Page 26 of 39 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Okay, I'll play this game.
    Justise Winslow? Put him at WR, or he'd be a great Safety, a ballhawk and not afraid of contact
    Tyus Jones -- gotta be a QB, so smart and poised, great in the clutch
    But, but, he is too short.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    It is hard to describe what a big win it is to keep someone from the Bulldogs. That is religion down here.
    I couldn't agree more with you. This kid is from Athens! UGA isn't aware that any other sport outside of college football actually exists. They fact that the let such a talented young man from their own backyard slip through their fingers, even after their rivals in the SEC were offering is stunning. The fact that he chose Durham over all of them is astounding to say the least!

Great article on Duke Recruiting Success

http://duke.247sports.com/Article/Wh...-2016-38012758

Great article talking about the big upswing in recent years for Duke on the recruiting trail. Wanted to share with the group, enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    http://recruiting.blog.ajc.com/2015/...rned-down-uga/

More detail. More of Kraeling's logic. Also, some film clips.

I think I love this kid already.

Would it have made a difference if UGA had offered before Kraeling had committed to Duke?

"Yes sir, I probably would've thought about things a little differently," Kraeling said, before pausing for a few seconds.

"But knowing how I have gone through the recruiting process, I probably would have still decided on Duke even if Georgia had offered. Coach (David Cutcliffe) is a great guy. Not just him, but the other coaches, too … Nobody is there to be flashy. They're real people, and they put in the hard work. There's no drama. It's football, academics and how to be a man. Those are all things I want."

. . . .

"It's just the fact that a Duke degree can set you up for so many things in the future," he said. "Football only lasts so long. Even if you make it to the NFL, the average career is only four or five years. When you get out when you’re 27 or 28, what are you going to do with the rest of your life? You still have to get through your thirties, forties and fifties, and the rest of it. What am I going do with that? How am I going to support my family? What kind of person will I be after the football deal? I felt like a Duke education could get me where I want to go.

"It could help me be successful in the real world, while still keeping the same moral values that I have on the inside with how I raised. With Coach Cutcliffe, the stuff he tells me — that's the same kind of stuff that I've grown up hearing. It's his values and leadership. To me, it's the men you fight beside. And definitely the team there (at Duke) is something that I want to be part of. It's what I am looking for."
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

Duke Football's Brand - Smart Football

This is a great quick read stemming from a larger SI article about college football branding (embedded), that highlights how Coach Cut & Co have changed the Duke Football Brand, and the types of recruits that has lead to out on the trail

http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Dukes...tball-38035768

Duke's brand is "smart football led by the guy who coached the Manning brothers." Andy Staples says that "Blue Devils coach David Cutcliffe has found his bliss in Durham, where he isn’t going to be expected to deliver double-digit wins every season."

Fortunately for Duke fans over the last two years, he's nearly done just that. Over the last two seasons,only Florida State and Clemson have posted better records than the Blue Devils among ACC teams.

1. Florida State ........................ 27-1
    2. Clemson ........................ ... 21-5
    3. Duke..................... ........ 19-8
    4. Georgia Tech ....................... 18-9
    5. Miami ........................ ..... 15-11
    Virginia Tech ...................... 15-11

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    This is surprising and confusing. Not sure why anyone would want anything to do with UNC given the cloud over their athletic program.
    Maybe a discount on braces?

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post

Dr. Hamilton has been providing excellent orthodontic care since 1986. He received his undergraduate degree in Psychology, his dental degree and completed his residency in Orthodontics all at the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by itshoopsbabee View Post
    Dr. Hamilton ... received his undergraduate degree in Psychology, his dental degree and completed his residency in Orthodontics all at the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill.
    And never once stepped inside a classroom! The carolina way, baby!

Could this be an NCAA violation? If the doctor is a booster does that change anything?

So that's what happened. The brothers were stuck in an impossible situation. It's like that conversation from the TV show ALIAS...

Sydney Bristow: I've got nothing to lose.
    Torture Guy: That's not exactly true. You have teeth.

It's pretty clear now that UNC has evil dentist enforcers trained at their Evil Dentistry School.

I posted a note about this a few days earlier on the UNC cheats thread. I think it's important to know that we learned during the PJ Hairston/Leslie McDonald scandal that UNC dentistry was hip deep in the illegal benefits program (for instance, Fats was operating his office out of the offices of a UNC dental practice).

Is is billboard a violation?

Only if the Surratt kids received any kind of compensation (even reduced rates on dental work). If there is a problem it would impact their amateur status. The penalty would depend on how much compensation was involved -- the NCAA has a sliding scale of penalties, based on the amount of the illegal gift (which would have to be paid back, no matter how much the amount).

In this case, we have no idea whether the billboard represents anything wrong ... it's just doesn't look very good for a school that has had so many NCAA problems in the last five years.

DE Zach Gilbert Update - Cousin of Duke Commit CB Mark Gilbert

Outside of Prince Sammons, I'm unsure of who Duke is pursuing for the DE position. However, it appears the Blue Devils are in the Top 5 for Zach Gilbert AND he has an interesting connection to the program.

“My cousin, Mark (Gilbert), who I’m really close with, just committed there. I really like the academics and what they’re are doing with the program. I think I could get a really good business degree, which would look good on my resume after college. And at the same time, I could play for an up and coming program.”
    http://www.scout.com/college/footbal...es-top-5?s=167

Quote Originally Posted by duke blue brewcrew View Post
    Outside of Prince Sammons, I'm unsure of who Duke is pursuing for the DE position. However, it appears the Blue Devils are in the Top 5 for Zach Gilbert AND he has an interesting connection to the program.

http://www.scout.com/college/footbal...es-top-5?s=167

Zach Gilbert's father was a standout NFL defensive tackle, one cousin is Darrelle Revis, two other cousins currently play D1 football, and yet another cousin signed to play for Duke next year? I have to think their family pick up games would have been played at a high level.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Zach Gilbert's father was a standout NFL defensive tackle, one cousin is Darrelle Revis, two other cousins currently play D1 football, and yet another cousin signed to play for Duke next year? I have to think their family pick up games would have been played at a high level.
    Another common factor there is the old family hometown of Aliquippa, PA.

Aliquippa - NFL Football Players From Aliquippa PA

In the NFL, there are currently three players from Aliquippa Pa. Darrelle Revis of the New York Jets, Jonathan Baldwin of the Kansas City Chiefs, and Tommie Campbell of the Tennessee Titans, all from Quip.

That is simply amazing to have three NFL players come from the same desolate city, but that’s not even the beginning. The list of NFL players from Aliquippa is long and includes some of the greatest. Mike Ditka, Tony Dorsett, Sean Gilbert, Ty Law, Carmine DePascal, Anthony Dorsett Jr., Charles Fisher, Josh Lay, Curt Singer, and Willie Walker all grew up in the tough streets of Aliquippa. Frank Gnup, who played in the Canadian league, also grew up in Aliquippa.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Another common factor there is the old family hometown of Aliquippa, PA.

Aliquippa - NFL Football Players From Aliquippa PA
    Which is about 10 miles away from Beaver Falls, home of Joe Willie Namath

Jimbo Covert is from Conway, between Aliquippa and Beaver Falls

He was a bouncer where I worked as a bartender during law school. Strongest human I have ever met. Used to hand full kegs of beer over the bar with one hand. He played on the same offensive line at Pitt with Mark May and Russ Grimm. Picked #6 in 1st round by Bears and started at left tackle for 8 years.

Wonder if anyone has mentioned to him that Fuqua doesn't award undergraduate degrees...

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Berg View Post
    Wonder if anyone has mentioned to him that Fuqua doesn't award undergraduate degrees...
    Yes, but please note that Duke does offer certificates, which are the equivalent of a minor, in these subjects:

Innovation & Entrepreneurship The undergraduate certificate in Innovation and Entrepreneurship (I&E) is designed to provide students with a pathway to pursue a rigorous cross-disciplinary study of innovation and entrepreneurship that will be complementary to any major and will enable students to be innovative and entrepreneurial in their of pursuit of knowledge in service to society. The certificate requires an in-depth course of study examining the theories of innovation and entrepreneurship, coupled with hands-on practice in both areas. Innovation and entrepreneurship are, by their very nature, areas of cross-disciplinary inquiry, so the certificate will draw on theory, contexts, and methods from across the disciplines.

Markets & Management The Markets & Management Certificate draws on knowledge from a variety of disciplines including sociology, economics, political science, history, and business. Each course in the program deals in some way with the impact of different organizational forms on managing human resources, coordinating work, integrating technology, and using business networks in an increasingly competitive global economy.
    In addition, there is a minor in finance within economics.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

2016 Facilities Update...

It would appear that fan support is growing for Duke Football which is exciting to see! All of the suites in the new tower have been sold out. One of the things I have harped on for a few years now, is attendance for football games. I would love to see it get even better, like Cameron Indoor only outdoors kind of better. It appears the alumni are doing their part. As the football team improves, so does attendance. Slowly but surely, things have started to head in the right direction on all fronts for the program. I am very happy to see it.

Duke has sold out all 21 of its suites, but a limited number of club and indoor and outdoor table top seats are still available for purchase.
    http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Duke-...uites-38121730

The 4 star son of a former Southern Cal star committed to the Trojans. The best part of the article:

USC beat out Arizona State, Duke, Michigan, Notre Dame, Oregon, Utah, Wisconsin, and others to secure the legacy commitment.

http://collegespun.com/pac-12/usc/usc-football-4-star-db-c-j-pollard-son-of-marvin-pollard-commits-to-trojans-at-the-opening