Page 211 of 249 FirstFirst ... 111161201209210211212213221 ... LastLast
Results 4,201 to 4,220 of 4964
  1. #4201
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    wow. i think this could be tremendous for us.
    Agreed. Just one opinion, but the benefits of adding Bagley far outweigh the risks. Adding Bagley greatly improves our odds of competing for a national championship. We have an extremely talented team at all natural positions, but we currently lack bench and post depth. Foul trouble, especially in a possible 6 game single elimination tourney could be devastating to this team. So could injury as always. But foul trouble should be expected - it's a common part of the game.

    And with Bagley, Bolden would still play plenty. He could easily earn plenty of minutes if K uses something like a 7 man rotation. Bolden would be in that 7 man rotation. Playing against each other in practice would help both Bolden and Bagley develop. I think the chances of Bolden transferring after this year (even with Bagley) are miniscule. We won't have anything close to the competition for minutes we had last year, even with the injuries.

    I can't speak for Bagley, but if he can pull this off it seems like a pretty smart move for him too. It's another year in the NBA earning millions in his prime instead of another year playing for free. He would be a top 4 pick next year, possibly #1.

    I hope we get him - 100%. This team has some amazing potential. Do I want to add a #1 ranked player who greatly improves our odds of celebrating and cutting down the nets during One Shining Moment and K getting # 6? Yes please.

  2. #4202
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    One thing that may be factoring into Bagley's decision is the increasing talk that the NBA is going to change the draft rules. It seems highly doubtful they will get the change made in time to affect the 2018 draft, but 2019 is a ways off and I would not be at all surprised if some new system were in place by then. Now, maybe that new system will allow guys to go directly out of high school or maybe it will require them to stay in school for 2 or 3 years... hard to say, but I would not be at all surprised if the Bagley family was not eager to take advantage of the current system and not take the risk of the unknown.

    -Jason "for that reason, I expect Bagley to reclassify and arrive at Duke (or somewhere else) in the next month" Evans
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  3. #4203
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    What is the cut-off date for Bagley to go to DR?

    I thought there was some rule that a player had to be enrolled in the 1st summer session to be able to travel in the 2nd summer session
    No, the rule is that the players have to be enrolled before they can practice with the team or travel on a summer trip. They did not have to be enrolled for the first summer session.

    But incoming freshmen do have to be enrolled for the second summer session, which began July 5 (and ends August 14). All of our other frosh are enrolled in the second simmer session.

    Bagley is not -- and it's too late for him to make it.

    That's no problem for him enrolling in the fall session and being eligible to play this season, but I can't see any way he makes the DR trip or participates in the pre-trip practices.

  4. #4204
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    No, the rule is that the players have to be enrolled before they can practice with the team or travel on a summer trip. They did not have to be enrolled for the first summer session.

    But incoming freshmen do have to be enrolled for the second summer session, which began July 5 (and ends August 14). All of our other frosh are enrolled in the second simmer session.

    Bagley is not -- and it's too late for him to make it.

    That's no problem for him enrolling in the fall session and being eligible to play this season, but I can't see any way he makes the DR trip or participates in the pre-trip practices.
    I think Bagley just needs to be eligible fall semester in order to participate in the summer trip and the practices leading up to it. See the highlight below.

    Link to the NCAA bylaw


  5. #4205
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Is there something new from his dad? Last I heard, the senior Bradley was giving one of those non-denial denial kind of things that could easily be parsed any way you want.

    Meanwhile, it is worth noting that Marvin Bagley's father is from Durham and the family still has relatives in town including Marvin's grandmother. Big point in Duke's favor when it comes to recruiting!
    I think Jason is right - Bagley's dad didn't really shoot down the rumor at all. He wisely evaded the question. At the very end of this video, Paul Biancardi says that he talked to Bagley's dad yesterday who said that no decision has been made yet on whether or not Bagley will reclassify to 2017. I'm guessing they are seriously considering it.

    http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=20081540

  6. #4206
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I think Bagley just needs to be eligible fall semester in order to participate in the summer trip and the practices leading up to it. See the highlight below.

    Link to the NCAA bylaw

    Yes, isn't that the whole reason they were able to start taking these trips in the summer rather than Fall break?

  7. #4207

    Thumbs up

    Well this summer just got a whole lot more interesting. I say let's get this guy and let Coach K sort out the rest. Would this be the best recruiting class ever with Bagley?

  8. #4208
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Meanwhile, it is worth noting that Marvin Bagley's father is from Durham and the family still has relatives in town including Marvin's grandmother.
    Wouldn't it be likely that his dad and other Durham relatives are UNC fans? I can't tell you how many Durham residents I have met over the years that turn out to be UNC fans, not Duke fans. It makes me sick, but it's true.

  9. #4209
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Wouldn't it be likely that his dad and other Durham relatives are UNC fans? I can't tell you how many Durham residents I have met over the years that turn out to be UNC fans, not Duke fans. It makes me sick, but it's true.
    And, truthfully, does that make any difference? This is a pretty commercial decision for the #1 recruit in the class.
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  10. #4210
    as a life long resident of durham, all i can say is GTHC!!!!

  11. #4211
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    And, truthfully, does that make any difference? This is a pretty commercial decision for the #1 recruit in the class.
    Well, it probably does not make a significant difference in this instance, though I would bet that in some families in a similar situation it actually might. The UNC hatred of Duke, particularly from UNC fans who live in the Triangle, can be so incredibly intense it is sometimes scary.

  12. #4212
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Wouldn't it be likely that his dad and other Durham relatives are UNC fans? I can't tell you how many Durham residents I have met over the years that turn out to be UNC fans, not Duke fans. It makes me sick, but it's true.
    The Durham newspaper did a survey of its readership in the early '90s and found that within Durham County, Duke and UNC fans were split almost dead evenly. Outside Durham County, the readership was overwhelming UNC.

    As for Bagley, I really doubt that he grew up in a pro UNC or anti-Duke environment. Everything I've heard about the kid is that he looks very favorably on Duke.

    And, I was told today by someone who knows, that despite his father's vague statement, Bagley is VERY likely to reclassify.

    If he does change to 2017, he will almost certainly pick either Duke, Arizona or Southern Cal. If he waits until 2018, several other schools could get involved.

  13. #4213
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    New York, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    What aspect of Team Development would you have reservations about?

    From a basketball chemistry perspective, if he's here by August to prepare for the DR trip, then he's ahead of any freshman in the country who's rehabbing an injury and can't practice with his teammates yet (e.g. Lonnie Walker of Miami, Giles last season). He's also going to be roughly as prepared as any freshman on a team that isn't embarking on a foreign trip this summer; Duke gets to practice up to 10 times to prepare for the DR trip, which will help make up for the time he missed in July.

    So, I'm thinking your reservations are more about interpersonal chemistry and current players being caught off-guard by this late addition and maybe not liking it. Hopefully, though, Coach K lives up to his reputation as a great communicator and someone who has spent his life studying leadership. I would expect that he would be communicating with the team that adding Bagley is a possibility and that he would get buy-in from the players before it happens.

    I would agree, though, that if Bagley can't go on the DR trip, I'd have reservations. That's going to be a huge team building event for this season.
    I meant more OAD filled teams versus trying to develop our non OAD players. The Chase Jeters of the world, if you will.

    - Chillin

  14. #4214
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    And, I was told today by someone who knows, that despite his father's vague statement, Bagley is VERY likely to reclassify.

    If he does change to 2017, he will almost certainly pick either Duke, Arizona or Southern Cal. If he waits until 2018, several other schools could get involved.
    Thanks for the scoop, Oly! Yeah, I'd say taking three official visits in July/August is somewhat of a giveaway, as the major prospects usually visit for a game or at least wait until after the semester has started so they can get a better feel for the campus when all the students are there.

    Hopefully Duke knocks it out of the park on his visit this week, and he doesn't even make it to Arizona or USC. That's why I think Coach K has probably already looped in the team on the Bagley situation so they can help recruit him when he's here.

  15. #4215
    Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    I meant more OAD filled teams versus trying to develop our non OAD players. The Chase Jeters of the world, if you will.

    - Chillin
    Ah, gotcha. Can I move you off your 45% approval number by pointing out -- not that you couldn't conclude the same -- that adding Bagley is basically the difference between being "merely" a top-10 team and being preseason #1. Did last season leave a bit of a bad taste in your mouth? Well, let's run it back, I say -- albeit with mostly different players -- and let's have a healthy team this season (knock on wood) playing with a true point guard (who additionally has defensive chops).

  16. #4216
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Hopefully Duke knocks it out of the park on his visit this week, and he doesn't even make it to Arizona or USC.
    What's sick is three teams already have starting frontcourts that 98-99% of college basketball would love to have.

    Arizona has the Ayton-Ristic combo. As of now, Zona is already my preseason #1 team, and I do NOT want Bagley to join them.

    USC has the Metu-Boatwright combo.

    And Duke has Wendell-Marques.

  17. #4217
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North of Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    Isn't a little to late for Bagley to graduate from HS in time to attend a college this fall? Unless he's been working on completing requirements behind the scenes, it just seems a little late to try to reclassify and graduate from HS in time for fall classes, especially since it is already mid July; and fall classes at Duke start in about a month from now.

    Can Bagley really pulls this off?
    Going back to this point, the whole thing is very odd to me. So he essentially has already graduated from HS and was just going to do another year for the fun of it? I'd like to think we take a little more pride in academics than our friends down the road and have made sure that his academics are 100% in order - I don't expect him to be getting a 4.0 in engineering but hopefully he has at least legitimately graduated from HS and has fulfilled all of the basic academic requirements that all enrolling Duke students must fulfill. It is very weird that this whole thing is surfacing so late - why didn't he make this decision months ago? A lot often goes on behind the scenes that we are not aware of, but that does not seem to be the case here.

  18. #4218
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    New York, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Ah, gotcha. Can I move you off your 45% approval number by pointing out -- not that you couldn't conclude the same -- that adding Bagley is basically the difference between being "merely" a top-10 team and being preseason #1. Did last season leave a bit of a bad taste in your mouth? Well, let's run it back, I say -- albeit with mostly different players -- and let's have a healthy team this season (knock on wood) playing with a true point guard (who additionally has defensive chops).
    Last season for sure left a bad taste. No question. But at the same time I like to think that I'm objective enough to understand that it was a confluence of events.

    That said, the issue that lands me on 45% is not next year, it's the future years. There seem to be two competing ideologies out there, and they've been somewhat clear and distinct on the Board. Last year's results aside, I do believe there is a balance that must be played between developing future seasons during the current season as well as playing the current season. I don't pretend to know where the point is that strikes such a theoretical balance. But the Bagley situation certainly seems like a tailor-made discussion point for that exact theory.

    - Chillin

  19. #4219
    Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Last season for sure left a bad taste. No question. But at the same time I like to think that I'm objective enough to understand that it was a confluence of events.

    That said, the issue that lands me on 45% is not next year, it's the future years. There seem to be two competing ideologies out there, and they've been somewhat clear and distinct on the Board. Last year's results aside, I do believe there is a balance that must be played between developing future seasons during the current season as well as playing the current season. I don't pretend to know where the point is that strikes such a theoretical balance. But the Bagley situation certainly seems like a tailor-made discussion point for that exact theory.

    - Chillin
    I would be more enthusiastic about getting another player if they were a solid 3pt shooter, whether he be a SG, SF or "stretch 4". Bagley may in fact be better than any or all of Bolden/Delaurier/Vrank, but it's not like we lack quality players that can be plugged into the frontcourt. We do lack 3pt shooters though. Grayson had a bad year last year, but when he's healthy, he's about as good a 3pt shooter in the NCAA. After him, we've got a lot of unknowns from 3. Jack White took 2 3s last year, making 1. After that, nobody on the team has taken a 3 in college. Duval has a rep as a mediocre 3pt shooter, Trent has a rep as a mediocre to + 3pt shooter. Tucker has a rep as a + 3pt shooter. O'Connell has a rep of being capable of shooting 3s. Goldwire might not play enough for his reputation to really matter. It could turn out that all of Duval, Trent, Tucker, O'Connell and White shoot the 3 at an above-replacement rate (ie., >33%), to complement a (hopefully) >40% shooter in Grayson.
    I'm not advocating that Duke not pursue Bagley, but landing him doesn't change Duke's dynamic as much as landing a high-quality 3pt threat. Of course any one of Bolden/Carter/Javin/Vrank might get injured and not play much/well during the season, and as such, Bagley would be a huge boost.

  20. #4220
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Yeah, I can see the (irresolvable?) Bigger Rotation discussion gathering steam if Bagley joins the party...for example I'm personally hopeful that DeLaurier gets some decent PT this season, regardless of the roster composition.

Similar Threads

  1. 2018 Basketball Recruiting Thread
    By Duke95 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 1510
    Last Post: 11-17-2017, 11:18 AM
  2. 2017 Football Recruiting
    By Bob Green in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 474
    Last Post: 04-29-2017, 12:56 PM
  3. 2016 Basketball Recruiting Thread
    By Ichabod Drain in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 3515
    Last Post: 08-02-2016, 12:01 AM
  4. Women's basketball 2017 season
    By terrell43n in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-12-2016, 03:22 PM
  5. Women's Basketball Recruiting
    By NYC Duke Fan in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-08-2007, 03:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •