View Poll Results: What will Quinn Cook's role become?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • Starting PG (Jones comes off the bench)

31 29.52%
  • Starter w/Jones

49 46.67%
  • 1st guy off the bench

20 19.05%
  • Deeper in the rotation

5 4.76%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Here's the exact quote:

"The possibility that Justise (especially as a freshman) will be better than a first-team All American is soooooo remote, it might as well be absolute."

Since MKG wasn't actually 1st team, (he was 2nd team), I'll just equate that to making All-America. OK . . . so he said there's since almost no chance Winslow makes AA, that basically equals absolutely no chance Winslow makes AA.

I took that that and applied it to winning a title. The chance of winning a title is pretty minuscule in today's world of college basketball, even with a great team. By his logic, we have no chance to win a title. Comprende?

I'm just saying, let's keep the glass half full.
    I "comprende" just fine. It just doesn't make sense. It doesn't follow internally, nor does it follow from Kedsy's post, that because Winslow has almost no chance to be an AA, that anyone is "giving up on" him, and it doesn't follow that because our (or anyone's) chances of winning the championship are small, that we should just cancel or forget about the season.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I "comprende" just fine. It just doesn't make sense. It doesn't follow internally, nor does it follow from Kedsy's post, that because Winslow has almost no chance to be an AA, that anyone is "giving up on" him, and it doesn't follow that because our (or anyone's) chances of winning the championship are small, that we should just cancel or forget about the season.
    He basically was "giving up" on Winslow's chances to be an AA, for which I think any promising player deserves the benefit of the doubt. Good lord, it was a joke. Come on. You really thought I wanted to cancel the season? Stop taking everything so seriously.
    Last edited by kAzE; 07-29-2014 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    I expect the rotation thread is coming soon.
    Newsflash: this IS the rotation thread

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Newsflash: this IS the rotation thread
    One of the rotation threads that could turn into one of the minutes threads

Couple of observations. Jabari encountered difficulty scoring the ball at start of ACC play and well into it. Most of difficulty was due to getting it to him low, with expectation that he'd get fouled or dunk. Didn't happen, until Jabari would start doing some incredible stuff, often well into half. Sometimes he would not become effective until K let him roam. Unlike Hood, whom I thought showed consistent discernment, Jabari, with the weight K put on him and extent to which opponents committed to taking him out of his game, was catching it all over the place, and, as consequence attack lost its shape and Jabari took more improvident shots.

You know where this goes with regard to Cooke'd efficiency

While I thought Duke did very nicely on offensive board, that did not seem to me to be the case on defensive board. Also, Duke not great at turning people over. As consequence, run outs, early offense not very available, a strength of Cooke's

Finally, platooning basically focused first team on getting ball to big two--other 2 guys did not shoot. Different game then when running with Rasheed and/or Dawkins

Second finally, when K would go away from platooning in second half, usually Tyler lead team. Cooke might well have come in with directions to open things up, get offense scoring and score the ball himself. Maybe not so easy, especially when told to look to score after playing passively and not having had chances to feel, test defense or get something easy.

As for starting/pt, K likes settling influence of experienced player(s) on court with freshman. Amile I think will be exceptional. My guess, unless he makes Bad plays, or somebody new (donn'y know names) completely wins K's trust, K wants Cooke on floor. Rasheed, whom I really, really have high hopes for, probably a year away and perhaps too good as all around maker of plays to serve as leader k would choose. There is Duke; Duke not easy to "get" on fly.

Cooke? I thought his name was Quinn Cook. GoDuke!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Duhon and Williams and Dawkins and Amaker make me feel pretty good about this. Wojo and Avery make me a little unsettled. But I think Cook is more suited to play off-guard and let Jones be playmaker than Wojo was. I'll gladly accept the Duhon Williams season and let us move on to another topic.

Remember that Coach K said Cook's best contribution to the team last season was his shooting. I think that is telling regarding Cook's role and Jones' role next season.

Super "Next Season!!!!" Dave

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Duhon and Williams and Dawkins and Amaker make me feel pretty good about this. Wojo and Avery make me a little unsettled. But I think Cook is more suited to play off-guard and let Jones be playmaker than Wojo was. I'll gladly accept the Duhon Williams season and let us move on to another topic.

Remember that Coach K said Cook's best contribution to the team last season was his shooting. I think that is telling regarding Cook's role and Jones' role next season.

Super "Next Season!!!!" Dave
    I don't worry about that tandem at all on offense. I think they will mesh just fine actually. How we pull it off on defense will be the key. One of them will have to be able to ball hawk the other PG for it to work. Or they can rotate that responsibility if it comes to it. There will be a ton of competition with the backcourt spots though. Matt Jones and Rasheed are talented dudes as well.

I think maybe this year we get the versatile team we thought we were getting last season. Defense and Leadership will be by far the biggest question marks for this group. I have no doubts at all they will collectively score a lot of points in a variety of ways. They will be hard to stop on offense and just like two seasons ago with Mason, if we badly need a bucket, we dump it down on the block to the big fella and let him go to work. So I have full confidence in offense, and the Jones/Cook tandem will generate points for this team.

Can they get a stop or multiple stops when they absolutely have to have them in the final 5 minutes of tight games unlike last season? TBD...