View Poll Results: As a Duke fan what's the most satisfying UNC season?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • 32-4 with losses to only Duke

17 16.19%
  • 0-27 utter failure

16 15.24%
  • Mediocrity and irrelevance

15 14.29%
  • I could give a s*** about UNC

10 9.52%
  • Roy resigns after his entire record at unc is vacated, followed by a generation of turmoil

47 44.76%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Duke national championship, UNC NIT runner's up. I miss you, 2010.
    I forget who said this, (Heimel?) but somebody that year said something like "I want to sew a UNC NIT runner-up shirt to the back of a Duke NCAAT championship shirt."

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    That film got its butt raucously kicked by the Coens' remake, but I do like the idea of John Wayne being put out to pasture. Or desert.
    Considering the era Wayne played Cogburn in, I'd say his version was more ground-breaking in it's time than the Coen Brother's was in theirs.

I'm still waiting for the definitive version of True Grit.

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    Considering the era Wayne played Cogburn in, I'd say his version was more ground-breaking in it's time than the Coen Brother's was in theirs.

Considering that the book itself is so fussy, mannered, and precious, I doubt there will be one.

The Coens, at least, achieved the remarkable feat of making me not root for the pit of snakes.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Optimal headline: "New Head Coach Mary Willingham . . . ."

The final fight scene in the 1969 movie, where John Wayne rides his horse towards the outlaws, shooting rifles in each arm, isn't definitive enough for you?

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    The final fight scene in the 1969 movie, where John Wayne rides his horse towards the outlaws, shooting rifles in each arm, isn't definitive enough for you?
    No, because DDL does the same thing with no horse, long-rifles, running up a North Carolina mountain toward Madeleine freaking Stowe in a whole nother movie.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Okay, now that this is what we're talking about, there exactly one film in which I can tolerate Wayne's presence for more than five minutes: his last, The Shootist. And that has more to do with Stewart and Bacall than with him. Ad the fact that he's dying of cancer on screen gives me the sads.

The woman in the 1969 film, as I've said, makes me root for the snakes. (How horrible is that? But yes, I said it). I'm not going to look her name up because I just can't. 45 years later, she still needs to lose that hat. And stop talking that way. But now we're back to the novel.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Okay, now that this is what we're talking about, there exactly one film in which I can tolerate Wayne's presence for more than five minutes: his last, The Shootist. And that has more to do with Stewart and Bacall than with him. Ad the fact that he's dying of cancer on screen gives me the sads.

The woman in the 1969 film, as I've said, makes me root for the snakes. (How horrible is that? But yes, I said it). I'm not going to look her name up because I just can't. 45 years later, she still needs to lose that hat. And stop talking that way. But now we're back to the novel.
    The Quiet Man is a classic.

He is also great in The Longest a day although it is more cameo-esque than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    The Quiet Man is a classic.

He is also great in The Longest a day although it is more cameo-esque than anything.
    What's wrong with "Sands of Iwo Jima?"
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    What's wrong with "Sands of Iwo Jima?"
    Not a damn thing.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor

Throaty, pal, you are killing me here man.. Am I understanding this correctly that you are not a fan of The Duke? John Freakin Wayne? Please say it ain't so Joe....

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    I'm on board with this line of thought. I'll always, ALWAYS root against UNC, but come on, it's a crappy rivalry if the one of the teams constantly sucks. We also get no credit for any wins in the ACC if our competition is garbage. As long as they lose to Duke, I couldn't care less about what they do in their other games. But you can't ignore the fact that it ultimately helps Duke when they are good. If it means Duke benefits, I'll consider anything else secondary to the ultimate cause, even if it means UNC is good . . .

but not as good as us.
    Thanks for articulating my own thoughts on this better than I was able to. What's the fun of walking over your rival when everyone else does too? How much more awesome when your rival is impossible to defeat... for everyone else who doesn't your talent, coaching, homecourt fans, etc?

Sporks comin' at you for saying what I was feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Throaty, pal, you are killing me here man.. Am I understanding this correctly that you are not a fan of The Duke? John Freakin Wayne? Please say it ain't so Joe....
    I'm more of an Eastwood man. He's like the Hubert Davis of...no that doesn't work.

Adjust, that, actually. I'm a revisionist western man. I can't take the unironic ones. The overwhelming majority of Wayne's films set in the West argue that manifest destiny was a justifiable project.

Sergio Leone, brah.

I blame my pal Hurleyfor3 for this threadjack.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Well, the original did have Glenn Campbell.

Attachment 4279

I'm more of an Eastwood man. He's like the Hubert Davis of...no that doesn't work.

Adjust, that, actually. I'm a revisionist western man. I can't take the unironic ones. The overwhelming majority of Wayne's films set in the West argue that manifest destiny was a justifiable project.

Sergio Leone, brah.

If you can't threadjack in early August, when can you?

Not just the thread, I hijacked the original poll! And my option won, so there!

No, because DDL does the same thing with no horse, long-rifles, running up a North Carolina mountain toward Madeleine freaking Stowe in a whole nother movie.
    He is running after Uncas, who is running after Alice Munro. Cora and Chingachook are behind and of course we know what the last of the Mohicans does to the Huron, Magua.

Take this thread to Cuba!

Oh, and GTH,C.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Not just the thread, I hijacked the original poll! And my option won, so there!
    Should we do another poll? How about...

What calamity would you like to see happen in Chapel Hill?

• Michael Jordan's letter from Coach K spontaneously combusts (reducing the smugness in that town by 12.5%)
    • A big snowfall causes the roof on the Dean Dome to collapse, ruining all 192 retired jerseys
    • Helms Foundation rescinds the 1924 "championship" due to academic irregularities
    • NCAA instructional video for referees released declaring 56% of Hansborough's points invalid because of charges, travels and over-the-back fouls not called
    • Massive sewage backup in the Dean Dome lasts for the first month of practice
    • Clemson wins in CH

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Should we do another poll? How about...

What calamity would you like to see happen in Chapel Hill?

• Michael Jordan's letter from Coach K spontaneously combusts (reducing the smugness in that town by 12.5%)
    • A big snowfall causes the roof on the Dean Dome to collapse, ruining all 192 retired jerseys
    • Helms Foundation rescinds the 1924 "championship" due to academic irregularities
    • NCAA instructional video for referees released declaring 56% of Hansborough's points invalid because of charges, travels and over-the-back fouls not called
    • Massive sewage backup in the Dean Dome lasts for the first month of practice
    • Clemson wins in CH
    The massive sewage backup that is Carolina Basketball has been going on at the Dean Dome since 1986.

Trivia Time: What famous person uttered on screen the following lines relevant to UNC-CH?

“Well, there are some things a man just can’t run away from.”

And:

“Don’t apologize—it’s a sign of weakness.”