Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Twerps kicking sand on their way out

Randy Edsall, Maryland football head coach, said yesterday at a Twerp booster event that he's excited because his team is "going to a football conference," and he's "not in a basketball conference anymore."
    Funny that...Edsall's ACC record in three seasons was 6-18. What will happen in that big, bad football conference?
    For that matter, Twerp basketball wasn't especially successful of late either, with a perfectly average record of 41-41 in the past five seasons (even including 2009-10's 13-3 mark).
    Ironically, I'll likely be following the Twerps even more closely in their early B1G years than I did in recent ACC campaigns, because it will be really fun to see those degenerates get their comeuppance.

We still talk about Maryland here? Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Here is a Turtle View Post
    Do we not talk about UConn? Or Kentucky? Or the various conference shifts of recent years? This is more relevant than all of those, because it involves a thoroughly mediocre coach taking sad, lame parting shots at our conference, which beat him like a drum throughout his tenure. Yeah, we're gonna keep talking about Maryland for a while as they embarrass themselves and further tarnish whatever athletic strength they had left.

I'm not lurking on any Maryland sports boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post

Ouch...that's gonna leave a mark.

Quote Originally Posted by hudlow View Post
    Ouch...that's gonna leave a mark.
    Too busy counting that truckload of money to care about a Duke fan's opinion on my alma mater honestly.

But on a serious note, if I'm suddenly not allowed to be on this board now that Maryland is not in the ACC, please say so.

Too busy counting that truckload of money to care about a Duke fan's opinion on my alma mater honestly.

But on a serious note, if I'm suddenly not allowed to be on this board now that Maryland is not in the ACC, please say so.
    Don't you have a couch to go burn or a car to overturn to celebrate the big move to a "football conference."

Look, in all seriousness, I'm in the DC area and (1) most of the MD fans I know STILL obsess about Duke and the ACC, and (2) they pretty-much acknowledge that the first years in Big-10 football are going to be REALLY ugly. The optimistic ones think that, maybe, in 5 years their "increased prestige" will enable better recruiting to the point where they can start improving on the field, and maybe then be competitive on the field against their new rivals in nearby Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisc., Michigan, ILL, etc. I still genuinely LOL whenever I hear a Terp fan predict a budding rivalry with PSU in FB. Happy Valley won't give them a second thought, and most of the Big10 fans I know are expecting the U of NJ (a.k.a. "Rutgers") to be their obvious natural rivals going forward. Time will tell.

I'll guess we'll know who that lucky school will be after their first Big-10 post-game riot in CP...

Y'all are gonna need that truckload to pay your exit fee. In fact, why don't you just make it easy and tell the truck driver to head straight to Greensboro from Rosemont. Going to College Park would just be an unnecessary detour and a waste of fuel.

(Please note that this is offered in the spirit of just a little good-natured non-rivalry ribbing. As far as I'm concerned, you're still welcome here.)
    Last edited by Tom B.; 07-19-2014 at 02:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    Don't you have a couch to go burn or a car to overturn to celebrate the big move to a "football conference."

Look, in all seriousness, I'm in the DC area and (1) most of the MD fans I know STILL obsess about Duke and the ACC, and (2) they pretty-much acknowledge that the first years in Big-10 football are going to be REALLY ugly. The optimistic ones think that, maybe, in 5 years their "increased prestige" will enable better recruiting to the point where they can start improving on the field, and maybe then be competitive on the field against their new rivals in nearby Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisc., Michigan, ILL, etc. I still genuinely LOL whenever I hear a Terp fan predict a budding rivalry with PSU in FB. Happy Valley won't give them a second thought, and most of the Big10 fans I know are expecting the U of NJ (a.k.a. "Rutgers") to be their obvious natural rivals going forward. Time will tell.

I'll guess we'll know who that lucky school will be after their first Big-10 post-game riot in CP...
    Flipping cars is what UConn does. Seriously. My cousin just graduated there and that is almost a guarantee every year with them.

But I agree with you on a couple points. Big 10 football is going to be an uphill climb. I think that we will be competitive and potentially make a bowl game this year, but I definitely don't expect a winning record in conference play for a few years. As for PSU, that is more for older fans. Younger fans and students usually are pretty cool with Penn State considering that the last time the two schools played in football was before we were born. A lot of students know a bunch of people that go there. West Virginia is usually where the venom comes out as far as students go.

As for the Duke obsession, most MD fans and students I know are over the ACC and Duke and just want to move on. We're done with the ACC. No need to keep bringing it up. Most people just talk about how bad Raycom was and that Maryland games won't be thrown on ESPN3 so often.

*And we have extra truckloads coming. But I'm kinda hoping Plank will just be a good sugar daddy and pitch in on throwing the school more money. Build that soccer stadium and whatnot...

Flipping cars is what UConn does. Seriously. My cousin just graduated there and that is almost a guarantee every year with them.

But I agree with you on a couple points. Big 10 football is going to be an uphill climb. I think that we will be competitive and potentially make a bowl game this year, but I definitely don't expect a winning record in conference play for a few years. As for PSU, that is more for older fans. Younger fans and students usually are pretty cool with Penn State considering that the last time the two schools played in football was before we were born. A lot of students know a bunch of people that go there. West Virginia is usually where the venom comes out as far as students go.

As for the Duke obsession, most MD fans and students I know are over the ACC and Duke and just want to move on. We're done with the ACC. No need to keep bringing it up. Most people just talk about how bad Raycom was and that Maryland games won't be thrown on ESPN3 so often.

*And we have extra truckloads coming. But I'm kinda hoping Plank will just be a good sugar daddy and pitch in on throwing the school more money. Build that soccer stadium and whatnot...
    Hey, I hope you stick around...I definitely want to hear what's going on in Big10 country.

Having lived in Baltimore, I can honestly say there is no way you guys are past the Duke Obsession. Not many people new I was a Duke fan, thankfully. Absolutely everyday I would overhear some sort of comment about Duke...even on airplanes between random people boarding the plane..."It was a rough season, but at least we beat Duke!" (Except it would be much more colorful and offensive).

Regardless of what you say, there will always be a hole where Duke was for your fanbase...especially when Duke wins big things in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Faison1 View Post
    Hey, I hope you stick around...I definitely want to hear what's going on in Big10 country.

Having lived in Baltimore, I can honestly say there is no way you guys are past the Duke Obsession. Not many people new I was a Duke fan, thankfully. Absolutely everyday I would overhear some sort of comment about Duke...even on airplanes between random people boarding the plane..."It was a rough season, but at least we beat Duke!" (Except it would be much more colorful and offensive).

Regardless of what you say, there will always be a hole where Duke was for your fanbase...especially when Duke wins big things in the future.
    Far be it from me to defend the actions of MaryLand, but it does seem a bit disingenuous for anyone to pretend to be shocked in this day and age that a sports decision was made for money reasons.

It would be wise to keep in mind that Maryland's money woes were self inflicted due to idiotic management. Just one horrendous mistake after another.
    Switching conferences will do nothing to improve the decision making in College Park.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    It would be wise to keep in mind that Maryland's money woes were self inflicted due to idiotic management. Just one horrendous mistake after another.
    Switching conferences will do nothing to improve the decision making in College Park.
    A lot of damage was caused by the previous AD, Debbie Yow, who is currently at NC State. Basically, when the early 2000s happened and Maryland was a top ten team in football and basketball, Yow began building on the football stadium and adding premium seating and built the Comcast Center. She was banking on the fact that the attendance would keep increasing because both teams would put a good product on the field. Then Fridgen and Williams forgot how to recruit and the results were middling at best and attendance plummeted, especially in football.

Maryland had a huge rainy day fund set up from the basketball teams success in the 90s and 2000s and used it to pay off the rising debt. Yow also rubbed a lot of boosters the wrong way, and basically slowed down athletic donations to a crawl. Once she realized how bad the situation got, Yow looked for an out which came from NC State. She took the job and left the athletic department in a ton of debt. The positive thing she did was make the Maryland non-revs more well rounded, especially in soccer where I wish that money to expand the football stadium went.

But that still does not dismiss that her decisions, however right or wrong they were at the time, is a large part of the reason that things unfolded like they did. There was talk about Maryland to the Big Ten for at least 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Faison1 View Post

Again, from a student perspective, most just want to leave the ACC and be done with it. I think the Duke obsession is overstated here. Do a lot of people still care? Of course, it's fresh. Will people care in five years? I'd argue no, especially if Maryland/Georgetown happens consistently after the B10/BEast challenge forces them to play each other.
    I've said this once before, but it is worth repeating, in ten years, most students will not know or care about this rivalry unless its in lacrosse or something, even then Hopkins wins by a mile there, just like most current students don't have a problem with Penn State.

Again, from a student perspective, most just want to leave the ACC and be done with it. I think the Duke obsession is overstated here. Do a lot of people still care? Of course, it's fresh. Will people care in five years? I'd argue no, especially if Maryland/Georgetown happens consistently after the B10/BEast challenge forces them to play each other.
    I've said this once before, but it is worth repeating, in ten years, most students will not know or care about this rivalry unless its in lacrosse or something, even then Hopkins wins by a mile there, just like most current students don't have a problem with Penn State.
    You've posted 250 times here in a little over a year. So I don't think you're a particularly good case in point for the claim that there is no Duke obsession among MD fans. Glad to have you here, enjoy your posts, but don't feign a lack of Duke obsession.

P.S. Maryland = not our rival.

The ACC will be fine without Maryland.

Maryland will be fine without the ACC.

Next play.

Then Fridgen and Williams forgot how to recruit and the results were middling at best and attendance plummeted, especially in football.
    Ralph Friedgen was 75-50 as the Maryland Head Coach. His teams went to bowl games in seven out of 10 years. He was fired at the end of a 9-4 season (2010) including a 51-20 victory over East Carolina in the Military Bowl. Maryland's four losses were @West Virginia, @Clemson, @Miami and Florida State. The team went 6-1 at home. Coach Friedgen was the ACC Coach of the Year.

Attendance may have plummeted, but it wasn't because Maryland was not winning.
    Bob Green

Back when Merlin made the decision to leave, some polling was done among Merlin and B1G fans.
    It was pretty interesting in that the majority of Merlin fans polled did not want to leave the ACC, and
    the majority of B1G area fans did not want Merlin in their conference.

One of those rare lose-lose mergers.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    I'd spork you a good one on that, but have to spread some more around before I get to you again. Excellent retort!

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Back when Merlin made the decision to leave, some polling was done among Merlin and B1G fans.
    It was pretty interesting in that the majority of Merlin fans polled did not want to leave the ACC, and
    the majority of B1G area fans did not want Merlin in their conference.

One of those rare lose-lose mergers.
    Except that your "lose-lose" completely negates the financial aspect. If UM felt their sports programs (for whatever reasons) were not financially solvent, they had an obligation to make a move. If the Big Whatever felt that adding Maryland gave them stronger east coast markets and a better TV footprint, you can see their perspective too. Ignoring the money trail and wishing that things could go back to the 8 team conference and good old rivalries is nice and all, but pretending that the reasons don't exist is just silly.

ACC fans don't like it. UM fans don't like it. Big Ten fans don't like it. But it isn't a "lose-lose."

I went to a tiny college that made lots of unpopular financial decisions while I was attending. Given the economic complications of the last ten years, it's quite likely that my small school would have gone under without the tough choices they made at the time.

I would argue that if Maryland really did have to make this move to survive, and the ACC basically traded them for Louisville, this could be a "win-win." Time will tell I suppose.

Until we have the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, I will be satisfied with not having to watch our players get abused by fans in College Park.

Well, yeah -- they won't care about the (non-)rivalry because we won't be playing each other regularly anymore. UNC and South Carolina had a pretty pitched rivalry back in the 1960s and early 1970s, especially after South Carolina hired UNC's old coach. Then South Carolina left the conference and the rivalry rapidly became an afterthought. A healthy dose of bitterness and resentment lingered on the South Carolina side for a while, but that eventually dissipated for the same reason you noted -- as a new generation of students who'd never had firsthand exposure to the rivalry passed through the school, the rivalry just became a progressively less important part of the fan base's consciousness.

Truth be told, while I think the Maryland obsession with Duke is still alive and well, I feel like its intensity level has been...well, not waning, but maybe flattening a bit lately, even before Maryland bolted for the Big Can't Count Conference. It took off in the late 1990s and early 2000s, when Maryland started to become really good, but still...just....couldn't...beat...Duke (at least, not when it counted). Things really went nuclear on the Maryland side in 2001, after the Gone in 60 Seconds game and Duke's huge comeback win over Maryland at the Final Four. I really thought that Maryland winning the national title in 2002 would finally extinguish the inferiority/persecution complex that permeated its fanbase, but it didn't. It stayed at fever pitch for a few more years -- but ultimately, as with all things, generational migration took over.

The kids who are students at Maryland right now were in grade school or younger in the late 1990s and early 2000s, so those years and events probably didn't leave as big an imprint. Rather than knowing Maryland as a great, championship-caliber team for several years running, the Maryland team that's existed for most of their lives is a mediocre-to-OK program that sometimes makes the NCAA Tournament, but hasn't made any real noise there in a while (the last time Maryland made the Sweet 16 was eleven years ago!). The new generation isn't going to care as much about stoking the old grudges and rivalries if all they've ever really known the team to be is a rather average product.
    Last edited by Tom B.; 07-19-2014 at 12:42 PM.