Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Other Duke Sports on TV, 2014-2015 Edition

As always, I eagerly await the release the schedule of other sports on TV in the fall for the ACC, and they finally had a partial release today:
    http://raycomsports.com/sports_labs_...4-schedule.pdf

Duke breakdown by sport (all times Eastern):

Cross Country:
    Women's: 10/31, 10:00am, ESPN3, Championship
    Men's: 10/31, 11:00am, ESPN3, Championship

Field Hockey:
    10/3, 6:00pm, RSN, at Louisville
    10/17, 6:00pm, ESPN3, vs UNC

Men's Soccer:
    9/19, 7:00pm, ESPN3, vs UNC
    9/26, 7:00pm, ESPN3, vs Boston College
    10/17, 8:00pm, RSN, vs Notre Dame
    10/24, 7:00pm, ESPN3, vs Pitt

Women's Soccer:
    9/5, 7:30pm, ESPN3, vs Arkansas
    9/7, 2:30pm, ESPN3, vs Penn State
    9/25, 7:00pm, ESPN3, at North Carolina State
    10/4, 7:00pm, ESPN3, vs Louisville
    10/9, 7:00pm, ESPN3, vs Clemson
    10/12, 3:00pm, RSN, vs Wake Forest
    10/19, 3:30pm, ESPN3, vs UNC
    10/23, 7:00pm, ESPN3, vs Virginia
    10/31, 7:00pm, ESPN3, at Florida State

Volleyball:
    9/28, 1:00pm, ESPN3, vs Miami
    10/19, 1:00pm, ESPNU, vs UNC
    10/31, 6:30pm, ESPN3, vs Wake Forest
    11/2, 1:00pm, ESPN3, at Virginia Tech
    11/13, 6:30pm, ESPN3, vs Florida State
    11/16, 1:00pm, ESPN3, vs Notre Dame
    11/21, 7:00pm, ESPN3, at Louisville
    11/29, 2:00pm, ESPN3, at North Carolina State

First event of the year as Women's Soccer hosts Arkansas at 7:30pm EDT on ESPN3 Friday. The start time depends on the conclusion of the other game of the tournament. Unlike one of the teams in that game, whose tournament a few miles down the road we played in a few weekends ago, we are letting both games air on ESPN3.

Women's Soccer takes on Penn State on ESPN3 on Sunday. Kickoff is scheduled for 2:30pm EDT, but that could be pushed back if our noisy neighbors (who we have charitably allowed to be shown on ESPN3 as well) need a golden goal to end their game again.

Men's Soccer will travel to Louisville to help them open their ACC tenure. The game is being streamed by the NSCAA via their UStream channel at 7:30pm EDT:
    http://www.nscaatv.com/091314--louisville-vs--duke

I realized that I missed a broadcast that fit my criteria (conference and not school-controlled and free) when I did not mention the volleyball game being streamed by the Pac 12 yesterday. I must not be in midseason form yet. Am I obligated to commit Seppuku for this oversight?

Duke Men's Soccer plays some team nearby on ESPN3 at 7:00pm EDT. Have to hope it goes better than the ACC opener did.

Duke Soccer

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    Duke Men's Soccer plays some team nearby on ESPN3 at 7:00pm EDT. Have to hope it goes better than the ACC opener did.
    Does anyone have a sense why our men's soccer team has descended into such as a state of mediocrity on the field? Given the school's historical success, the strength of the ACC and the nature of the sport, it seems like a sport in which we should excel. Instead we are finishing in the lower half of the ACC and struggling to stay relevant nationally (unranked again this year).

John Rennie won the school it's first national championship and built a powerhouse in the 80's and 90's...the program had declined somewhat in his later years and I was thrilled when John Kerr (a Duke legend) returned from Harvard to coach the program. Unfortunately, in spite of some great individual players, the team just hasn't come together the past few years.

I should note this refers to their performance on the field only. Quick glance shows the highest number of ACC Honor Rolls awards last year...obviously the most important thing.

I lived with a number of soccer players while at Duke and loved attending the games while at school. We had some great nights and teams in the late 80's and early 90's including one of the most extraordinary games I have ever seen. Duke's Brian Benedict scored a goal from 40 yards out to win?/tie? against UNC with 6 seconds left in the game. The crowd exploded and rushed the field. I'd love to see the team recapture some of that magic and return to form in the ACC.

Quote Originally Posted by pamtelp View Post
    Does anyone have a sense why our men's soccer team has descended into such as a state of mediocrity on the field? Given the school's historical success, the strength of the ACC and the nature of the sport, it seems like a sport in which we should excel. Instead we are finishing in the lower half of the ACC and struggling to stay relevant nationally (unranked again this year).

John Rennie won the school it's first national championship and built a powerhouse in the 80's and 90's...the program had declined somewhat in his later years and I was thrilled when John Kerr (a Duke legend) returned from Harvard to coach the program. Unfortunately, in spite of some great individual players, the team just hasn't come together the past few years.

I should note this refers to their performance on the field only. Quick glance shows the highest number of ACC Honor Rolls awards last year...obviously the most important thing.

I lived with a number of soccer players while at Duke and loved attending the games while at school. We had some great nights and teams in the late 80's and early 90's including one of the most extraordinary games I have ever seen. Duke's Brian Benedict scored a goal from 40 yards out to win?/tie? against UNC with 6 seconds left in the game. The crowd exploded and rushed the field. I'd love to see the team recapture some of that magic and return to form in the ACC.
    Well we did come back to win today so maybe this is the springboard to something new.

I think the issue is the emergence of professional options for American players, both in this country and abroad (especially the Nordic countries). Players at the level you need to compete in the ACC and nationally have reasonable expectations of eventually playing professionally and are looking for immediate playing time and programs that have a track record. Now that many top players are coming through the MLS academy system, that adds a whole new level of recruiting for the top players. Many of Duke's most successful recent players were ones whose parents insisted that they get their college degree before playing professionally. It is also hard to recruit depth at private schools because a lot of players would rather take similar sized partial scholarships at public schools.

Women's Soccer will be at North Carolina State tomorrow at 7:00pm EDT with the game shown on ESPN3.

Men's Soccer hosts Boston College tomorrow at 7:00pm EDT on ESPN3.

Volleyball hosts Miami at 1:00pm EDT tomorrow on ESPN3.

Coach Bustin's return to Louisville will be on these RSNs tomorrow:
    http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail...lle-2014-09-29

The game is on ESPN3, possibly subject to blackout in the ACC footpring, although it is difficult to know until game time usually.

Women's Soccer welcome Louisville to the ACC tomorrow at 7:00pm EDT on ESPN3.

Women's Soccer goes to Clemson tonight at 7:00pm EDT with coverage on ESPN3.

Women's soccer hosts Wake Forest today at 3:00pm EDT on these stations:
    http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail...uke-2014-10-06

The game is on ESPN3 although it may or may not be blacked out in the ACC footprint. We also have to hope that the preceding game does not go to overtime.

Tomorrow's Men's Soccer game at 7:00pm EDT against Davidson will be shown by the NSCAA:
    http://www.nscaatv.com/101414--duke-vs--davidson

Big day on campus tomorrow. Volleyball hosts Virginia at 6:30pm EDT, but that is only available on BDN if you cannot make it to Cameron.

Field Hockey faces some local team at 6:00pm EDT on ESPN3.

Men's Soccer plays Notre Dame at 8:00pm EDT on the following stations:
    http://www.theacc.com/#!/page/rsn-af...uke-2014-10-13

It may or may not be blacked out within the ACC footprint on ESPN3.

Volleyball hosts some nearby imitation-blue wearing team at 1:00pm EDT tomorrow on ESPNU.

Women's Soccer hosts the same team at 3:30pm EDT on ESPN3.

Women's Soccer has a critical game against Virginia tomorrow at 7:00pm EDT on ESPN3.

Men's Soccer hosts Pitt at 7:00pm EDT tomorrow on ESPN3. This is one of those games that has to be won.

The ACC Cross Country Championships are tomorrow on ESPN3. The Women's race is starting around 10:00am EDT and the Men's race should start around 10:45am EDT.

Volleyball hosts Wake Forest at 6:30pm EDT on ESPN3.

Women's Soccer goes to Florida State at 7:00pm EDT on ESPN3. A loss ends the season for sure although there is a chance that even a win would end their season at this point.