Thornton joins the staff at Duke University - Milwaukee

AKA Marquette...congrats to Tyler and Wojo (and C-Well). Those are going to be some great coaches pick-up games (Wojo, C-Well, Tyler, Diener, Brett Nelson, Justin Gainey etc.)

Steve Wojciechowski ‏@steve_wojo 5m
    Proud & excited to add @tythornton3 to our staff today. Will impact our program/players big time! Honored to give him his start.#family
    Last edited by Billy Dat; 07-25-2014 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    AKA Marquette...congrats to Tyler and Wojo (and C-Well). Those are going to be some great coaches pick-up games (Wojo, C-Well, Tyler, Diener, Brett Nelson, Justin Gainey etc.)

Proud & excited to add @tythornton3 to our staff today. Will impact our program/players big time! Honored to give him his start.#family
    Wow. Time flies. It seems like he was just playing for the Blue Devils.

Considering he was considered our best leader and best communicator, seems like a natural next step

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post

Awesome for him. Amazing to watch this coaching tree blossom.

Did he have any offers to play overseas?

Seems like a formative experience to miss out on.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Did he have any offers to play overseas?

Seems like a formative experience to miss out on.
    "Overseas" was afraid of Tyler . . . for good reason. He bad (in a good way, of course).

This is great news for Tyler as well as Coach Wojo and Marquette University. After the way Coach K raved about Tyler's leadership, communications and understanding of the game, I guess it was inevitable Tyler would go into coaching. It is awesome he is starting out at Marquette under Coach Wojo.

I wonder what position on the staff he will be filling.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post

Toughness Coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    This is great news for Tyler as well as Coach Wojo and Marquette University. After the way Coach K raved about Tyler's leadership, communications and understanding of the game, I guess it was inevitable Tyler would go into coaching. It is awesome he is starting out at Marquette under Coach Wojo.

I believe he will be a Graduate Assistant, if that helps. This is going to be a really solid coaching staff at Marquette, one that will be able to succeed long into the future.

http://www.fayobserver.com/blogs/spo...html?mode=jqm

Ah, I just knew TT was going to get into coaching, just didn't realize it would be immediately. I was looking forward to seeing what kind of career he might have overseas, but I guess this is his goal. Good luck to all the Dukies at Marquette.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Ah, I just knew TT was going to get into coaching, just didn't realize it would be immediately. I was looking forward to seeing what kind of career he might have overseas, but I guess this is his goal. Good luck to all the Dukies at Marquette.
    Per K, Tyler told him on Day 1 as a Freshman, he wanted to improve daily as a player, but also prepare daily to be a coach once his college career ended. From what I read, Tyler never had any intentions of pursuing a professional playing career. He wanted to coach.

I agree this is a great pick up for Wojo, as was the C-Well pick up. Tyler can immediately relate to all of the guys on a personal level in a way the older coaches can't, plus, and I think this is big, i think Tyler can help teach kids with lesser talents, a lot of little things they can do to maximize the talents they have, and offset the skills they lack in other ways. That can be a big help at a place like Marquette where obviously not every rotation player is going to be a 4 star/5 star kid.

I am really looking forward to see how Wojo performs as a head coach leading his own program. I hope he shines. Guess we all have a new team to pull for now in addition to Duke, Stanford, Harvard, Northwestern, etc. I need to go to the mall and pick me up some additional hats or buy them online or something.

Wow, Wojo & Tiny Thor on the same bench? We know the Golden Eagles will be one feisty bunch...

I knew Tyler Thornton wanted to go into coaching. I had been wondering if he would move into the Special Assistant position just vacated when John Scheyer moved up a chair. Anybody know if Duke will be filling that position or not?

Best of luck at Marquette, Tyler! We'll miss you down here, but know you will do great up yonder.
    Last edited by Bob Green; 07-26-2014 at 07:14 AM. Reason: remove abbreviated profanity
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil