Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Uh, I believe you are discounting the real reason one goes to the Bahamas. (hint: it's not for basketball)

Think you could find this at the Chapel Hill YMCA?

Attachment 4293

On a side note... why does the NCAA allow this? It's basically a vacation with an illusion of basketball. It makes sense when teams play in places with ACTUAL basketball teams (like when Duke went to China), but this?

Also, why would UNC, with all the scandal/attention around athletics, do ANYTHING that could have a scent of impropriety?
    Kentucky went to the Bahamas and played some actual basketball teams. i believe the rule is a team gets to do this once every four years correct? Seems like UNC kind of wasted their opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod Drain View Post
    Kentucky went to the Bahamas and played some actual basketball teams. i believe the rule is a team gets to do this once every four years correct? Seems like UNC kind of wasted their opportunity.
    Right, which makes UNC's trip even more of a sham. Kentucky managed to find teams to play. I'm betting those same teams would not have been opposed to playing UNC, especially if they knew that the Providence Storm could take them down.

I think UNC has the potential to be really good this year. Having said that, please check out the competition they had in the game they won. It's hard to believe they flew all the way down to the Bahamas to lose a game and win a game in which the could have found better competition at the Chapel Hill YMCA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXWE4qEPQB0
    To be fair, that does look like good preparation for Clemson's next trip to Chapel Hill.

I think UNC has the potential to be really good this year. Having said that, please check out the competition they had in the game they won. It's hard to believe they flew all the way down to the Bahamas to lose a game and win a game in which the could have found better competition at the Chapel Hill YMCA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXWE4qEPQB0
    If heels had any shame, they'd be embarrassed by all this. But, well...
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Priceless

IC quotes from bahamas game 2 thread...

Re: ICTV: Bahamas Game 2 Highlights
    I didn't see any players on Bahamian bench...? Did they only have 5 players?

their truck broke down on the way to the gym per IC. 5 players were there at tip off, they ended up with 7 players total

Couldn't they find better competition outside at Granville Towers?

So we lost to a high school team, then crush another team wirh 5 players and next we're in the Final 4!
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Uh, I believe you are discounting the real reason one goes to the Bahamas. (hint: it's not for basketball)

Think you could find this at the Chapel Hill YMCA?

Attachment 4293

On a side note... why does the NCAA allow this? It's basically a vacation with an illusion of basketball. It makes sense when teams play in places with ACTUAL basketball teams (like when Duke went to China), but this?

Also, why would UNC, with all the scandal/attention around athletics, do ANYTHING that could have a scent of impropriety?
    Wow. Aren't we cynical.

I'll have you know that ol' roy had his team hittin' the books as hard in the Bahamas (in the SUMMER mind you) as they will at ANY time during the school year.

What a wonderful treat this is for the middle of August!! unc already showing their lack of game and talent. Nice start to the very near beginning of Fall and eventual hoops!! 9F, 9F, 9F!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    In what world is that a "windmill" dunk? Not your words obviously, but the video title is severely misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    In what world is that a "windmill" dunk? Not your words obviously, but the video title is severely misleading.
    I'm pretty impressed with Meeks, he can now fit three saltine crackers under his feet when he jumps as opposed to only two last year. I mean that's a 50% increase guys!

First of all, these trips are so common among the big programs that I doubt there is even a mild scent of impropriety here. Duke was a pioneer for these trips several years ago but at this point everyone does it. No one thinks there is anything wrong with this trip.

And if you recall the Duke trip to China a few years ago, it too was largely a tourist vacation with a few basketball interludes.

Yes, these kind of trips are a bit of a boondoggle for the team and feel like a "rich school" perk to reward players with perks. But, one could argue that team building is about more than being on the court together and education is about more than what you experience in the classroom.

-Jason "I've got no problem with Carolina going to the beach and playing some ill-prepared opponents in a couple exhibition games. In the long run of the season, I doubt it matters much at all" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    The kid is 6-9, and he needs a carefully planned, long runup, with no opposition to dunk a basketball?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    First of all, these trips are so common among the big programs that I doubt there is even a mild scent of impropriety here. Duke was a pioneer for these trips several years ago but at this point everyone does it. No one thinks there is anything wrong with this trip.

And if you recall the Duke trip to China a few years ago, it too was largely a tourist vacation with a few basketball interludes.

Yes, these kind of trips are a bit of a boondoggle for the team and feel like a "rich school" perk to reward players with perks. But, one could argue that team building is about more than being on the court together and education is about more than what you experience in the classroom.

-Jason "I've got no problem with Carolina going to the beach and playing some ill-prepared opponents in a couple exhibition games. In the long run of the season, I doubt it matters much at all" Evans
    Right, but my point was that Duke went to China and played actual basketball teams. Kentucky went to the Bahamas and played actual basketball teams.

Carolina went to the Bahamas and played pick up games.

It's diluting the point behind these trips a bit and is a little more transparent. I have no issues with the kids having a good time on their trips; that's what they're for. But it would be like me taking a work trip and saying I was working when I was really just watching cat videos the whole time.

Right, but my point was that Duke went to China and played actual basketball teams. Kentucky went to the Bahamas and played actual basketball teams.

Carolina went to the Bahamas and played pick up games.

It's diluting the point behind these trips a bit and is a little more transparent. I have no issues with the kids having a good time on their trips; that's what they're for. But it would be like me taking a work trip and saying I was working when I was really just watching cat videos the whole time.
    I'm not sure why you're so worried about it. I'd rather them play bad teams and not learn anything from it. And unless your job involves watching some form of cat videos... I don't see the connection.

I'm not sure why you're so worried about it. I'd rather them play bad teams and not learn anything from it. And unless your job involves watching some form of cat videos... I don't see the connection.
    "Worried about it" and "explaining my point" are two different things.

I'm not worried about it - I just think it's silly and transparent.

Maybe this was one of those money-makers for the UNC-CH athletic department. You know, like when Ohio State opens its football season against St. Anselm's School for Anorexic Girls. The lesser team takes its lumps in exchange for a big check. I wonder how UNC-CH and Providence (Bahamas) split the gate and what UNC's cut ended up being. There must have been at least two dozen people there. A bit fewer if you don't count the players and coaches.

I have no issues with the kids having a good time on their trips; that's what they're for. But it would be like me taking a work trip and saying I was working when I was really just watching cat videos the whole time.
    Better analogy: Going on a work trip, playing video games against a cat, and losing half the time. And oh what that cat could do if it had opposable thumbs...

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    Better analogy: Going on a work trip, playing video games against a cat, and losing half the time.
    Well played, sir. And apropos!

UNC under Roy traditionally starts poorly but gets better. While this is fun, it has no bearing on how they will do in the season.

Meeks has potential. I am certainly not in a position to make fun of someone's weight.

GTH,C. Go Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    UNC under Roy traditionally starts poorly but gets better. While this is fun, it has no bearing on how they will do in the season.

Meeks has potential. I am certainly not in a position to make fun of someone's weight.

GTH,C. Go Duke.
    The most important thing about UNC losing to an unknown team in August is that it provides a week of entertainment for us here at DBR. And then to play and win against a team that apparently was a pickup squad with only five players in uniform at the tip-off is the icing on the cake.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The most important thing about UNC losing to an unknown team in August is that it provides a week of entertainment for us here at DBR. And then to play and win against a team that apparently was a pickup squad with only five players in uniform at the tip-off is the icing on the cake.
    True enough. I guess the injuries to the football team have me grumpy.