Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AncientPsychicT View Post
    The following post is from the 22nd of May:

Apparently, according to Jeter himself, he's a 7 footer on the court (and I doubt he's shrunk 2 inches in 2.5 months).

Caveat: I'm not 100% sure how Henderson got this information; however, if you go back and read the 2015 Recruiting Thread (this particular post is on pg 26), it certainly seemed like Henderson had some source relaying him information re: Jeter. Perhaps he knows someone close to him? I don't know, but he seemed like he knew what he was talking about whenever he talked about Jeter in that thread.
    I was quoting a feature on Jeter that appeared in the local paper in May. He told the interviewer with some apparent satisfaction that he'd been measured at 7-0 with shoes. I don't have any special insights or contacts. It's just that I live in Las Vegas, where Jeter grew up, goes to high school, and where he gets a lot of local coverage that doesn't go national. So I pass on the local stuff when it seems relevant.
    Last edited by Henderson; 08-05-2014 at 08:36 PM.

If anyone is interested, here is an interview with Chase Jeter done right after his announcement http://bluedevilnation.net/2014/08/n...eter-sits-bdn/

A really good kid who will fit in well at Duke. He has a ton of upside and you have to like that old school-ish hook shot of his.

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    If anyone is interested, here is an interview with Chase Jeter done right after his announcement http://bluedevilnation.net/2014/08/n...eter-sits-bdn/

A really good kid who will fit in well at Duke. He has a ton of upside and you have to like that old school-ish hook shot of his.
    The article appears to be behind the pay wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    The article appears to be behind the pay wall.
    My apologies. I am working on a free link now.

Here is a link I think I corrected to open up the Chase Jeter interview after his decision - http://bluedevilnation.net/2014/08/c...h-open-public/ Somebody let me know if it is working properly now, please.

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    Here is a link I think I corrected to open up the Chase Jeter interview after his decision - http://bluedevilnation.net/2014/08/c...h-open-public/ Somebody let me know if it is working properly now, please.
    It is working now. Thanks!

Chase and super wing Jalen Brown were named co-MVP's of the Elite24 game tonight in NYC. Big end-of-summer all-star game, with all the top players participating. Jeter had 17 points and an event-record 15 boards.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Chase and super wing Jalen Brown were named co-MVP's of the Elite24 game tonight in NYC. Big end-of-summer all-star game, with all the top players participating. Jeter had 17 points and an event-record 15 boards.
    The kid likes to bound..

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    The kid likes to bound..
    I hope so. With a 2015-16 big rotation of Chase, Sean Obi, and seniors Amile and Marshall, we might actually outrebound everyone, for a change.

I hope so. With a 2015-16 big rotation of Chase, Sean Obi, and seniors Amile and Marshall, we might actually outrebound everyone, for a change.
    To be fair, most Duke teams end up with positive rebounding numbers for the season -- 2013 and 2006 were rare exceptions. Last year's taam was ninth in the 15-team ACC with a 2,0 rebound margin.

On the other hand, few Duke teams are exceptionally strong as rebounding teams -- 2010 did lead the ACC (and I believe led the nation in offensive rebounds), but that was the first Duke team to lead the ACC on the boards since 1986, 1988 and 1989 -- three times in four years.

Amen to that. And they'll have another year of development by then, 3 of them w/i the Duke system. It's also possible we'll have Winslow back another year. Plus there's Semi, who has a rebounder's body. And this year might not be too bad either with Okafor, Amile, MP3, and Winslow + whatever Semi can provide.

I think this is two years in a row that a Duke recruit was co-MVP of that tournament. Last year it was Tyus Jones.

Is there a box score available? I did a desultory search and didn't see one, then got lazy.

BTW, Chase Jeter's High School, Bishop Gorman, is ranked #1 in the nation in prep football and won their opener on Friday 44-0. It features Snoop Dogg's son -- Cordell "Don't Call Me Snoop Puppy" Broadus -- at wide receiver.

Anybody else see the family resemblance (facially) between Chase and Derek Jeter. Some of the photos are uncanny.
    Last edited by Henderson; 08-24-2014 at 01:03 PM.

Replay of Elite24 game on ESPNU today, this aft, 3 pm.

ETA: Just read that Brandon Ingram won 3-pt contest.
    Last edited by gumbomoop; 08-24-2014 at 01:43 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Replay of Elite24 game on ESPNU today, this aft, 3 pm.

ETA: Just read that Brandon Ingram won 3-pt contest.
    Thanks for the heads up on the TV replay.

Short highlight clip of Chase in the E24 game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnpyCN-84lI

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Feet POF View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on the TV replay.
    Having watched the first half, I'm undecided as to whether the appropriate response to your thanks is "You're welcome," or .... "I apologize." It's a close call.

Lots of talent, not much basketball.

I will observe that Harry Giles is real good. As are several others. Also, Chase Jeter's down-pat jump hook is so down and pat that the commentators refer to it as his "signature move." Fortunately, it's legible, legit, consistent. Welcome to Duke, definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    To be fair, most Duke teams end up with positive rebounding numbers for the season -- 2013 and 2006 were rare exceptions. Last year's taam was ninth in the 15-team ACC with a 2,0 rebound margin.
    My comment wasn't meant to be taken literally. What I meant was rebounding will probably be considered a Duke strength, which is unusual from a historical perspective. Even in 2010, when rebounding absolutely was a Duke strength, that wasn't the general consensus among the talking heads. It's possible that in 2015-16, when a commentator lists the keys to the game, the bullet point -- "keep them off the boards" will be referring to keeping Duke off the boards and not Duke preventing opposing rebounds.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Having watched the first half, I'm undecided as to whether the appropriate response to your thanks is "You're welcome," or .... "I apologize." It's a close call.

Lots of talent, not much basketball.

I will observe that Harry Giles is real good. As are several others. Also, Chase Jeter's down-pat jump hook is so down and pat that the commentators refer to it as his "signature move." Fortunately, it's legible, legit, consistent. Welcome to Duke, definitely.
    I'll say Thank You, all data is welcome!

Here are some evaluations of Jeter from Peach State Basketball (I did not see these posted previously)

http://peachstatebasketball.com/bran...tember-4-2014/

Quote Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
    Here are some evaluations of Jeter from Peach State Basketball (I did not see these posted previously)

Are you trying to tell me that Duke got back-to-back top 3 big men in 2014 & 2015? What is going on!!! I thought we were a guard-oriented school! I thought Duke can't recruit big men! I thought big men hate Duke!

The sky is falling!!!! Noooooooooooooo!

(/sarcasm. Like, the whole post)
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post

Having now watched the "Chase Jeter Spring Mixtape", I have come to a few conclusions:
    - big men probably shouldn't get mixtapes made... they look a bit silly
    - Jeter does seem to have a nice touch to his jump hook (at least the few times they appeared in his mix tape), which is good because he's pretty skinny
    - Jeter appears to be a big fan of the "and-1-style" pass fake over the head of the defender. I can't imagine Coach K will let that fly at Duke.
    - Jeter appears to be the yang to Sean Obi's yin. Or the Jack Sprat to Obi's "Jack Sprat's wife"