when we smoked them at Old Trafford. The kid's close control is incredible and he's got - dare I say - Messi-esque balance in terms of it appearing as though his center of gravity is in this calves. Not only that, he's disciplined defensively and willing to work diligently to win the ball back wherever he's playing. As I count, he's played right back, right wing back, right wing, right outside forward, left outside forward, and the #10 for us (and I bet I've missed some). I'm not kidding when I say the kid is worth 50 million pounds. He should be given the Liverpool #7 shirt (no small honor) and a raise. STAT.

I'd be surprised to see Sturridge and Balotelli on the field together a tremendous amount though. We're hoping to play 60+ matches this year and we'll need two legitimate top-class center forwards for share that workload. Sturridge has a history of injury problems and Balotelli has a history of disciplinary problems (which we're hoping Brendan and Dr Peters can work on). That being said, I do not think Sturridge and Balotelli are redundant. I think Balotelli is more of a creator than Sturridge and Sturridge is more of a 'break in behind' CF than Balotelli. So I wouldn't be surprised to see them on the field in some circumstances, but I believe the ultimate goal of acquiring Balotelli is simply to have depth at a crucial position where our main man has had injury problems.

In any case, this is the first summer since I started following Liverpool closely where I really believe we addressed ALL of our most pressing needs. It's going to be a great EPL season.

YNWA.

High drama at Goodison Park today. Gunners stole a point with two goals in the final 7 minutes of regulation. Everton have now blown solid leads in both of their first two matches. Seems a continuation of their fumbling away a Champs' League spot down the stretch last season.

Strong statement from City yesterday with a sound beating of Liverpool. Seems clear that the Reds indeed need help up top. Hopes are that Balotelli (who was on the premises but not in uniform yesterday) will be that man. Brendan Rodgers has shown an ability to moderate the behavior of otherwise erratic players and get a lot out of them (see Suarez, Luis). It will be interesting to see if he can do the same with 'Pool's newest would-be bad boy.

Looks like we may be at White Hart Lane for Spurs - Liverpool on Sunday. Either that or England - Norway at Wembley on Wednesday night.

Man U took quite the thrashing from the third-division Milton Keynes Dons in their League Cup match yesterday:
    http://www.espnfc.us/capital-one-cup...apital-one-cup
    After a deeply disappointing 2013-14 campaign, things are not off to a good start for the Red Devils this year either. New manager and supposed tactical genius Louis van Gaal has so far looked anything but, with no wins yet in three official matches. It may be time to crank up the "When will he get sacked?" pool.
    It's very early and United are likely to right their ship to at least some extent, but there are more than a few people around the world who'd love to see them suffer a meltdown season akin to some of unc's recent efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Man U took quite the thrashing from the third-division Milton Keynes Dons in their League Cup match yesterday:
    http://www.espnfc.us/capital-one-cup...apital-one-cup
    After a deeply disappointing 2013-14 campaign, things are not off to a good start for the Red Devils this year either. New manager and supposed tactical genius Louis van Gaal has so far looked anything but, with no wins yet in three official matches. It may be time to crank up the "When will he get sacked?" pool.
    It's very early and United are likely to right their ship to at least some extent, but there are more than a few people around the world who'd love to see them suffer a meltdown season akin to some of unc's recent efforts.
    As a Gooner, count me in on that thought. RVP is worthy of such a team-fate...

They just spent a record sum on di Maria, though.

Just wait a year, Throaty. In 2015-16, there will be a team in the Premiership that is truly worthy of your support: Nottingham Forest.

(sung to the tune of "I'm Coming Out," by Diana Ross)

There's a new team coming up
    And we just had to live
    And we wanna give
    We're completely positive
    We know this time around
    We're gonna do it
    Like you never knew it
    Ooh, we'll make it through

WE'RE COMING UP
    We want the world to know
    Got to let it show

(Or, alternatively)

Psycho killed it
    Qu'est-ce que c'est
    Fa fa fa fa, fa fa fa fa fa fa
    Better run run run run
    Run run run away
    Oh oh oh OH ... Aiyiyiyiyi OOH

Tottenham-Liverpool is very entertaining.

And I support Talking Heads quotes, for any and all reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Tottenham-Liverpool is very entertaining.

And I support Talking Heads quotes, for any and all reasons.
    There's considerable hand-wringing in some Merseyside circles over Balotelli's potential to be a Liverpool chemistry-wrecker, but my goodness, the Reds' attack has certainly looked sharp in his first outing. Agreed that this has been a fun game to watch.

There's considerable hand-wringing in some Merseyside circles over Balotelli's potential to be a Liverpool chemistry-wrecker, but my goodness, the Reds' attack has certainly looked sharp in his first outing. Agreed that this has been a fun game to watch.
    Yeah, I have not been a Balotelli fan in the past. But he was a consummate professional today and was fun to watch. He didn't even blink on that no-call where he was taken out on the first half sliding "tackle" by Dier.

A great weekend for Liverpool: 3-0 win at Tottenham (at least they're getting better? 5-0, 4-0, now 3-0), Arsenal draw, ManU draw, Man City loss, Everton loss.

6 pts out of 3 matches, including two really tough away, is a great return. Also, we finally kept a clean sheet!

I'm wondering how ManU will make out with all these new signings, $240M total spend/$180M net spend this summer. It seems very reactionary, splashing cash on expensive pieces that might not fit together. Could be boom or bust I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by duke09hms View Post
    A great weekend for Liverpool: 3-0 win at Tottenham (at least they're getting better? 5-0, 4-0, now 3-0), Arsenal draw, ManU draw, Man City loss, Everton loss.

6 pts out of 3 matches, including two really tough away, is a great return. Also, we finally kept a clean sheet!

I'm wondering how ManU will make out with all these new signings, $240M total spend/$180M net spend this summer. It seems very reactionary, splashing cash on expensive pieces that might not fit together. Could be boom or bust I feel.
    I also thought Liverpool did well with their transfer work...if Balotelli behaves himself, he's an absolute steal at 16 million, and their attack looked terrific on Sunday morning. They could have easily had 5 or 6 if Balo had been closer to midseason form.
    Agreed as well re: Man U. Falcao is certainly a sexy and exciting acquisition, but like you've said, he may or may not fit well with their other pieces. Also, the attack wasn't really where the Red Devils needed the most help. Their defense still seems to be a bit of a mess. Furthermore, their exorbitant spending could get them in trouble down the road if they miss out on next years' Champs League revenue and/or run up against Financial Fair Play regs.

So Liverpool is crapping the bed in the EPL with losses to mid-tier Aston Villa and West Ham. The only saving grace is that ManU, Everton, and Tottenham also enjoy losing to weak opponents.

Top 3 looks to be City/Chelsea chasing the title, Arsenal a solid 3rd, then a 4-way fight for 4th between Liverpool, Tottenham, Everton, and ManU.

Sad to say it, but it looks like Steven Gerrard is way past it, and his form has nose-dived this season. I think our back 4 of Moreno-Sakho-Lovren-Manquillo should start as many games as possible to establish rhythm and maybe stop conceding easy goals. Gerrard and Lucas cannot play together; both are too immobile, and I can't see why Rodgers still tries this from time to time. It's like K telling Quinn to pressure any starting PG, so he can get blown by over and over. Either drop Lucas to play Gerrard at DM, which still looks awkward for him or Lucas to play DM until Can comes back, and Gerrard to come on at AM as a super-sub.

Question is, does Rodgers have the balls to drop Gerrard?

Liverpool just beat Middlesbrough 14-13 in penalties in the League Cup. Yes, both goalies scored. Crazy stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by toughbuff1 View Post
    Liverpool just beat Middlesbrough 14-13 in penalties in the League Cup. Yes, both goalies scored. Crazy stuff!
    Nuts. Might not be the best outcome for 'Pool, though...120 minutes of play just ahead of this weekend's critical Merseyside derby can't have been what they were hoping for.
    As for my Gunners, I'm annoyed they lost to Southampton today, but it might not be the worst thing to cross one cup competition off the list, especially with Debuchy now confirmed out for ~3 months. And it increasingly looks like there's not that much shame in losing to Soton this year. They've got quite a frisky side. Good for them.

Nuts. Might not be the best outcome for 'Pool, though...120 minutes of play just ahead of this weekend's critical Merseyside derby can't have been what they were hoping for.
    As for my Gunners, I'm annoyed they lost to Southampton today, but it might not be the worst thing to cross one cup competition off the list, especially with Debuchy now confirmed out for ~3 months. And it increasingly looks like there's not that much shame in losing to Soton this year. They've got quite a frisky side. Good for them.
    Have no fear, Forest will put Spurs through the wringer for you tomorrow night.

As promised: 65 min, Spurs 0-1 Forest (Grant 61)

With the last 10 games down the home stretch, I thought it might be good to revisit this.

From a Liverpool perspective, it's been a complete 180. After our worst start in 55 years and sitting 12th in the table, the Reds have gone on a monster run, picking up 29 out of 33 available points, to sit 5th and only 3 points off of 3rd. The race for 4th and the FA Cup is now alive and well. Interesting points to consider:

-The move to 3-4-3 has given our much-maligned defense stability, and now goalie Simon Mignolet is in the running for most clean sheets in the EPL. Crazy to consider just a few months ago!
    -Injuries to Steven Gerrard may have been a blessing in disguise, as we've looked much better with a mobile energetic midfield and a defensive midfielder that actually understands defensive concepts. How will Brendan Rodgers manage his return? I think impact sub is the way to go. Bring him on if we need a goal at 60-70 min.
    -With Daniel Sturridge back in action and regaining his sharpness, I think we're well-placed to make the push for fourth, and 5-month absence gave Sterling some good experience up top as lone striker.
    -Mario Balotelli still hasn't seen much time as the pressing and motion offense are not well-suited to his game, but he has been the model teammate, giving more effort on the field than I've ever seen from him. What a winner against Tottenham too!
    -The Liverpool youth movement. With an average age of 23-24 (youngest or 2nd youngest), the future is definitely bright with Coutinho/Ibe/Markovic/Moreno/Sterling/Can all between 19-22. At 24, Henderson and Sakho are the grizzly veterans. Can't believe Mario is only 24 too.

How does everyone feel about the race for UCL spots turning out? Chelsea running away with the title, and it looks like a 5-way competition for 3rd/4th between Liverpool/Arsenal/Spurs/ManU/Southampton. Would love it for Liverpool and Southampton to finish in there, but Arsenal specialize in finishing 4th, ManU are playing terribly but fluking wins, and Spurs have the easiest remaining schedule. Man City could get sucked in if they're not careful.

As a Gooner, I've lived through the ups and downs as always this year. From brilliant to insipid play. I think we'll hold on to 3 or 4, but then crash in the UCL as always. I don't how we break free of that rut.