Page 202 of 249 FirstFirst ... 102152192200201202203204212 ... LastLast
Results 4,021 to 4,040 of 4966
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I'd love to see a four guy big man rotation, but I seriously doubt it, just as I doubt a nine man rotation. We'll see.
    The roster had a lot in common with 2010. There are only three perimeter players that we are likely to count on for major minutes. My bet is that those three will get all the minutes they can handle, much like how Jon, Nolan, and Kyle played as much as possible in 2010. Most likely, only one perimeter sub will emerge as K's go-to guy off the bench, kind of like Andre. Meanwhile, Lance, Miles, Mason, and Brian all got minutes in the post. This was in part because it took awhile to solidify the rotation, but it also happens because it is more difficult for a big guy to play big minutes without being in foul trouble or needing a short break than it is for a guard. I think that there is a clear opportunity for both Javin and Vrank to earn minutes backing up Marques and Wendell.

The roster next season isn't a perfect analog to 2010, but I think the possibility for minutes for Vrank and Javin is there for the taking.

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    The roster had a lot in common with 2010. There are only three perimeter players that we are likely to count on for major minutes. My bet is that those three will get all the minutes they can handle, much like how Jon, Nolan, and Kyle played as much as possible in 2010. Most likely, only one perimeter sub will emerge as K's go-to guy off the bench, kind of like Andre. Meanwhile, Lance, Miles, Mason, and Brian all got minutes in the post. This was in part because it took awhile to solidify the rotation, but it also happens because it is more difficult for a big guy to play big minutes without being in foul trouble or needing a short break than it is for a guard. I think that there is a clear opportunity for both Javin and Vrank to earn minutes backing up Marques and Wendell.

The roster next season isn't a perfect analog to 2010, but I think the possibility for minutes for Vrank and Javin is there for the taking.
    Indeed. You can bet your bottom dollar that Vrank and D will get minutes. I'm hoping O'Connell shows us some old school Dunleavy moves.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    And the countdown begins 3...2...1...go!
    Tomorrow, tomorrow ...

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Tomorrow, tomorrow ...
    You're always a day away, kind of like the release of the unc response to the NCAA last Notice of Allegations. Always a day away.

Oh, wait a minute, wrong thread.

Mimi Paulo nawasalimuni, nikiandika kwa mkono wangu mwenyewe
    Last edited by Merlindevildog91; 05-19-2017 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Because Swahili works in any post on DBR.

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post

I agree with your thoughts. One important distinction is that all of Scheyer, Smith and Singler had played together for 3 years at that point, while this year's backcourt has played together for a grand total of 0 minutes. Grayson is this year's analog to Scheyer (Sr.), but will Fr. Trent be able to perform the same role as Jr. Singler? Will Fr. Duval be able to do what Jr. Smith did? I don't doubt that the talent level of Duval and Trent is equal or greater to that of Smith and Singler, but continuity and familiarity with each other counts for a lot.
    A similar argument can be made about our frontcourt this year vs. 2010. LT and Zoubs had played together for 4 years, and MP1 and MP2 were So. and Fr. respectively. This year we have 0 Sr. in the the frontcourt, a Jr. who has played a total of 115 mins a So. who played 85, another So. who played 150 and a Fr. In short, we have almost 0 continuity in our frontcourt. It's possible that the talent level of this year's 4 some is higher, but 3 of the 4 from 2010 are still in the NBA and the 4th probably could have made it had he not gotten injured.
    In all, the similarities to 2010 are interesting, but the experience together and the maturity of that team made it better than the individual pieces. Will this coming year's team be able to do the same? Last year's team couldn't, but that shouldn't necessarily be the assumption for this team.

Quote Originally Posted by chriso View Post
    Indeed. You can bet your bottom dollar that Vrank and D will get minutes. I'm hoping O'Connell shows us some old school Dunleavy moves.
    I see what you did there.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    I see what you did there.
    The season is always a day away. But with Duval on board it cleared away the cobwebs and the sorrows of Frank leaving, til there's none.

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    Agree with the above but I think UK's class this year is over-rated. I don't agree with their number 1 recruiting ranking at all. Granted they have 7 of the top 25 or something like that but their highest rated recruit is Knox (RSCI #9), who apparently was recruited to try and play the 2/3. Maybe Knox will surprise in that role but i don't think it is ideal. When is the last time UK's highest rated recruit was RSCI #9 in a somewhat weak recruiting class? I'm sure UK will do okay record wise because of their weak schedule but I am not impressed with them on paper for next year.
    It's an interesting matchup for the No. 1 class. The wild card is Ham Diallo, a 2016 recruit who enrolled last year at midseason, practiced with the team and was supposed to join this freshman class. But he declared for the NBA draft and put up some eye-popping numbers at the Draft combine. He could still come back, but the consensus is that he stays in the draft.

Without Diallo, Kentucky's class looks like this:

No. 9 SF Kevin Knox
    No. 11. PF P.J. Washington
    No. 15 C Nick Richards
    No. 18 SF Jarred Vanderbilt
    No. 23 PG Quade Green
    No. 33 PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander
    No. 63 SG Jemarl Baker

Is that a better class than:
    No. 4 PF Wendell Carter
    No. 5 PG Trevon Duvall
    No. 7 SG Gary Trent Jr.
    N0. 40 SF Jordan Tucker
    No. 84 SF Alex O'Connell
    UNR PG Jordan Goldwire

Kentucky has one more signee ... two more five-stars. It's very top heavy with frontcourt players, especially since the only three returning players are all frontcourt guys. That's one reason they are talking about playing Knox out of position as a shooting guard. As it is, Kentucky currently has three (freshmen) guards in the program.

Duke has three players rated higher than anybody in Kentucky's class -- including the No. 1 PG. No. 1 PF and No. 1 SG in the class. Not only is it higher rated at the top, it's more balanced, especially when combined with the returning talent -- just one post in the class, but three post players returning.

Which is actually the better class? I guess it comes down to quantity vs. quality. And, I admit, Diallo definitely tips things in Kentucky's favor.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    I don't doubt that the talent level of Duval and Trent is equal or greater to that of Smith and Singler
    Yeah, I don't think I'm gonna let that one slide. Let's see them prove it on the court, before people start saying they're more talented than Nolan and Kyle. Show some respect - those guys were straight-up WARRIORS.

This may have been covered in the thread already, but will next year's team be Duke's most inexperienced? After Grayson, the next most seasoned player on the roster is Marques who has played a grand total of 157 minutes. After that would be Vrankovic at 115. Unless I'm missing someone, here is the player-by-player breakdown:

Grayson Allen: 2646
    Marques Bolden: 157
    Antonio Vrankovic: 115
    Javin DeLaurier: 86
    Jack White: 61
    Gary Trent, Jr: 0
    Wendell Carter: 0
    Trevon Duval: 0
    Jordan Tucker: 0
    Jordan Goldwire: 0

I know we've had Freshmen-dominated teams in the past, but I don't recall it ever being quite this dramatic.

Quote Originally Posted by SlapTheFloor View Post
    This may have been covered in the thread already, but will next year's team be Duke's most inexperienced? After Grayson, the next most seasoned player on the roster is Marques who has played a grand total of 157 minutes. After that would be Vrankovic at 115. Unless I'm missing someone, here is the player-by-player breakdown:

I know we've had Freshmen-dominated teams in the past, but I don't recall it ever being quite this dramatic.
    Super young but super talented. If guys like Bolden and/or DeLaurier busts out that will be a big help. A team that should improve a lot as the year goes on. Some big questions; such as how ready the freshmen are for prime time. Because they'll be thrown right into the fire. Reminds me of 2000, although I am aware we are even younger. I'm excited.

Quote Originally Posted by SlapTheFloor View Post

We've discussed this extensively in another thread -- for the record, the next youngest team was 2006-07. Third youngest was 2016. But the fourth youngest team was 2000, which finished No. 1 in the nation. And the fifth youngest team in the K era was 2015, which won the national title.

So it's a handicap, but not necessarily a fatal handicap.

And BTW Duke has almost five times the returning experience Kentucky will have next season.

Quote Originally Posted by chriso View Post
    Super young but super talented. If guys like Bolden and/or DeLaurier busts out that will be a big help. A team that should improve a lot as the year goes on. Some big questions; such as how ready the freshmen are for prime time. Because they'll be thrown right into the fire. Reminds me of 2000, although I am aware we are even younger. I'm excited.
    I expect another "tear my hair out and yell at the TV set year."
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

I am actually feeling positive about this year.none of our guys are scrubs.all useable players.
    Bolden and vrankovic will be better.i believe we had chemistry issues last year or never clicked as a unit.i just have the feeling this will be a team ball type of squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    It's an interesting matchup for the No. 1 class. The wild card is Ham Diallo, a 2016 recruit who enrolled last year at midseason, practiced with the team and was supposed to join this freshman class. But he declared for the NBA draft and put up some eye-popping numbers at the Draft combine. He could still come back, but the consensus is that he stays in the draft.

Without Diallo, Kentucky's class looks like this:

No. 9 SF Kevin Knox
    No. 11. PF P.J. Washington
    No. 15 C Nick Richards
    No. 18 SF Jarred Vanderbilt
    No. 23 PG Quade Green
    No. 33 PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander
    No. 63 SG Jemarl Baker

Is that a better class than:
    No. 4 PF Wendell Carter
    No. 5 PG Trevon Duvall
    No. 7 SG Gary Trent Jr.
    N0. 40 SF Jordan Tucker
    No. 84 SF Alex O'Connell
    UNR PG Jordan Goldwire

Kentucky has one more signee ... two more five-stars. It's very top heavy with frontcourt players, especially since the only three returning players are all frontcourt guys. That's one reason they are talking about playing Knox out of position as a shooting guard. As it is, Kentucky currently has three (freshmen) guards in the program.

Duke has three players rated higher than anybody in Kentucky's class -- including the No. 1 PG. No. 1 PF and No. 1 SG in the class. Not only is it higher rated at the top, it's more balanced, especially when combined with the returning talent -- just one post in the class, but three post players returning.

Which is actually the better class? I guess it comes down to quantity vs. quality. And, I admit, Diallo definitely tips things in Kentucky's favor.
    This is a question that probably can't be answered for at least two more seasons. UK's best teams (the 2012 champions and the 2015 KAT-led team) had big time sophomores. The Harrison Twins came back for a second season in 2015. Doron Lamb and Terrance Jones were key returnees in 2012. UK's unimpressive (by their standards) freshmen class could turn into a formidable crop of sophomores, especially since UK has a lot of recruits in the 25-10 range that are less likely to be one and dones but are also likely to capable of starring in their sophomore season. If a large number of UK's players return for the 2019 season, Cal would only need to add one or two OAD candidates from next year's recruiting class to have a title contender. Duke's class is much more top heavy, with three top ten recruits who are all threats to be gone after one season and then three other recruits that are ranked lower than all but one of UK's recruits. We have no idea how it is going to play out yet, but I wouldn't bet against UK's 2017 class making a big splash, even if it's not until the '18-'19 season.
    Who needs a moral victory when you can have a real one?

If I was a U.K. fan, I'd go and get my 40-0 and 9 NCAA Championship tattoos tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by WVDUKEFAN View Post
    If I was a U.K. fan, I'd go and get my 40-0 and 9 NCAA Championship tattoos tomorrow.
    All you have to do is change the date on the one you've already got. 😂

NICE! I think Trent is going to be a fan favorite.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    The Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? I must have missed that history class. Or I'm guessing this is an inside joke?
    Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    Pity the person who has never seen "Animal House."
    I'm guessing he's seen it zero point zero times