Lauren Bacall (1924-2014)

Two icons, albeit very different, gone. Usually happens in triplicate. Yikes. RIP Ms. Bacall

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Two icons, albeit very different, gone. Usually happens in triplicate. Yikes. RIP Ms. Bacall
    James Garner

Vanity Fair profile from 2011.

“My son tells me, ‘Do you realize you are the last one? The last person who was an eyewitness to the golden age?’ Young people, even in Hollywood, ask me, ‘Were you really married to Humphrey Bogart?’ ‘Well, yes, I think I was,’ I reply. You realize yourself when you start reflecting—because I don’t live in the past, although your past is so much a part of what you are—that you can’t ignore it."

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    RIP Slim.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    RIP Slim.
    Yes, Slim. Her first film, To Have and Have Not, is among my favorites, as is the sardonic line Slim [remarkably, Bacall was but 19] utters when she sees Steve [Bogart] carrying the fainted, attractive Mme. De Bursac [Dolores Moran]: "Whaddya trying to do, guess her weight?"

Sad loss ...

Lauren Bacall was what used to be known as a classy dame ... on and off the screen.

Love many of her movies ... love her fight against McCarthyism in Hollywood ... loved her great account of the making of The African Queen -- she wasn't in it, but she was there with Bogey and reportedly acted as a den mother on that crazy location shooting.

I thought is was kind of interesting, Bacall was one of four Hollywood stars born in 1924 -- three started their careers right at the end of WWII -- her, Doris Day and Eva Marie Saint. The latter two are still living, although only Ms. Saint is still acting. There is also Joan Leslie, who started as a juvenile in 1936 and is now 89.

Of course, they are not the last remaining stars from the Golden Age. Maureen O'Hara (94) has been in films since 1938 ... Olivia de Havilland (98) has been acting on screen since 1935. But the living champ is Louise Rainer (104), who made her first film in 1930.

It's been a sad week or so -- Bacall, Robin Williams, James Garner and don't forget that we also lost Eli Wallach.

Bacall has been near the top of my golden age favorites since I started watching the old black and whites and up through that period. Classy is an understatement... She was just right.

You know how to whistle don't you
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Turner Classic Movies (TCM) recorded a terrific hour long interview with her focusing primarily on her Bogart years (1988). Look for it to be replayed.

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    It always happens in triples if you define your time frame and stardom level just so.

Quote Originally Posted by jjasper0729 View Post
    Bacall has been near the top of my golden age favorites since I started watching the old black and whites and up through that period. Classy is an understatement... She was just right.

You know how to whistle don't you
    Ms Lauren Bacall, a true Star of the Golden Era of Hollywood. I also watched the old movies and its amazing the true talent and classiness from that era.

The song "Key Largo" by Bertie Higgins with the lyrics "We had it all, just Like Bogie and Bacall. Starring in our own Late Late Show...sailing away to Key Largo"

Rest In Peace Ms Lauren Bacall

TCM is showing the terrific interview with Lauren tonight (Monday) at 8pm and 3am. All night TCM is showing her best movies through noon on Tuesday.

Watched the interview with my wife, awesome interview.

We'll make it a point to view some of the movies we've missed. Thanks for the heads-up!!