Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (1) Quote "Denver Broncos RB Juwan Thompson: The Next Terrell Davis?"

http://predominantlyorange.com/2014/...terrell-davis/

I love some of the comments too like this one "Plus I failed to mention he's probably more NFL ready than the other UDFA's because he played in David Cutcliffe's system at Duke."

(2) Good job Renfree. Like Jason said, I hope he just plays sparingly for now but is the backup (Go Falcons!)

(3) Disappointing news about Thad Lewis getting cut. Many Bills fans seem to think he was a gamer and that he was at least better than Tuel (or tool?). Thad earned respect playing hard and beating good teams last year and playing competitively against NE, NO, Bengals, and Miami (x2). When Bradford went down the first thing I thought of was maybe Thad would get a chance in STL (even before Thad was cut). I was hoping Bills could trade him for a 7th round pick or something so the new team would have to have a sunk cost. But looks like another smart team can pick him up from waivers. I'll be cheering whichever team that is (except for that team's starting QB until Thad takes over).

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by HK Dukie View Post

(3) Disappointing news about Thad Lewis getting cut. Many Bills fans seem to think he was a gamer and that he was at least better than Tuel (or tool?). Thad earned respect playing hard and beating good teams last year and playing competitively against NE, NO, Bengals, and Miami (x2). When Bradford went down the first thing I thought of was maybe Thad would get a chance in STL (even before Thad was cut). I was hoping Bills could trade him for a 7th round pick or something so the new team would have to have a sunk cost. But looks like another smart team can pick him up from waivers. I'll be cheering whichever team that is (except for that team's starting QB until Thad takes over).
    Thad had a pretty bad camp, and didn't impress in the preseason games he played in. Tuel wasn't much better, but the fact is that he was better enough. The Bills coach has been majorly unhappy with his QB's, and it's not a bad bet that they will be shopping around for someone more dependable. Hopefully Thad will get a look from another team, but I fear that this summer did not help his chances.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by HK Dukie View Post
    When Bradford went down the first thing I thought of was maybe Thad would get a chance in STL (even before Thad was cut).
    Another thought would be his hometown Miami Dolphins. They just cut Brady Quinn and have another round of cuts before they cement their final roster. Their current third-stringer, bound to wind up either cut or on their practice squad, is an undrafted rookie from Northern Colorado. They also witnessed Thad beat them twice last year.

Don't get me wrong- his best chance of playing would be in St. Louis. But his chances of making a roster, even a practice squad roster, may be roughly equal in STL and Miami.

Sean Renfree went a respectable 9-12 for the Falcons tonight, but accumulated just 62 yards passing and only let the Falcons on one FG drive. He played the entire 2nd half at QB.

But, TJ Yates got the start and was a very impressive 15-20 for 243 yards passing. He led the Falcons to three first half TDs, two of which came on passes.

Now, I am sure there are various explanations having to do with game plan with a lead and quality of the personnel on the field for each QB, but there is little question that Yates looked muuuuch better than Renfree tonight.

Is it enough to cause the Falcons to pick Yates as the backup and (perhaps) waive Renfree or put him on the practice squad again? We will know in a few days...

-Jason "I sorta think a practice squad thing is very possible" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Well Thad's replacement sure didn't impress... 9-22 with 3 picks, 0 TDs.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Juwan Thompson led the Broncos rushing game last night.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Bad News / Good News for Anunike

Kenny Anunike, who had more than his share of injuries at Duke, apparently suffered a "significant" elbow injury in Thursday's final preseason tilt against Dallas. In better news, though, it sounds like the Broncos will keep him around on IR rather than releasing him, which suggests he showed the organization solid potential during camp and preseason. Link.

Nothing official yet, but it seems likely that Juwan Thompson will make the final 53 for the Broncos after a stellar preseason.

I'm looking forward to the influx of Duke ballers into the NFL over the next few years.

Thompson a Bronco

From Vic Lombardi, Denver sportscaster:

"@VicLombardi: As expected, Juwan Thompson makes the final 53. What a great story he's become."

Being a huge Broncos fan, I'm really excited to hear this. He has been the big story in Denver this preseason. Can't wait to see him take advantage of his time when it comes.

Seems to be speculation that Matt Barkley and maybe even Sanchez are on the block in Philly at QB. If so that would probably make room for a just worked out Thad Lewis to make the roster. If they liked what they saw in Thad they can pull the trigger on that trade.

http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/20...53-man-roster/

Cooper Helfet made the Seahawk 53 man roster. go Coop

Ross Cockrell on Bills' 53-man roster

The Bills' 4th-round draft pick, Ross Cockrell, made it to the 53-man roster as the 6th cornerback. Seems like he had a rather so-so camp and preseason, but we all know the potential he brings. That guy was a game-changer for Duke as his career advanced and left a legacy for the Devils' secondary.

Congrats to Ross.

Jeff Tuel, Thad's competition at QB for the Bills, was also cut. Bad year to be a back up in Buffalo.

George Edwards -- New Vikes Defense Coordinator

Y'all may remember Duke's All-ACC linebacker (1989), George Edwards. He's now the Defensive Coordinator for the Minnesota Vikings.

After bouncing around in college coaching for 7 years, he bounced around the NFL for 16 years (with a layover as DC for Florida in 2010). I'm sure he and his family would appreciate being at Minnesota for a few years.

Heaven knows that team needs help on defense; the Vikes gave up the most points in the NFL last season. He's teamed with Mike Zimmer, the new Head Coach and former DC for the Bengals, and Norv Turner at OC. They've installed a whole new defensive scheme in Minnesota, and the pre-season results under Edwards have been impressive: Opposing teams averaged 12 ppg in the four pre-season games, all won by the Vikings. It's a great situation for him, because he has a defensive-minded head coach, and the Vikes will surely do better than they did last year on D.

Good luck to Coach Edwards.

Sean Renfree is a co-number-2 QB on Atlanta's depth chart. Not sure how that works.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoke View Post
    Sean Renfree is a co-number-2 QB on Atlanta's depth chart. Not sure how that works.
    Has there ever been two Duke/UNC guys that played against each other in school move on to the next level and then compete once again for as high a level position as NFL QB?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoke View Post
    ...number-2 QB on Atlanta's depth chart. Not sure how that works.
    Generally speaking, poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Has there ever been two Duke/UNC guys that played against each other in school move on to the next level and then compete once again for as high a level position as NFL QB?
    Sonny Jurgensen and Danny Talbott once competed at QB for the Washington Redskins.

But they didn't play against each other in college.

I'm just thrilled to hear that Renfree and (especially) Thompson made rosters. That's progress. For a while, I think we had just Patrick Mannelly (affectionately known to Bears fans as "The Mann" or "The Mullett") in the league. Good to see that the positive results on the field with Cutcliffe are translating to more players in the NFL.

I suspect that Thompson's role in Denver will be as a special teams player, as he's behind Montee Ball, CJ Anderson, and Ronnie Hillman at RB. I wonder if his play as a linebacker while at Duke helped him make the squad. In any case, it's nice to see him make it. Getting players into the league at the skill positions is a huge boost.

Hopefully Crowder (and perhaps Boone?) joins the list of skill players in the NFL next year. He certainly has the speed and explosiveness; only question will be concerns about his size.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I'm just thrilled to hear that Renfree and (especially) Thompson made rosters. That's progress. For a while, I think we had just Patrick Mannelly (affectionately known to Bears fans as "The Mann" or "The Mullett") in the league. Good to see that the positive results on the field with Cutcliffe are translating to more players in the NFL.

I suspect that Thompson's role in Denver will be as a special teams player, as he's behind Montee Ball, CJ Anderson, and Ronnie Hillman at RB. I wonder if his play as a linebacker while at Duke helped him make the squad. In any case, it's nice to see him make it. Getting players into the league at the skill positions is a huge boost.

Hopefully Crowder (and perhaps Boone?) joins the list of skill players in the NFL next year. He certainly has the speed and explosiveness; only question will be concerns about his size.
    Isaac Blakeny has a chance to get on some radar screens. If he can continue to improve his route-running, his size and athleticism should give him a chance. A poor-man's Kelvin Benjamin.

Speaking of the NFL, Laken Tomlinson projects as the highest Duke draft pick in a generation. Third round, maybe second.