Page 3 of 249 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    It's really a quiet period, not a dead period, right now. (I got confused about that, too).

Definitions here (scroll down to the FAQ):
    http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes...ting-calendars

Calendar here: http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/fi...lendar2014.pdf
    Those definitions appear to me to have the same meaning. Is there an inadvertent omission of "not" in the Quiet Period definition?
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by DukeFanSince1990 View Post
    found this from his sophomore year:

I'm sold.
    Yep. We need to get this kid.

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    Those definitions appear to me to have the same meaning. Is there an inadvertent omission of "not" in the Quiet Period definition?
    Yeah, the NCAA's own site kind of fails there.

It's an on-campus, off-campus thing.

Got this from Notre Dame's site:

Quiet Period. A period when it is permissible to make in-person recruiting contacts only on the institution's campus. No in-person, off-campus recruiting contacts or evaluations may be made during the quiet period.
    Dead Period. A period when it is not permissible to make in-person recruiting contacts or evaluations on or off-campus or to permit official or unofficial visits by PSAs to campus.

Yeah, the NCAA's own site kind of fails there.

It's an on-campus, off-campus thing.

Got this from Notre Dame's site:

Quiet Period. A period when it is permissible to make in-person recruiting contacts only on the institution's campus. No in-person, off-campus recruiting contacts or evaluations may be made during the quiet period.
    Dead Period. A period when it is not permissible to make in-person recruiting contacts or evaluations on or off-campus or to permit official or unofficial visits by PSAs to campus.
    It's good to know when you are supposed to be quiet, when you are supposed to be dead, and the difference between the two. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeFanSince1990 View Post
    found this from his sophomore year:

I'm sold.
    He looks like a five force player to me.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Well, then, save room for a dynamite prospect in the Class of 2018.

That would be Tre Jones, a PG from Apple Valley, MN and, of course, brother of Tyus Jones. He started this year as a freshman, led his team to a state championship, adding some key free throws down the stretch in the final.

Tre Jones mixtape
    Does he have a young friend named Okafor in his class he'd like to attend Duke with?

I'd like to run that package deal back again.

Quote Originally Posted by theschwartz View Post
    He looks like a five force player to me.
    He looks very skilled for his height/length. The competition does not.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    He looks very skilled for his height/length. The competition does not.
    Watching mixtapes is tricky. Gotta be discerning, but there is sometimes something.

Well, then, save room for a dynamite prospect in the Class of 2018.

That would be Tre Jones, a PG from Apple Valley, MN and, of course, brother of Tyus Jones. He started this year as a freshman, led his team to a state championship, adding some key free throws down the stretch in the final.

Tre Jones mixtape
    Yes, it's probably too soon to tell whether Tre and Duke would be a good fit but I definitely have my fingers crossed--that would be great.

Duke had already offered 6'6" PG Troy Brown in the 2017 class, and it looks like Duke will now offer 6'1" combo guard Trae Young as well.

This following tweeter is connected and I trust him.

GREG SWAIM SHOW @GSwaim · 4h4 hours ago

I can now safely say that #Duke will offer 2017 G Trae Young (OK) this week...likely as soon as tomorrow.
    In the youtube reels I saw, this Trae Young kid looks very, dare I say, Tyus-like. He's not currently rated as a top 25 player on ESPN, but I suspect that is going to change soon, as it seems he has been very impressive in EYBL play.

Below is a comparison of Young through 3/4 of his EYBL season (i.e., through today), and Jones through his pre-junior-year EYBL season. They are virtually identical physically and are similarly efficient as scorers, though Trae Young scores much more from deep and is a much better three-point shooter than Tyus was at the same stage. Young appears to be a slightly better scorer than 2012 Tyus, but Tyus (not surprisingly) was a better distributor and took better care of the ball.

Obviously, there are different circumstances on different teams, tempos, etc. For example, Trae plays AAU with another 2017 stud mentioned in this thread, Porter, whereas Tyus was his team's clear focus, even in 2012 (and likely other teams' primary defensive priority - to the extent there are any defensive priorities in the EYBL). Also, there was a big uptick in Tyus's numbers and efficiency in that year's Peach Jam (early signs of Tyus Stones) and he was unbelievably efficient throughout the entire EYBL season the following year. Nonetheless, I think these numbers are a very good sign for Trae's potential. I like what I see.

Code:
    	        Young	        Jones
    Height	        6'1"	        6'1"
    Weight	        170	        170
    Pts/game	20.1	        16.8
    eFG%         	.526	        .536
    FT %	        .812	        .765
    3 Pt. attempts	116	        39
    3 Pt. %	        .371	        .256
    Assists/game	3.7	        5.3
    TO/game	        3.6	        1.9
    Rebs/game	3.1	        3.1
    Steals/game	1.8	        1.7
    Minutes	        24.6	        26.5
    Apparently, another 2017 kid, Jarred Vanderbilt, has been one of the most impressive players in the EYBL so far. He plays for Houston Hoops - Winslow's AAU program. He's already a top 5 2017 type, so he probably can't rise much, if at all, but sounds like he's solidified his standing as one of the elite of the elite. He has heard from Duke, but not sure how serious things are with him yet.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    Wendell Carter, a sophomore out of Atlanta has been offered.

https://mobile.twitter.com/VerbalCom...76442122842112

He's a 6'10", 230 lb center and the 5th best prospect in the class according to Scout.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/topic/pl...rest=%22Low%22

I've seen Wendell play. Very long. He has a fluid game and a very nice shooting stroke out to 3 point range. Still growing into his body. He will stretch defenses at the 4 or the 5 in college.

And I hear he's a great kid. Must be to get a Duke offer as a soph.
    Duke 2017 target Wendell Carter frustrating Harry Giles and impressing at EYBL:

http://hoopseen.com/~devhoops/index...m-justin-young

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    Duke 2017 target Wendell Carter frustrating Harry Giles and impressing at EYBL:

http://hoopseen.com/~devhoops/index...m-justin-young
    My son played against Wendell Carter this year. Wendell plays for Pace Academy, which is one of my sons' school's rivals. Suffice it to say that Wendell was a man playing with boys. He basically did whatever he wanted on the floor. He seemed pretty disinterested much of the time. I was also put off as he did not warm up with his team. It was a bit like he was a separate entity from them -- swooping in to dominate the game but not entirely a part of the whole team. That said, friends of mine who know him say he is a sweet kid who works hard in school and that he does not have an ego. It is worth noting that the school he attends is one of the better private schools in the city, so he is getting a top-notch education and Duke would not be a culture shock to him at all.

I would imagine we will play against him the next couple years. I'll update as I see him play more.

-Jason "my 5-10 son was forced to guard Wendell at times... it was not pretty" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Wendell Carter
    Michael Porter
    Trae Young

That's my Duke 2017 recruiting wish list so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke95 View Post
    Wendell Carter
    Michael Porter
    Trae Young

That's my Duke 2017 recruiting wish list so far.
    Uhh... Troy Brown?

He was our first offer in this class.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientPsychicT View Post
    Uhh... Troy Brown?

He was our first offer in this class.
    Almost hate to ask after some of the discussions here about position labels, but is Troy Brown generally thought to be a PG or perhaps some variation of shooting guard/lead guard/combo guard, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    In the youtube reels I saw, this Trae Young kid looks very, dare I say, Tyus-like. He's not currently rated as a top 25 player on ESPN, but I suspect that is going to change soon, as it seems he has been very impressive in EYBL play.

Below is a comparison of Young through 3/4 of his EYBL season (i.e., through today), and Jones through his pre-junior-year EYBL season. They are virtually identical physically and are similarly efficient as scorers, though Trae Young scores much more from deep and is a much better three-point shooter than Tyus was at the same stage. Young appears to be a slightly better scorer than 2012 Tyus, but Tyus (not surprisingly) was a better distributor and took better care of the ball.

<snip>
    Thanks for that analysis, gam. I hope you're right that Trae is Tyus-like because according to Trae in the following 247 article, the scholarship offer will be coming on his visit: http://247sports.com/Bolt/Duke-serio...guard-37531411

Excerpt:

Although Duke hasn't yet offered, Young expects an offer on the visit.
    "Duke does things a little different than everyone else," Young told 247Sports. "They like to offer face to face. They said they were going to offer, so I'm expecting it to happen."

Almost hate to ask after some of the discussions here about position labels, but is Troy Brown generally thought to be a PG or perhaps some variation of shooting guard/lead guard/combo guard, etc.?
    I would say Brown's a combo guard due to his size.

He's someone that can play PG but can also play wing alongside a small PG like Trae Young, if needed, since Brown is 6'6".

If you want to play two PGs together, pairing Young with the giant Brown might be the on-paper ideal because you don't lose size on the wing on defense.

Thanks for that analysis, gam. I hope you're right that Trae is Tyus-like because according to Trae in the following 247 article, the scholarship offer will be coming on his visit: http://247sports.com/Bolt/Duke-serio...guard-37531411

Excerpt:

Although Duke hasn't yet offered, Young expects an offer on the visit.
    "Duke does things a little different than everyone else," Young told 247Sports. "They like to offer face to face. They said they were going to offer, so I'm expecting it to happen."
    In the final EYBL session (subsequent to my post), Trae took a bit of a step back statistically, but overall, he seems to have helped himself with his AAU play. Also, comparing any guard's EYBL stats to Tyus's is almost not fair. His numbers were ridiculously good both years.
    Last edited by gam7; 06-02-2015 at 12:31 PM.

I mean, I hope there's a giant chart somewhere in the basketball office that keeps track of all these potential package deals.

In 2014, Jahlil Okafor and Tyus Jones coordinated a plan to meet up at Duke.

The result? A national championship.

Come 2015, Ben Simmons and Antonio Blakeney decided to continue their AAU dominance with E1T1 (Fla.) in college, opting to take their talents to Baton Rouge and in 2016 Harry Giles III and Jayson Tatum say they’re planning to keep the proverbial package deal streak alive at a school yet to be determined.

The operative question: Which pair, if any, plans to join forces in college from the 2017 class?

Meet Mokan Elite (Kan.) duo Michael Porter Jr. and Trae Young.

“Yep we’re gonna do it,” Young said. “We’re putting it out there that we’re gonna play together. We just feel like we can do big things together.”

Wait, hang on.

Now, just a couple of months after Jahlil Okafor and Tyus Jones led the Blue Devils to the NCAA title, two other young prospects have discussed a similar package deal while soaking in the ice bath at the USA Basketball training facility in Colorado Springs, CO.

That would be 6-10 big man Wendell Carter Jr. of Atlanta (GA) Pace and 6-5 shooting guard Gary Trent Jr. of Apple Valley (MN), two Class of 2017 stars who made the USA U16 team.

“Me and Gary, we kind of decided to go to school together,” Carter Jr. told SNY.tv by phone just as Game 1 of the NBA Finals was about to begin. “I don’t know if it’s going to be official but we’re going to try to. We’re going to try to put Jarred [Vanderbilt] in the [mix] too.”

Asked if they had any schools in mind, Carter Jr., said: “Me and Gary’s top right now would probably be Duke, but we’re both open to all. I don’t want to speak for him, I’m open for all colleges….It’s whatever fits me.”