Page 2 of 249 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I really need to stop following recruiting. As much as I dread the apparent changes that are coming with the revenue sports it is clear that all the money chasing and catering to jocks and coaches has gotten completely out of hand and well beyond the supposed mission of higher education.
    Ya think? That train left the station a long, long time ago.

But don't let the fact that this kid or that, or his AAU coach/team are affiliated with one shoe company or another be the straw that breaks the camel's back for you. Yes, that kind of thing can be important in a given case, sometimes very important. But sometimes it means nothing. Case in point: Duke's latest successful recruitment of Chase Jeter. Chase's AAU team is sponsored by Adidas. Travel, gear, the whole bit. Jeter made his college announcement on national television right in the middle of, and at the site of, Adidas' last major event of the summer, which he was invited to play in, the AdidasNations. With Adidas people everywhere and Adidas paraphernalia everywhere, he looks into the camera and announces for Duke, a Nike school.

Okay, I get it. I am in the minority when it comes to the demise of the pass first PG.

Kid looks good. Hope it pans out.

Question about that picture on the front page associated with the offer to Brown: does anyone know what jacket/shirt that is a picture of - with that patch showing the national championship years? I don't recall ever seeing that before.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

From that mix tape it is very apparent that he has excellent court vision/awareness and solid if not great passing ability. I don't remember watching videos of Kendal Marshall but I would imagine they were quite similar. The mix does focus completely on his passing so it is hard to tell how athletic he is or what kind of scoring ability he has. Regardless, he looks like he would be a lot of fun to watch or play with.

Wendell Carter Offered

Wendell Carter, a sophomore out of Atlanta has been offered.

https://mobile.twitter.com/VerbalCom...76442122842112

He's a 6'10", 230 lb center and the 5th best prospect in the class according to Scout.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/topic/pl...rest=%22Low%22

I've seen Wendell play. Very long. He has a fluid game and a very nice shooting stroke out to 3 point range. Still growing into his body. He will stretch defenses at the 4 or the 5 in college.

And I hear he's a great kid. Must be to get a Duke offer as a soph.

With 2015 recruiting wrapping up tomorrow, and with all the main 2016 targets (Giles, Smith, Tatum, Battle) already identified, Duke is now looking to send out some more 2017 offers, especially having just wrapped evaluating two sessions of Nike and Adidas AAU games.

Duke had already offered 6'6" PG Troy Brown in the 2017 class, and it looks like Duke will now offer 6'1" combo guard Trae Young as well.

This following tweeter is connected and I trust him.

GREG SWAIM SHOW @GSwaim · 4h4 hours ago

I can now safely say that #Duke will offer 2017 G Trae Young (OK) this week...likely as soon as tomorrow.

Duke's been talking with Trae Young for awhile now:

Trae Young@TheTraeYoung Feb 11
    Great conversation with Coach Scheyer! Motivated me beyond words #DukeBlueDevils

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Duke's been talking with Trae Young for awhile now:

Trae Young@TheTraeYoung Feb 11
    Great conversation with Coach Scheyer! Motivated me beyond words #DukeBlueDevils
    Trae for trey? A TraeTrey!

With a name like Trae, he HAS to come to play for the coach who has most effectively integrated the three point shot into his team's offense.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Trae for trey? A TraeTrey!

With a name like Trae, he HAS to come to play for the coach who has most effectively integrated the three point shot into his team's offense.
    Well, then, save room for a dynamite prospect in the Class of 2018.

That would be Tre Jones, a PG from Apple Valley, MN and, of course, brother of Tyus Jones. He started this year as a freshman, led his team to a state championship, adding some key free throws down the stretch in the final.

Tre Jones mixtape

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Well, then, save room for a dynamite prospect in the Class of 2018.

That would be Tre Jones, a PG from Apple Valley, MN and, of course, brother of Tyus Jones. He started this year as a freshman, led his team to a state championship, adding some key free throws down the stretch in the final.

Tre Jones mixtape
    Has Coach K ever offered a freshman? Maybe Tre could be the first!

Michael Porter Jr

This is the kid mentioned on the front page for 2017:

http://vine.co/v/OwOjjYi0KJb

OK, that was impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    Wendell Carter, a sophomore out of Atlanta has been offered.

https://mobile.twitter.com/VerbalCom...76442122842112

He's a 6'10", 230 lb center and the 5th best prospect in the class according to Scout.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/topic/pl...rest=%22Low%22

I've seen Wendell play. Very long. He has a fluid game and a very nice shooting stroke out to 3 point range. Still growing into his body. He will stretch defenses at the 4 or the 5 in college.

And I hear he's a great kid. Must be to get a Duke offer as a soph.
    Although it doesn't mean much ... Wendell is (if Scout is to be believed) currently at one of the elite academic prep schools in Atlanta (Pace Academy). Pace is known equally for its rigorous education as it is for its athletic prowess (if not more so). Pace is also a smaller school (class AA), so I'm not sure if he may consider transferring (or if AAU will be enough exposure for him).
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeFanSince1990 View Post
    This is the kid mentioned on the front page for 2017:

http://vine.co/v/OwOjjYi0KJb

OK, that was impressive.
    The link on the front page isn't working for me. What does the article say?
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    The link on the front page isn't working for me. What does the article say?
    The link didn't work for me either, so I just googled his name and this is what I found.

Maybe this was the intended link?

The wildcard in the point-guard sweepstakes could be a kid named Frank Jackson, from Utah. Class of 2016. Lots of mutual interest between he and Duke.

But here's the rub. He's Mormon and plans on going on a two-year mission. Would he go after high school? After a year at college?

And he's better than Stillman White. Or Chase Ainge.

Apparently he's still figuring out what he wants to do and when he wants to do it. But he's very much on Duke's radar screen. So, he could be a 2016 signee who wouldn't actually suit up until guys like Smith and Murray are long gone to the NBA.

But wait, there's more!

found this from his sophomore year:

I'm sold.

In either the 2015 recruiting thread or the welcome Ingram thread someone linked to a Kentucky board in which thy discuss the ridiculous rumor of K to OKC. On that board they were saying right now is a dead period in recruiting where coaches cannot talk to recruits. Can someone please clarify.

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    In either the 2015 recruiting thread or the welcome Ingram thread someone linked to a Kentucky board in which thy discuss the ridiculous rumor of K to OKC. On that board they were saying right now is a dead period in recruiting where coaches cannot talk to recruits. Can someone please clarify.
    It's really a quiet period, not a dead period, right now. (I got confused about that, too).

Definitions here (scroll down to the FAQ):
    http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes...ting-calendars

Calendar here: http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/fi...lendar2014.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    It's really a quiet period, not a dead period, right now. (I got confused about that, too).

Definitions here (scroll down to the FAQ):
    http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes...ting-calendars

Calendar here: http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/fi...lendar2014.pdf
    Dead and quiet definitions are exactly the same. Both say no face to face or visits but calling and writing are ok.

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    Dead and quiet definitions are exactly the same. Both say no face to face or visits but calling and writing are ok.
    Hold on, explanation coming.