Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So ND joins the ACC and...

Quote Originally Posted by MaxAMillion View Post
    joins miami, FSU, and UNC in the league of champions.
    April 1

Bad things happen to everyone. I'm betting ND acts with integrity and handles this well.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Bad things happen to everyone. I'm betting ND acts with integrity and handles this well.
    Exactly, it isn't the crime that gets you it is the cover up. My expectation is we will not see any cover up attempt out of South Bend.
    Bob Green

Stunned by the number of tweets and reports that are saying "UNC-like" when talking about this. Apparently, our good friends down the road have become the standard when it comes to academic scandals. How nice for them...

-Jason "I bet it takes ND less than 5 years to figure out exactly what happened" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

It is worth noting that this scandal appears to be in the football program... which did not join the ACC.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    It is worth noting that this scandal appears to be in the football program... which did not join the ACC.
    It's also worth noting that this appears to apply to players themselves rather than to a cheating system provided them by the university.
    Love, Ima

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Speaking of ND not joining the ACC, any update on their needing to join the ACC given this week's turn of events?

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Speaking of ND not joining the ACC, any update on their needing to join the ACC given this week's turn of events?
    Which turn of events? Anyway, Notre Dame doesn't need to join the ACC in football.

I don't worry about academic scandals at Notre Dame -- it will be given the benefit of the doubt because of its overall academic reputation.

As I think about it, the aggravating thing for the UNCers is that the plain facts against UNC are so stark that the UNC alums can't say, "Everybody does it." Every person alive believes that Duke athletes (a) go to class and (b) do at least a reasonable amount of schoolwork. The problem for UNC is that the no-show classes were essentially a "free pass" to do nothing but sports at a supposedly high-ranked public institution.

This last paragraph is why I am fairly certain that the UNC Board will ensure that this stuff doesn't happen again.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I don't worry about academic scandals at Notre Dame -- it will be given the benefit of the doubt because of its overall academic reputation.
    I disagree completely. The desire from the sports media to see Notre Dame "put in its place" is palpable, and will ensure that this story gets saturation coverage that the UNC scandal never got.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Not the biggest fan of Notre Dame but I tend to agree. Good for them that UNC has set the bar for "how to respond to allegations of impropriety" pretty low. Course, UNC prides itself on establishing standards of performance no other school can achieve. ND has its work cut out for it; if it goes all out, it's going to be a helluva witch hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Hall of "Honors"... *snicker*

Quote Originally Posted by Ima Facultiwyfe View Post
    It's also worth noting that this appears to apply to players themselves rather than to a cheating system provided them by the university.
    Love, Ima
    Yes, this is a really important point. At least based on what we have seen reported so far, there is no suggestion that anyone in authority in either academics or athletics was complicit in this. So it's quite different from the UNC situation and there is a lot less incentive for the university to try to cover it up (which, as Bob Green pointed out, is where thing get much worse in a hurry).

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    I disagree completely. The desire from the sports media to see Notre Dame "put in its place" is palpable, and will ensure that this story gets saturation coverage that the UNC scandal never got.
    Except that I expect ND to do the right thing and find out who was involved and quickly apply the appropriate penalties (relinquish wins among other things). This will reduce the media coverage. In fact I think this entire issue will be resolved by ND before their first football game and by mid November there will only be a sentence or two written about this.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Except that I expect ND to do the right thing and find out who was involved and quickly apply the appropriate penalties (relinquish wins among other things). This will reduce the media coverage. In fact I think this entire issue will be resolved by ND before their first football game and by mid November there will only be a sentence or two written about this.
    This ... I will judge Notre Dame on how they handle the scandal. Will they get to the bottom of it quickly and apply the appropriate punishments? Or will they try to hide and cover up and escape punishment?

I have a lot of respect for Notre Dame and think they will do the right thing ... but until 3-4 years ago, I had a lot of respect for UNC and thought they would do the right thing.

I hope I'm not wrong again.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post

Think they're trying to give Bubba some cover?

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Every person alive believes that Duke athletes (a) go to class and (b) do at least a reasonable amount of schoolwork.
    That isn't true. I tend to believe it, but I've met a number of people who have stated that they don't think that the guys in the revenue sports have the same academic burden as everybody else. Sure, they go to class, but that doesn't mean they do all the same work in the same classes. It's not UNC-level cheating, but it could be lax enforcement of the academic standard.

If it can happen at Notre Dame, it can happen at Duke. I hope all the staff and students don't let that be the case.

UNC is Far Worse

Please don't conflate Notre Dam and UNC.

There is a fundamental difference: Notre Dame has fallen victim to the ever present danger: star athletes have papers written for them by other students, either gratis or as a measure of adulation. The ND four, however, were turned in by a member of the academic counseling staff.

At UNC, it was a university-led academic scandal: an academic department, which is overseen by an academic dean, (no, not phys ed or "parks and recreation") set up totally bogus courses at the 400-level that required essentially no work, and there were no classes.. The academic counseling staff for the athletes steered them into the courses. Except for displaying a lack of academic ambition, it seems like the UNC athletes did nothing wrong; all the wrong-doing was on the side of the faculty and staff. Moreover, when an academic counselor (Mary W.) piped up and said that many athletes were totally unqualified for college and were required to do no serious work while at school, she was tarred and feathered and forced into a posture of humiliation. (E.g., her every written word was Googled and checked for evidence of plagiarism). Her successors will probably have every second of their private and public lives on video, in case they should have the temerity to question something in UNC athletics.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Please don't conflate Notre Dam and UNC.

There is a fundamental difference: Notre Dame has fallen victim to the ever present danger: star athletes have papers written for them by other students, either gratis or as a measure of adulation. The ND four, however, were turned in by a member of the academic counseling staff.

At UNC, it was a university-led academic scandal: an academic department, which is overseen by an academic dean, (no, not phys ed or "parks and recreation") set up totally bogus courses at the 400-level that required essentially no work, and there were no classes.. The academic counseling staff for the athletes steered them into the courses. Except for displaying a lack of academic ambition, it seems like the UNC athletes did nothing wrong; all the wrong-doing was on the side of the faculty and staff. Moreover, when an academic counselor (Mary W.) piped up and said that many athletes were totally unqualified for college and were required to do no serious work while at school, she was tarred and feathered and forced into a posture of humiliation. (E.g., her every written word was Googled and checked for evidence of plagiarism). Her successors will probably have every second of their private and public lives on video, in case they should have the temerity to question something in UNC athletics.
    I appreciate the difference between what happened at UNC and what happened at Notre Dame. What I meant was that the thing that happened at Notre Dame could certainly happen at Duke, and it would fly in the face of 'everybody' believing that all th Duke players go to class and work to a standard Duke academic workload.

I don't think what happened at UNC could happen at Duke.