Thomas Berger, author of Little Big Man, dead at 89

Just saw that Thomas Berger passed away. I won't say he was one of my favorite authors but he was author of one of my favorite books - Little Big Man. The movie is awesome too. Certainly, my favorite Dustin Hoffman/Faye Dunaway movie.

If you haven't read the book though, you should if you want a laugh out loud story. I've read it 2 or 3 times and laugh every time.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/22/bo...t-89.html?_r=0
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Little Big Man. The movie is awesome too. Certainly, my favorite Dustin Hoffman/Faye Dunaway movie.
    Ummm, the list of favorite Hoffman/Dunaway films is a short one. Little Big Man is the only movie in which they both played a large role. They both were in 1999's The Messenger, but in smaller roles. I am not sure they were even on screen at the same time.

Now, it is possible you are saying Little Big Man is your favorite movie in which either Hoffman or Dunaway appear. Though that would mean you like it more than: Chinatown, Network, Bonnie and Clyde, The Three Musketeeers (the 1973 version with Oliver Reed, Raquel Welch, Richard Chamberlain), Mommie Dearest, Tootsie, Kramer vs. Kramer, Rain Man, Marathon Man, All the President's Men, Papillon, Midnight Cowboy, and The Graduate.

-Jason "you are certainly entitled to your opinion -- but Hoffman and Dunaway have some darn impressive credits to their names" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Ummm, the list of favorite Hoffman/Dunaway films is a short one. Little Big Man is the only movie in which they both played a large role. They both were in 1999's The Messenger, but in smaller roles. I am not sure they were even on screen at the same time.

Now, it is possible you are saying Little Big Man is your favorite movie in which either Hoffman or Dunaway appear. Though that would mean you like it more than: Chinatown, Network, Bonnie and Clyde, The Three Musketeeers (the 1973 version with Oliver Reed, Raquel Welch, Richard Chamberlain), Mommie Dearest, Tootsie, Kramer vs. Kramer, Rain Man, Marathon Man, All the President's Men, Papillon, Midnight Cowboy, and The Graduate.

-Jason "you are certainly entitled to your opinion -- but Hoffman and Dunaway have some darn impressive credits to their names" Evans
    I would put Little Big Man at #2, just behind Chinatown for Dunaway. #3 might be B&C, then Network down the list.

I would put Little Big Man #1 for Hoffman, then Papillion, Rain Man, Marathon Man, ATPM - as far as my favorites.
    ~rthomas

i thought LBM was awesome….
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    i thought LBM was awesome….
    I'm not as big a fan ... I thought the best thing about the movie -- by far -- was the performance of Chief Dan George as old Lodge Skins.

Not especially impressed with Dunaway in the film and while Hoffman's role was one of those calculated to win awards (with the frequent changes in age and the ridiculous old man makeup), it's hardly in a class with Midnight Cowboy, Tootsie or Rain Man (three more flashy roles) ... but he was more natural -- and in my mind better -- in Kramer vs. Kramer. Straw Dogs and All The President's Men. But in my mind, his best role was Lenny, followed closely by his breakout role -- Ben Braddock in The Graduate.

As for Dunaway, all I can say is wow! ... Her part in Little Big Man pales compared to her work in Bonnie and Clyde, Chinatown and Network. And check her out in the 1968 Thomas Crown Affair.