Page 10 of 249 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    Duke seems to be really making a lot of offers lately. Is it a sign of the times in that K knows that a lot of these kids aren't going to stick around. I bet it's in stark contrast to just a few years ago when Duke had a lot of 3 or 4 year guys. Just because of that fact it has to change the number of offers you put out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke95 View Post
    Duke has made the fewest offers to the 2016 class out of anyone in the ACC. I think we have 9.
    UNC has something like 20-22 offers out.
    If you want to see a lot of offers, check out Kansas.
    http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/kansas
    23 open offers to the class of 2016 and 19 to the class of 2017.

UNC has 18 and Duke has 8 open offers to class of 2016 incidentally. The landscape has changed although Kansas has offered a ton of guys each year for quite some time. Check out the stark contrast of guys that have gone pro... wow! UNC just has Tokoto carrying the torch who went second round and without Roy's blessing. Duke has a fair amount of gray going on (although four of them are transfers/dismissals).

http://verbalcommits.com/schools/duke
    http://verbalcommits.com/schools/north-carolina

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    And some of our offers I believe you could say are conditional...I think we are well short of nine genuine offers.
    Off the top of my head I'd say we have five genuine offers out there and a couple of quasi offers.
    Can you expand on this, because I don't understand? What is a conditional offer conditional upon? And what is a quasi offer? Do we know which offerees have conditional offers and what those conditions are? Some guys have "genuine offers" and others have "quasi offers"? I'll concede ignorance and just ask, what?

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    Can you expand on this, because I don't understand? What is a conditional offer conditional upon? And what is a quasi offer? Do we know which offerees have conditional offers and what those conditions are? Some guys have "genuine offers" and others have "quasi offers"? I'll concede ignorance and just ask, what?
    I heard people talk about "firm committable" vs "conditional" offers in the past. It is somewhat confusing but I will try to explain my understanding. Apparently only K can give a true "committable" offer and he only is willing to do so if he has seen the player in person. So if a/the assistant(s) have been recruiting a player and Duke has a lot of interest, said assistant(s) may tell a recruit that Duke will make him an offer but he will have to wait until K can get a chance to watch him play or talk to the player personally. Also, if there are some questions about academics, a player may have an offer based on clearing those questions. Lastly in the case that Duke is recruiting multiple players of the same position, an offer may be a first come first serve kind of thing. Also, in some instances it seems like some players are occasionally confused about whether or not they have an official offer or not. I'm not sure why/how this happens but I have seen several times where a player says he has an offer only to hear a day or two later that while Duke is very interested in said player, he doesn't actually have an offer.

Not sure if that clears anything up or just begs more questions but this is what I believe was meant by "quasi offers"

There are some "offers" out there which can't necessarily be exercised. Without getting into the current situation too much, a good example would be the past recruitment of Tokoto, whom Duke
    offered very early, I think when he was a HS soph. Subsequently Duke lost interest, but I am not aware that anyone had to actually rescind the offer. It just sort of died on the vine.

As mentioned above, some very much depend upon whether other kids accept an offer. Duke very much wants Frank Jackson. If he commits, I think you will see at least one current "offer" fade away.

Leaf had an offer before committing to Arizona...is Duke still interested? Not if Giles commits, but if he disappoints us and goes elsewhere, perhaps interest in Leaf will be rekindled.

Giles, Gabriel and Jackson are all guys (oh yeah, add in Bolden) who could call K today and commit. Duke may continue interest in some other guys, but they aren't in the Giles et al category.

Obviously to some extent this is true for all teams. Ol Roy has a couple dozen offers on the table, but even using unc mathematical powers, I don't see how he could actually accept that many commits.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    There are some "offers" out there which can't necessarily be exercised. Without getting into the current situation too much, a good example would be the past recruitment of Tokoto, whom Duke
    offered very early, I think when he was a HS soph. Subsequently Duke lost interest, but I am not aware that anyone had to actually rescind the offer. It just sort of died on the vine.

As mentioned above, some very much depend upon whether other kids accept an offer. Duke very much wants Frank Jackson. If he commits, I think you will see at least one current "offer" fade away.

Leaf had an offer before committing to Arizona...is Duke still interested? Not if Giles commits, but if he disappoints us and goes elsewhere, perhaps interest in Leaf will be rekindled.

Giles, Gabriel and Jackson are all guys (oh yeah, add in Bolden) who could call K today and commit. Duke may continue interest in some other guys, but they aren't in the Giles et al category.

Obviously to some extent this is true for all teams. Ol Roy has a couple dozen offerse table, but even using unc mathematical powers, I don't see how he could actually accept that many commits.
    After the NCAA gets done, uncheat may not be able to accept any! BaDaBoom!!!!!

ESPN 60 Updated

Rankings of note:

2. Carter
    3. Porter Jr.
    4. Duval
    8. Bamba
    9. Trent Jr.
    12. Harvey Jr.
    14. Brown Jr.
    25. Young
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    ESPN 60 Updated

Rankings of note:

2. Carter
    3. Porter Jr.
    4. Duval
    8. Bamba
    9. Trent Jr.
    12. Harvey Jr.
    14. Brown Jr.
    25. Young
    I think we have a good/great chance with Carter/Bamba, decent chance with Duval and Trent Jr, lower with the rest.

A 2017 starting lineup with Frank Jackson (or Duval or Young), Kennard/Trent Jr, Gabriel, Carter, Bamba would be awesome.

Rivals is reporting that Mohammed Bamba stopped at Duke and Wake this weekend. I'm curious is he and Jackson had any contact.

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    Jackson is in the class of 2016. FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Jackson is in the class of 2016. FWIW.
    Oh, crap. Wrong thread.

Rumor around has D.J.Harvey visiting all 3 Triangle schools this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    Rumor around has D.J.Harvey visiting all 3 Triangle schools this weekend.
    Yep. Looks like a 'Zona kid at this point though.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke95 View Post
    Yep. Looks like a 'Zona kid at this point though.
    Wouldn't mind, as long as it's Zona State (aka ASU)

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Wouldn't mind, as long as it's Zona State (aka ASU)
    No. Arizona.

Scout updates 2017 rankings

http://www.scout.com/college/basketb...umInterest=Low

Noteworthy:

#2 Wendell Carter
    #3 Trevon Duval
    #4 Michael Porter (although I think we're more in on Harvey now?)
    #5 Mohamed Bamba
    #9 D.J. Harvey
    #14 Gary Trent
    #22 Jalek Felton, almost falling out of 5* range
    Trae Young, still not a 5*

Would really love a class of Duval, Carter, Bamba. Trent and Harvey would be awesome as well, but I think those positions will be less in need.

Wednell Carter Really, Really Likes Duke

In case you missed it, 2017 #1 (at least according to 247 Sports) Wendell Carter made another stop at Cameron Indoor Stadium to take in the Duke Blue Devils. Carter, along with his best bud Gary Trent, Jr., were at Countdown to Craziness less than a month ago. I believe that Carter would have had to pay for his own travel and accommodations for this trip. If so, that's a pretty solid indication that Carter is a big fan of Coach K and the Blue Devils.

The Cameron Crazies were naturally pretty happy to see Carter.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    In case you missed it, 2017 #1 (at least according to 247 Sports) Wendell Carter made another stop at Cameron Indoor Stadium to take in the Duke Blue Devils. Carter, along with his best bud Gary Trent, Jr., were at Countdown to Craziness less than a month ago. I believe that Carter would have had to pay for his own travel and accommodations for this trip. If so, that's a pretty solid indication that Carter is a big fan of Coach K and the Blue Devils.

The Cameron Crazies were naturally pretty happy to see Carter.

I know it's a small sample size ... but has any recruit visited Cameron, crossed he court to sit with the Crazies then NOT ultimately signed with Duke?

The first to do it (as I remember) were Luke Kennard and Chase Jeter at the 2014 Duke-UNC game. Both were prep juniors at the time and both committed to Duke over the summer.

Harry Giles did it recently ... and he signed.

Wendell Carter (great hair BTW) crossed the court Saturday night and had a big smile on his face as he joined the Crazies.

Not saying lock or anything, but I have to see it as a very good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I know it's a small sample size ... but has any recruit visited Cameron, crossed he court to sit with the Crazies then NOT ultimately signed with Duke?

The first to do it (as I remember) were Luke Kennard and Chase Jeter at the 2014 Duke-UNC game. Both were prep juniors at the time and both committed to Duke over the summer.

Harry Giles did it recently ... and he signed.

Wendell Carter (great hair BTW) crossed the court Saturday night and had a big smile on his face as he joined the Crazies.

Not saying lock or anything, but I have to see it as a very good sign.
    Myles Turner, for one. Turner may have been the only to sit with the Crazies and not commit.

He better be coming to Duke, as he signed my hat before the football game on Saturday. (Not one of the 63 signatures on my hat is not affiliated with Duke in some way.)

ricks