Page 1 of 249 1231151101 ... LastLast

2017 Basketball Recruiting Thread

According to Adam Rowe, Duke has offered Troy Brown Jr. of Las Vegas, a 6-4 (or is it 6-6?) PG from Centennial HS in Las Vegas. He's ranked top 5 (I've seen as high as #1) in the class of 2017. Chase Jeter tweeted his approval.

BTW, here's an interview with Troy Brown from last month. He says he's 6-6 now and still growing. Pretty clear that he wants to play the point. Nice shout out to Chase Jeter.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    BTW, here's an interview with Troy Brown from last month. He says he's 6-6 now and still growing. Pretty clear that he wants to play the point. Nice shout out to Chase Jeter.
    6'6 point guard? while i water at the mouth at a guy that big that can play point, I'm also skeptical of kids who are so driven to play one specific role position or style. does he get angry when his size inhibits his ability to play his desired position? or if he fits better in the team as a 2 or 3?

Kid's young, and his body has a lot of changing to do. I don't know him. I trust the staff to vet character. I just hope any incoming player (not just young Troy) doesn't let their want to fill a specific role end up negatively affecting the team (a la austin rivers, perhaps)
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    6'6 point guard? while i water at the mouth at a guy that big that can play point, I'm also skeptical of kids who are so driven to play one specific role position or style. does he get angry when his size inhibits his ability to play his desired position? or if he fits better in the team as a 2 or 3?

Kid's young, and his body has a lot of changing to do. I don't know him. I trust the staff to vet character. I just hope any incoming player (not just young Troy) doesn't let their want to fill a specific role end up negatively affecting the team (a la austin rivers, perhaps)
    I specifically remember a particular Michigan State player that played point at 6 ft. 9 inches. He did pretty good.

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    I specifically remember a particular Michigan State player that played point at 6 ft. 9 inches. He did pretty good.

ricks
    the point isn't that he CAN'T do it...but he shouldn't be so set on doing it if it turns out to not be what he's suited for
    1200. DDMF.

the point isn't that he CAN'T do it...but he shouldn't be so set on doing it if it turns out to not be what he's suited for
    The story on Magic is that he felt he was suited to be the PG, and wanted to play PG. One of the big reasons, if not the biggest, he went to Michigan state is because they said they would let him pursue that. I don't see a difference here. Now, if things change in the near future for this young man regarding his growth and how it affects his game, etc., it will probably become a moot point, won't it?

ricks

He's only 15. He has plenty of time to figure stuff out. But for right now, he wants to be taken seriously as a PG rather than have coaches automatically assume that, given his height, he's a 2. I don't see an attitude issue in that. Here's a mix tape from his freshman year in HS (!). He certainly likes to pass the ball and seems pretty good at it.

I agree with Ricks here - a kid who has elite PG skills who's body might continue to grow sounds like a great asset. If he can maintain his ballhandling and dexterity while growing, that makes for quite a matchup nightmare.

Seems a lot easier to keep up your PG skills than to completely retrain someone for post moves after playing nothing but floor general.

+ all the usual rejoinders about 15 year old kids, blah blah, lots can change

Anybody remember a kid named Dunleavy?

Anybody remember a kid named Dunleavy?
    I sure do. He played collegiately at USC (the SEC one), played in the NBA for several years, and ended up coaching several NBA teams .

He's only 15. He has plenty of time to figure stuff out. But for right now, he wants to be taken seriously as a PG rather than have coaches automatically assume that, given his height, he's a 2. I don't see an attitude issue in that. Here's a mix tape from his freshman year in HS (!). He certainly likes to pass the ball and seems pretty good at it.
    Blah blah blah, mix tapes are so selective and edited, they don't mean anything - especially a 15 year old kid. How are you supposed to be able to learn ANYTHING about ANYONE from a mix tape? It's like watching SportsCenter and trying to draft a fantasy football team. They just highlight the flashy plays, yadda-yadda-yadda...

(watches)

Oh, yeah, he's a serious passer. Would love to see a true "pass-first" PG again. Even if it is four years down the road.

(tangent) - When I was playing basketball a billion years ago, there was a real pride in the pass-first mentality of a good point guard. The ability to find the open guy when he's only open for a fraction of a second, being able to squeeze the ball through tight places, and the cockiness to know that you could beat a double-team and find the guy you left free. Is this still a thing? I feel like the generation of Iverson-style PGs brought a "score first" frame of mind that has really changed the game. Even Chris Paul - a great passer - isn't in the mold of John Stockton.

This isn't meant to be a rant, but rather a sincere question - are pass first PGs largely a thing of the past?

(back on topic)

Kid looks great. Be interesting to see if his body continues to develop and how his game changes.

Let's not jump the gun on an offer here. Sometimes HS coaches get it wrong, so this needs to be confirmed. He is and will be the real deal, has a great handle, dunks in a smooth manner down the lane, etc. He listed Duke as one of 5 dream schools at 13 and is considered the real deal from scouts, rated the best at his position by ESPN. He is a solid kid from what I have gathered and he did visit Duke over the weekend. The last time Duke offered a soph? DeMarcus Nelson? Long time DBR'ers might remember I broke that news on this very site from the former Gibbons event we all miss so much. Anyhow, it is not Duke policy to offer kids this earlynow and Coach K always has to get a view. Running with what is said on twitter as a sure offer is not always wise in the recruiting world, but I sure as heck would not be upset if it is confirmed. Okay, update, offer has been confirmed. A rare telant for this to hapen
    Last edited by watzone; 08-11-2014 at 10:04 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain_Devil_91_92_01_10 View Post
    Blah blah blah, mix tapes are so selective and edited, they don't mean anything - especially a 15 year old kid. How are you supposed to be able to learn ANYTHING about ANYONE from a mix tape? It's like watching SportsCenter and trying to draft a fantasy football team. They just highlight the flashy plays, yadda-yadda-yadda...

(watches)

Oh, yeah, he's a serious passer. Would love to see a true "pass-first" PG again. Even if it is four years down the road.

(tangent) - When I was playing basketball a billion years ago, there was a real pride in the pass-first mentality of a good point guard. The ability to find the open guy when he's only open for a fraction of a second, being able to squeeze the ball through tight places, and the cockiness to know that you could beat a double-team and find the guy you left free. Is this still a thing? I feel like the generation of Iverson-style PGs brought a "score first" frame of mind that has really changed the game. Even Chris Paul - a great passer - isn't in the mold of John Stockton.

This isn't meant to be a rant, but rather a sincere question - are pass first PGs largely a thing of the past?

(back on topic)

Kid looks great. Be interesting to see if his body continues to develop and how his game changes.
    I don't think I've seen a pass first point guard at Duke since Quinn Cook or back when coach Thornton used to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain_Devil_91_92_01_10 View Post

(watches)

(back on topic)

I share your skepticism regarding highlight mix tapes. But if all you have are Ramen noodles, you eat Ramen noodles.

Pass-first PGs? I think Tyus Jones (despite his prodigious scoring in HS) is regarded as one. And there are NBA point guards whose role is that of a distributor and aren't thought of as great scorers. Rajon Rondo comes to mind. They're just so much more dangerous if they can also score.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I don't think I've seen a pass first point guard at Duke since Quinn Cook or back when coach Thornton used to play.
    Somebody please spork this, because i can't. Well said!

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    JP Tokoto was the 'top' player in his class when he was a sophomore. Taylor King was the 'top' player in his class as a freshman.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    JP Tokoto was the 'top' player in his class when he was a sophomore. Taylor King was the 'top' player in his class as a freshman.
    Not sure if those guys were actually rated #1. Jabari Parker was, however.

I share your skepticism regarding highlight mix tapes. But if all you have are Ramen noodles, you eat Ramen noodles.

Pass-first PGs? I think Tyus Jones (despite his prodigious scoring in HS) is regarded as one. And there are NBA point guards whose role is that of a distributor and aren't thought of as great scorers. Rajon Rondo comes to mind. They're just so much more dangerous if they can also score.
    I think most would agree that in recent memory, Kendall "Left-Hand" Marshall, would be considered a pass first PG. He averaged 8pt/9ast/1.3-3pt (40%) last year in LA. As well, Kyle "Slow-Mo" Anderson (listed at 6'9 on Basketball-Reference), was in a similar mold as Mr. Brown here, just a little taller. IIRC, his pops was very adamant about Kyle playing the PG position, wherever he ended up playing. Though, I'm not sure I would would classify his 5 assists per at UCLA, as a pass first PG.

The big difference here with concern to King and Tokoto is this. Tokoto was always considered a project by talent evaluators and rated off his pure athleticism. It became clear that he was what is called an upside guy but his outside shot never developed and that was a key factor as to something that needed to happen and stated by most who covered him on the AAU circuit. King was as we all know, a bit troubled, being labeled the next big thing at a ridiculously young age as well and said trouble came to light slowly. The position of point guard is much easier to evaluate early on. The upside for Brown like some others, bit not the aforementioned, is indeed his youth and he is still growing. He is already playing with older kids at a very high level and has an undisputable handle for his size that will not go away. What may happen is that he could play positions other than the point in time with his growth, but he is already quite adept from those I greatly trust with his skill set. By offering, Coach K is clearly saying he is confident in what he has seen and gathered for it is as we have talked about quite rare. King looked fabulous playing beside Kevin Love in Cameron back in the day and guru's surely get it wrong more often than they will admit, but Brown seems ahead of the curve of both those guys and he is still growing unlike the 6-6 King did. Tokoto has yet to reach his full potential as well but again, his athleticism wowed folks but his ranking continued to slip as the years went on as did Taylor King's to a degree. I personally think Troy Brown is a very safe bet to not disappoint, but that is simply an opinion, but a mildly educated one in that I have covered this kind of stuff for several years. It will be fun to see how he turns out and this offer admittedly excites me in that he seems like such a solid young man off the court and on. He competed in both the LeBron James Skills Academy and the Chris Paul PG camp, two prestigious Nike events and that bodes well for the future in that Duke is a Nike school. I am sure that Coach K being in Vegas often with Team USA doesn't hurt as well and in an article I will not link from my site in that most of the information has been shared already in this post, he is already involved with USA Basketball at a very young age and these guys do some serious scouting to see if a kid is worthy of the invitation.
    Last edited by watzone; 08-11-2014 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    The big difference here with concern to King and Tokoto is this. Tokoto was always considered a project by talent evaluators and rated off his pure athleticism. It became clear that he was what is called an upside guy but his outside shot never developed and that was a key factor as to something that needed to happen and stated by most who covered him on the AAU circuit. King was as we all know, a bit troubled, being labeled the next big thing at a ridiculously young age as well and said trouble came to light slowly. The position of point guard is much easier to evaluate early on. The upside for Brown like some others, bit not the aforementioned, is indeed his youth and he is still growing. He is already playing with older kids at a very high level and has an undisputable handle for his size that will not go away. What may happen is that he could play positions other than the point in time with his growth, but he is already quite adept from those I greatly trust with his skill set. By offering, Coach K is clearly saying he is confident in what he has seen and gathered for it is as we have talked about quite rare. King looked fabulous playing beside Kevin Love in Cameron back in the day and guru's surely get it wrong more often than they will admit, but Brown seems ahead of the curve of both those guys and he is still growing unlike the 6-6 King did. Tokoto has yet to reach his full potential as well but again, his athleticism wowed folks but his ranking continued to slip as the years went on as did Taylor King's to a degree. I personally think Troy Brown is a very safe bet to not disappoint, but that is simply an opinion, but a mildly educated one in that I have covered this kind of stuff for several years. It will be fun to see how he turns out and this offer admittedly excites me in that he seems like such a solid young man off the court and on. He competed in both the LeBron James Skills Academy and the Chris Paul PG camp, two prestigious Nike events and that bodes well for the future in that Duke is a Nike school. I am sure that Coach K being in Vegas often with Team USA doesn't hurt as well and in an article I will not link from my site in that most of the information has been shared already in this post, he is already involved with USA Basketball at a very young age and these guys do some serious scouting to see if a kid is worthy of the invitation.
    I really need to stop following recruiting. As much as I dread the apparent changes that are coming with the revenue sports it is clear that all the money chasing and catering to jocks and coaches has gotten completely out of hand and well beyond the supposed mission of higher education.