Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Dukies in the NFL 2014

Juwan Thompson

5 carries for 59 yards

Looking good in the 2 open practices I've seen, and looking great tonight. Would love to see him make the team.
    Last edited by Dev11; 08-08-2014 at 01:48 PM. Reason: clarify after thread merge

Bengals QB vomits, then throws TD strike to... Conner Vernon!

http://fansided.com/2014/08/08/benga...video/#!byVoFs

Mad props to Vernon. I don't know that I would even *want* to catch that one...

He showed both power and speed in the game last night, but most importantly he showed decisiveness. As soon as a hole opened up, he had a foot in the ground and was through it. With two of the Broncos' top three RBs currently down, Juwan will get a ton of looks during the preseason, and even when those guys are back, his special teams prowess should keep him on the roster.

As it relates to Duke Football, it can't hurt to have NFL announcers mentioning "Duke" and "David Cutcliffe" frequently on TV. During the telecast last night, John Lynch (I believe) made the point that Juwan's smarts coming from Duke and Cutcliffe's program were an edge --- he's less overwhelmed by the playbook and more focused on playing football.

Continued signs that Duke Football's trajectory is steeply upward-sloping. It won't be long before other NFL executives see the quality of players available in Durham. The Broncos are early to the game, since Peyton knows Cutcliffe's program better than most.

Nah, I heard Conner did some pre-draft training with Rodney Hood to prepare for this type of situation.

(Kidding, of course)

brings new meaning to the phrase "hurling a touchdown pass"

Here is a link hot of the press from Denver on Juwan - http://gazette.com/blog-never-heard-...rticle/1535248

And we know he's excellent on special teams, so that should work for him in making the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    Here is a link hot of the press from Denver on Juwan - http://gazette.com/blog-never-heard-...rticle/1535248
    Money quotes from Paul Klee (I love his paintings!):

By Paul Klee Published: August 8, 2014

Other than what I’ve seen from Broncos running back Juwan Thompson in training camp, I didn’t know much about him. I knew he went to Duke. I knew he entered Broncos camp as an undrafted free agent.

I knew that every time I went on a radio show this week, I told the host to keep an eye out for Juwan Thompson, that he's got a chance, and I really like his game.
    Looks like a sleeper. The article goes on to mention that he likes the Broncos pass-first offense 'cuz it's complicated and is what he has experience with (Go Duke!), which would not be the view of most RBs coming into the league.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Nice article on both Juwan Thompson and Kenny Anunike.
    First, Juwan Thompson looked like a stud. He finished the game with 59 yards on six carries but also had some explosive runs called back on bogus penalties. The Broncos are on the hunt for a fourth running back behind Montee Ball, Ronnie Hillman, and CJ Anderson and right now, Thompson appears to have a hold on it.
    Anunike struggled with injuries throughout his Duke career, even being granted a sixth year of eligibility in his time there. However, since coming to the Broncos, he’s been nothing short of spectacular, applying constant pressure and winning one-on-one situations in practice and doing much of the same in Thursday night’s game.
    http://nflmocks.com/2014/08/08/bronc...enver-victory/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Vernon cut by the Bengals

Apparently catching a vomit-ball for a touchdown wasn't enough. Conner did so many great things in a Duke uniform, and his toughness is off the charts, but it seems like he might have trouble sticking in the NFL.

Duke vs UNC, NFL edition.

Sean Renfeee and TJ Yates are battling for the backup job behind Matt Ryan. Given Yates' previous NFL experience and the fact that Renfree is outplaying him so far.

Another chapter in the optimal UNC season?

More Juwan

Eric Karabell
    Team-by-team running back outlook
    " Montee Ball will be awesome. If not, for health, performance or blocking reasons, I still view it as doubtful Ronnie Hillman turns into a 20-touch guy per game. I do think if anyone becomes the next Knowshon Moreno, coming out of nowhere for this franchise, it's not Hillman or C.J. Anderson, but Juwan Thompson."

Thompson also received some good press from CBSSports:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/...-to-contribute

2. Broncos RB Juan Thompson: A former Duke player with run skills and an ability to be a third-down back. With Montee Ball sidelined, he was getting work with the No. 1 offense and I was impressed.
    Now they need to learn to spell his name!
    Bob Green

Sean Renfree and Juwan Thompson had good games last night:

Duke Football ‏@Duke_FB · 3m
    Former #Duke QB Sean Renfree was 5-of-7 passing for 59 yards & QBR of 96.7 last night for @Atlanta_Falcons. #DukeintheNFL #GoDuke
    Duke Football ‏@Duke_FB · 2m
    Once again, former #Duke RB @JuwanJuju23 led the @Broncos in rushing with 4 carries for 33 yards (8.3) last night. #DukeintheNFL #GoDuke
    Unfortunately, Conner Vernon was cut by the Detroit Lions.
    Bob Green

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Thad Lewis did not play at all yesterday, and has not had a good camp or been impressive in his pre-season games. It looks like Tuel will be taking over his spot as the backup QB for the Bills.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Thad Lewis did not play at all yesterday, and has not had a good camp or been impressive in his pre-season games. It looks like Tuel will be taking over his spot as the backup QB for the Bills.
    let's hope the now desperate rams want thad back since they are in dire straits with bradford out.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    I went to the Broncos game this weekend and got all kinds of hyped to see Juwan out there. He played on most kick and punt returns, and looked good running the ball during third string reps. I don't think I spotted Kenny.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Unfortunately, Conner Vernon was cut by the Detroit Lions.
    I wonder if Vernon made a good enough impression with Peyton Manning during the preseason workouts at Duke to get a look by the Broncos now that Welker is out again. Btw, I wonder if this might be the end of the road for Welker. He has had 3 concussions in under 9 months.

Falcons coach Mike Smith says no one has won the backup QB job yet, but everyone says Renfree appears to have the lead on TJ Yates at this point. Renfree would, I believe, be eligible for the practice squad while Yates would not so it is possible they will try to keep both that way. Most folks seem to think the Falcons don't want to keep 3 QBs. We'll see how it shakes out.

-Jason "rooting for Sean but, as a Falcons fan, I hope he only very rarely plays... like late in games only" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by NovaScotian View Post
    let's hope the now desperate rams want thad back since they are in dire straits with bradford out.
    We will find out- Thad was just released.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...qb-thad-lewis/