Page 51 of 249 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 4966
    Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    More importantly, does Ferry's kids play ball and how old are they?
    Hannah, who (I believe) was the family's oldest child, played basketball for Pace and was quite good. She's now a soph at Emory and was supposedly playing hoops for them but I don't see her on the current roster. Not sure what happened.

Her younger sister, Sophia plays tennis and swims. She has suffered from a fairly serious vascular condition, as discussed in this article from the Atlanta paper.

The Ferrys have 5 children: Hannah, Grace, Sophia, Lucy and Jackson. I'm not sure what sports, if any, the other kids play.

-Jason "I used to see Danny at games all the time, but Pace moved up in class and my son's school does not play them any more" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I'm thrilled Gary Trent Jr. is down to 3 schools with Duke the leader.
    On the Front page article, could DBR fix the typo for Wendell Carter? We're hoping for a package deal with Gary and Wendell, but they aren't the same guy.
    The ladies at Duke never liked it when I called them the wrong name, recruits might not either. You never know who's reading the front page. Thanks!

In other recruiting news - we're looking much more out of the running for Matt Coleman. Adam Rowe, Andrew Slater, and several others all flipped their picks to Texas earlier this week. Duke now with 5% (one pick).
    Last edited by richardjackson199; 10-09-2016 at 06:34 AM.

I know K likes to say Duke doesn't have positions, just basketball players. Does anybody know our 2017 recruiting plan for point guards? Maybe they're assuming Frank will stay? He is very athletic, quick, and can shoot. So Frank could be drafted lottery to mid first round in the top 20. Luke is capable at point.

Is Duke trying to get involved with Trevon Duval?
    Do we have any kind of shot at Quade Green?

I would think the ceiling for 2017-2018 team would be higher with a stud point guard.
    There is no doubt our staff is all over it and has a plan. Their crystal ball is much less foggy than ours. From the outside it looks like maybe they are planning to go with more experience at the position with Frank and Luke.
    Last edited by richardjackson199; 10-09-2016 at 07:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    I know K likes to say Duke doesn't have positions, just basketball players. Does anybody know our 2017 recruiting plan for point guards? Maybe they're assuming Frank will stay? He is very athletic, quick, and can shoot. So Frank could be drafted lottery to mid first round in the top 20. Luke is capable at point.

Is Duke trying to get involved with Trevon Duval?
    Do we have any kind of shot at Quade Green?

I would think the ceiling for 2017-2018 team would be higher with a stud point guard.
    There is no doubt our staff is all over it and has a plan. Their crystal ball is much less foggy than ours. From the outside it looks like maybe they are planning to go with more experience at the position with Frank and Luke.
    I don't have any special insight - just what I've read in other places. Quade Green is leaning heavily toward Syracuse. And we got involved late with Matt Coleman (#9 PG) but he is leaning heavily toward Texas. I read a recent article about Trevon Duval opening up his recruitment and listing 9 schools - Duke is not one of them although there is some chatter that Duke coaches may be reaching out to gage interest. Duval transferred to IMG Academy for his senior year, is ranked the #1 PG in the class, and is most often compared to Derrick Rose.

Also no idea of the odds Frank Jackson is OAD. If he has a big year and enters the draft - and we do not pick up a PG recruit for '17 - we will be mighty thin at guard next year with Luke likely forced into a primary ball handler role. Backed up by freshmen O'Connell and Trent Jr. - far from ideal.

We're definitely going to need some bodies in this class. Six guys are virtually certain to leave (Amile, Jones, Tatum, Giles, Bolden and Obi) and
    even if we get Trent and Carter (to join O'Connell) we'll need another couple of guys at the very least....Knox and Bamba, of course, are targets, but both could be tough to get.
    And as you say, Coleman is going to be tough to get as well.

Point guard continues to be a real concern to me for the 2017 season and beyond. A huge concern.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    We're definitely going to need some bodies in this class. Six guys are virtually certain to leave (Amile, Jones, Tatum, Giles, Bolden and Obi) and
    even if we get Trent and Carter (to join O'Connell) we'll need another couple of guys at the very least...Knox and Bamba, of course, are targets, but both could be tough to get.
    You wouldn't add Allen to that list? Isn't he poised to graduate this year?
    Last edited by Rich; 10-09-2016 at 02:43 PM.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

even if we get Trent and Carter (to join O'Connell) we'll need another couple of guys at the very least...Knox and Bamba, of course, are targets, but both could be tough to get.
    Obi redshirted and will be a Sr. next season. I have not heard that he will leave the program otherwise. Allen is more likely to go than Obi.

Quote Originally Posted by GGLC View Post
    Point guard continues to be a real concern to me for the 2017 season and beyond. A huge concern.
    Yuuuuuge concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    You wouldn't add Allen to that list? Isn't he poised to graduate this year?
    yes, absolutely, Allen will be gone. I firmly think Obi will be as well, no matter whether he has eligibility left or not.

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.c...bcs&yptr=yahoo

Trent jr is down to Duke, UCLA, and Michigan st.

Quote Originally Posted by jimrowe0 View Post
    http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.c...bcs&yptr=yahoo

Trent jr is down to Duke, UCLA, and Michigan st.
    Wendell Carter is down to Duke, Georgia, GT, and Harvard. It's been a while since I've done a Venn diagram but I think I could put this one together.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod Drain View Post
    Wendell Carter is down to Duke, Georgia, GT, and Harvard. It's been a while since I've done a Venn diagram but I think I could put this one together.
    I might have some nits to pick with Carter and Trent Jr if they end up calling themselves a package deal. I would think having the same school list would be a prerequisite for a package deal.

In any case, let's hope they achieve the barest of bare minimums for being a package deal, namely, choosing the same school. Which, based on their lists, has to be Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I might have some nits to pick with Carter and Trent Jr if they end up calling themselves a package deal. I would think having the same school list would be a prerequisite for a package deal.

In any case, let's hope they achieve the barest of bare minimums for being a package deal, namely, choosing the same school. Which, based on their lists, has to be Duke.
    In fairness, they didn't say they were a package deal in the Tyus Jones/Jahlil Okafor or Greg Oden/Mike Conley mold, but rather in the Harry Giles/Tatum mold (they only referenced Tyus/Okafor, not Giles/Tatum).

True package deals are tricky; kids think they are amazing until you realize that you have very little flexibility.

I still think we get Trent and Carter; but that's because of Duke, Coach K, and Capel moreso than a "packaged deal"
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    ... I still think we get Trent and Carter; but that's because of Duke, Coach K, and Capel moreso than a "packaged deal"
    Coach K and Capel are a "package deal."

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Coach K and Capel are a "package deal."
    I hope so. At least for the next 10 years!
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

USA Basketball held a mini-camp for high school players over the weekend. Knox might have a Justise Winslow-like impact his freshman year. Want bad. Not surprised by Trent Jr's post game, since Trent Sr was an NBA power forward. Wendell is a complete big man.

Mike Schmitz@Mike_Schmitz Oct 8
    Impressive night session for Wendell Carter. Very few holes in his game. Flying around on the O-Boards, blocking shots, back shoulder fade.

Adam Finkelstein@AdamFinkelstein 21h21 hours ago
    Last note from the am, I'm not sure where Gary Trent ends up but I hope they're open 2 posting their guards. So good with his back 2 basket.

Jeff Borzello@jeffborzello 22h22 hours ago
    Thought Kevin Knox had an impressive outing in the AM scrimmage. Hit multiple jumpers, rebounded well, showed some versatility. #USABMJNT

Clint Jackson@clintjackson1 Oct 8
    Kevin Knox always brings such relentless energy. He is a long transition athlete in attack mode. Boards. Dunks. Defends. Versatile dude.

Ricky O'Donnell@SBN_Ricky 24h24 hours ago
    Kevin Knox gets off the ground as effortlessly as any player I've seen. He's tried to tear the rim down a few times already this morning.

Paul Biancardi@PaulBiancardi 21h21 hours ago
    Kevin Knox has elite size with the ability to stroke it from multiple spots on floor. He is becoming more of a complete player.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Does anybody know our 2017 recruiting plan for point guards?
    Jeff Borzello of ESPN wrote a good, lengthy Insider ($$$) article about that subject here, complete with quotes from the recruits: http://insider.espn.com/blog/ncbrecr.../post?id=16310

For those without Insider, here's his headline tweet:

Jeff Borzello@jeffborzello 30m30 minutes ago
    Duke is expanding its 2017 PG search. They've been in contact with Trevon Duval, and also reached out to Trae Young

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Jeff Borzello of ESPN wrote a good, lengthy Insider ($$$) article about that subject here, complete with quotes from the recruits: http://insider.espn.com/blog/ncbrecr.../post?id=16310

For those without Insider, here's his headline tweet:

Jeff Borzello@jeffborzello 30m30 minutes ago
    Duke is expanding its 2017 PG search. They've been in contact with Trevon Duval, and also reached out to Trae Young

Pretty good article if you have Insider.

Is there any buzz among the staff that Frank Jackson is that good that he is likely to go pro after one season? If he comes off the bench and Grayson is the de facto starting, lead guard, will Frank get enough touches to show pro scouts he's worthy of a first round pick?

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    Obi redshirted and will be a Sr. next season. I have not heard that he will leave the program otherwise. Allen is more likely to go than Obi.
    DIB- Budwom is fairly in the know, and he, along with many others, (including Jim Sumner) believe Obi is likely to transfer after next year. Its been posted several times on this board and it seems the staff is preparing for it. Doesn't sound like its 100% going to happen, but, again, people are preparing as if it will.