Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post

I'm love the enthusiasm, but best recruit ever?

... Best recruit ever? Probably Ace Parker, based on his legendary high school career (just a few years ago, he was still honored as the greatest high school athlete in Virginia history -- ahead of Michael Vick, Ron Curry and Allen Iverson).

I also remember Bear Bryant going nuts to get Steve Jones in the late 1960s. And both Woody Hayes and Joe Paterno were hot to land Mike Dunn.
    And let's not leave out Jay Wilkinson, '64, though I'm not certain there were rankings in the late '50s like there are today. He was originally recruited as a QB, but served as both a running back and as a wideout/swing end. His punt returning was outstanding as well. Super good athlete and beloved by his near-rabid fans. His position switching limited his college honors, which were substantial. But, as a recruit, he was extremely well regarded.

Ace Parker > King Rice > Queen Latifah > Jack Sparrow.

Did life really exist before Al Gore invented the internet?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Ace Parker > King Rice > Queen Latifah > Jack Sparrow.

Did life really exist before Al Gore invented the internet?
    Kevin Bacon has to factor in here somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    He's never far away.

Kevin Bacon appeared on the PBS show "Finding Your Roots" with Henry Louis Gates in 2011.

Henry Louis Gates taught at Duke University from 1989 to 1991.

Kevin Bacon > King Rice too. But that's just because, as we all remember -- King Rice sucks.

Looks pretty good

The posted video of Bracey is crazy! Seems like a man among boys... And he was just a soph in the footage? Pretty impressive looking to me.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Ace Parker > King Rice > Queen Latifah > Jack Sparrow ...
    Jack Sparrow > Tenspeed and Brown Shoe

"Best recruit in Duke history."

Isn't hyperbole the greatest thing ever?

Seriously. Steve Jones was considered the best running back in the country. Duke recruited him away from Alabama and Penn State among others.

Mike Dunn and Carl McGee were much more highly regarded than this kid. Ben Bennett? Clarkston Hines? Jay Wilkinson?

I could go on.

Bracey is a big-time prospect and a major catch for Cut. But let's not go into la-la land on this.
    Ah, funny how so many of the "best" recruits in the country back then were white kids. Like Dick DeVenzio in hoops...as good
    as Steve Jones was, he was clearly not the best running back in the country then. (But I quibble not with the assertion that "best recruit ever"
    is hyperbole).

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Ah, funny how so many of the "best" recruits in the country back then were white kids. Like Dick DeVenzio in hoops...as good
    as Steve Jones was, he was clearly not the best running back in the country then. (But I quibble not with the assertion that "best recruit ever"
    is hyperbole).
    Steve Jones was pretty darn good. The best Duke running back in my lifetime.

But Mike Dunn and Carl McGee were only a few years after Jones and neither of them met the over-rated white guy standard. But I'm not sure either was as good at Duke as was Jones.

But Mike Dunn and Carl McGee were only a few years after Jones and neither of them met the over-rated white guy standard. But I'm not sure either was as good at Duke as was Jones.
    Jones was absolutely terrific, no doubt about that. My only point was that back then, way, way pre-internet, scouting and evaluating was
    extremely modest compared to today...many, many more camps, competitive events (in hoops especially) these days, so it's much easier to have a reasonable ranking
    of players.

Apropos to today: we sure could use a top running back in this class, and Mr. Hines would surely fit the bill nicely.

When I was at Duke, Steve Jones was a great back, but also the punter. I remember once, playing Maryland I think, when the ball was long snapped to Steve to punt, and about the time he caught it, the entire Maryland defense turned around and headed backwards, presumably to set up a return. Steve almost fell down mid-punt, trying not to kick the damn ball, and then headed unscathed about forty yards until he ran into about 21 players in the same part of the field. It was hilarious.

(Steve, if you read this, would you please describe what happened accurately.)

Jones had a very nice career with the Cardinals of NFL fame as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Gen View Post
    When I was at Duke, Steve Jones was a great back, but also the punter. I remember once, playing Maryland I think, when the ball was long snapped to Steve to punt, and about the time he caught it, the entire Maryland defense turned around and headed backwards, presumably to set up a return. Steve almost fell down mid-punt, trying not to kick the damn ball, and then headed unscathed about forty yards until he ran into about 21 players in the same part of the field. It was hilarious.

(Steve, if you read this, would you please describe what happened accurately.)
    I'm not Steve, but remember the play also. It was against the woeful Cavaliers. Your description is accurate - and very heads up on Jones' part.

Jones was a helluva punter. I was at the Washington game in Seattle in 1972 when he unleashed the longest punt in Duke history. Wish I could remember how far it was--(80+ ?) But it stunned the Huskies (and everyone else).

Brandon McIlwain, the number 6 dual QB for 2016, just cut his list to 6 and we're on it. Nice to be competing with Auburn and Florida for kids.

http://pennstate.247sports.com/Bolt/...o-six-30258757

http://247sports.com/Player/Brandon-McIlwain-26716

Pinecrest HS (Southern Pines, NC) offensive lineman Sean Pollard (6'5" 300) will announce his college choice tonight at 7 pm. He has offers from Clemson, Duke, East Carolina, Miami, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Penn State, South Carolina and Wake Forest.

Per Twitter:

Sean Pollard @spollard76 · 3h

Will be committing at 7:00pm @RivalsFriedman
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Pinecrest HS (Southern Pines, NC) offensive lineman Sean Pollard (6'5" 300) will announce his college choice tonight at 7 pm. He has offers from Clemson, Duke, East Carolina, Miami, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Penn State, South Carolina and Wake Forest.

Per Twitter:
    Has visited Duke several times, including last weekend, with his family.

Rivals has him as a four-star, scout as a 3-star.

Pollard has decided to push his decision to next year:

Sean Pollard ‏@spollard76 · 40m
    I'm pushing back my commitment until next year date not set @RivalsFriedman
    That was a quick change.
    Bob Green

2016 RB Elijah Deveaux (Charlotte Christian) announced his Top 5 a few minutes ago: Duke, GT, NCSU, Pitt and WF. Deveaux (6'1" 205) is a 4-Star recruit on ESPN.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    2016 RB Elijah Deveaux (Charlotte Christian) announced his Top 5 a few minutes ago: Duke, GT, NCSU, Pitt and WF. Deveaux (6'1" 205) is a 4-Star recruit on ESPN.
    3 of 5 predictions on 247 put him as eventually announcing for Duke. For what that's worth at this point...