Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mudiay possibly spending next season overseas.

There are reports that Emmanuel Mudiay will forego college and spend next season playing overseas. Mudiay, you will recall, is according to some the top guard in the high school class of 2014 (Scout has him the #2 overall player behind only Jahlil, ESPN has him at #5) who in a stunner committed to Larry Brown and SMU over Cal and Kentucky.

He appears to be catching some NCAA heat for issues related to amateurism (his academics are fine and he's already enrolled at SMU).

Emanuel Mudiay: Brandon Jennings 2.0?

Mudiay, widely agreed upon as the co-best PG in the Class of 2014, along w Duke's Tyus Jones, will not be enrolling at hometown SMU to play for Larry Brown, and instead will head overseas. Heavy rumors he had academic qualification issues. Devastating for SMU of course and will be interesting to see how it turns out for the young man.

ESPN is reporting that it's an amateurism issue, not academics:

However, the source said that the athletic 6-foot-5 point guard, who was considered a one-and-done possibility and was ranked No. 5 in the nation by ESPN, is concerned about amateurism issues and not academics or financial stability. The school has accepted Mudiay academically.

"The NCAA is on him," the source said. "And he's worried."
    http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...eaded-overseas

It wont be devastating for SMU as they still have their starting PG from last year on the team. Their PG is pretty under rated (his height has somethings to do with it). Dont get me wrong they will be less talented for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by crote View Post
    "The NCAA is on him," the source said. "And he's worried."[/url]
    Well, he clearly just chose the wrong school. Had he gone to UNC, the NCAA would be falling all over themselves to stay away.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain_Devil_91_92_01_10 View Post
    Well, he clearly just chose the wrong school. Had he gone to UNC, the NCAA would be falling all over themselves to stay away.
    If some non-athletes also have been getting paid for stuff they did in HS, it's not an athletics issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    If some non-athletes also have been getting paid for stuff they did in HS, it's not an athletics issue.
    Perhaps Roy could recruit athletes that are already ineligible - that way they can't lose eligibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain_Devil_91_92_01_10 View Post
    Perhaps Roy could recruit athletes that are already ineligible - that way they can't lose eligibility.
    For all we know, Roy is recruiting him now. While the NCAA is on campus, Roy could swing by and ask for a waiver regarding the transfer year. After all, Chapel Hill is closer than Dallas to his uncle.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    There are reports that Emmanuel Mudiay will forego college and spend next season playing overseas. Mudiay, you will recall, is according to some the top guard in the high school class of 2014 (Scout has him the #2 overall player behind only Jahlil, ESPN has him at #5) who in a stunner committed to Larry Brown and SMU over Cal and Kentucky.

He appears to be catching some NCAA heat for issues related to amateurism (his academics are fine and he's already enrolled at SMU).
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Mudiay, widely agreed upon as the co-best PG in the Class of 2014, along w Duke's Tyus Jones, will not be enrolling at hometown SMU to play for Larry Brown, and instead will head overseas. Heavy rumors he had academic qualification issues. Devastating for SMU of course and will be interesting to see how it turns out for the young man.
    ESPN is reporting that it's an amateurism issue, not academics:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...eaded-overseas
    Thanks to Crote for settling that disagreement above with a link. I would not want the young man's academics called into question when they were fine. Sounds like just an amateur issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    Dude, this is like the funniest post I have read all year! I tried to give you trident points, but system said to share the love. That however, was a really fantastic comeback! Very nicely done sir!

Somebody give Hendo some positive comment points. He earned them with that line.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Thanks to Crote for settling that disagreement above with a link. I would not want the young man's academics called into question when they were fine.
    Maybe they were fine and it was some other kind of amateurism issue. But the fact that SMU accepted him is not really evidence that his academics were clean. Eric Bledsoe got accepted at Kentucky, remember, and his "academics" in high school were a total fraud. Mudiay spent the last couple years at Prime Prep in Dallas, which has the reputation as a real diploma mill. Doesn't mean Mudiay's academics were substandard, but it's a shady place.

Mudiay, you will recall, is according to some the top guard in the high school class of 2014 (Scout has him the #2 overall player behind only Jahlil, ESPN has him at #5) who in a stunner committed to Larry Brown and SMU over Cal and Kentucky.
    Wow. John Calipari has become so slick that he can avoid NCAA trouble by not getting a recruit.

Given the amount of money and deception/lying that is part of college basketball and football, it's surprising to me that situations like this aren't more common. And I get lulled to sleep.

But then the details emerge: Deion Sanders [!] starts a school for athletes! Under Armour sponsors the teams! Under Armour helping Mudiay transition into pro basketball! The NCAA hasn't completed its eligibility assessment on a top 5 recruit as of July!
    Roy Williams!

Ugh...

The State of Texas is moving to revoke Prime Prep's charter, which would force its closure. The article discusses a number of problems that exist, though it must be said none of them appear directly tied to academics, which as this and other articles note, has been a significant concern in the recent past. Place sounds like a real mess.

Heres the link: http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspor...osure/related/

For folks still following this situation, Gary Parish at CBS Sportsline has a nice article on Prime Prep and why Mudiay had almost no chance of playing college ball this season.

Do you want to guess how many times the NCAA has reviewed coursework completed at Prime Prep and allowed it to count toward a prospective student-athlete's transcript?

Zero, according to a source.

Z.E.R.O.

So, to get through the Eligibility Center and play Division I basketball this season at SMU, the bottom line is that Emmanuel Mudiay would've needed the NCAA to do something it's literally never done, i.e., count courses from Prime Prep.
    -Jason "seems like Larry Brown should have known about this -- perhaps he did and he took Mudiay anyway because he knew it would make a splash whether the kid was eligible or not" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    For folks still following this situation, Gary Parish at CBS Sportsline has a nice article on Prime Prep and why Mudiay had almost no chance of playing college ball this season.

-Jason "seems like Larry Brown should have known about this -- perhaps he did and he took Mudiay anyway because he knew it would make a splash whether the kid was eligible or not" Evans

I know this is really a Blemish for Larry Brown, but I love the fact that Calipari and Kentucky were recruiting Mudaiy hard and we're pissed when they missed on him. Again, the whole no/low/Cheating standards and links to Kentucky.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Which is why I made the point earlier in this thread that the fact that SMU accepted Mudiay tells us nothing about his academics in high school, in particular at a diploma mill like Prime Prep. As Parish noted, SMU could accept an 11 year-old, but that doesn't mean he's completed the necessary (and legitimate) high school coursework to be eligible to play college basketball.

Prime has a couple of other high-major prospects, and also had a top-10 or top-15 guy in Elijah Thomas, who spent I think just one year there before transferring out again. I wouldn't be surprised if the academic situation at Prime was a reason why Duke backed off its recruitment last year of the talented PF. In any event, it'll be interesting to see what happens with the remaining couple of guys from Prime, as well as Thomas -- will they receive any credits toward college eligibility with the clearinghouse for the year(s) they spent at Prime? Doesn't sound like a good bet.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Given the amount of money and deception/lying that is part of college basketball and football, it's surprising to me that situations like this aren't more common. And I get lulled to sleep.

But then the details emerge: Deion Sanders [!] starts a school for athletes! Under Armour sponsors the teams! Under Armour helping Mudiay transition into pro basketball! The NCAA hasn't completed its eligibility assessment on a top 5 recruit as of July!
    Roy Williams!

Ugh...
    This isn't the first instance of this. Last fall, the NCAA barred college recruiters from Findlay Prep (Las Vegas -- Kelly Oubre et al.) and Huntington Prep (W.V. -- Wiggins et al.) because the two schools weren't legit academic schools (my words, not the NCAA's). Linky.

Findlay Prep is a lot like Prime Prep. It was started recently (2006) by a rich former sports figure (Findlay played at UNLV and endowed the school with his car dealership money). In an odd coincidence, Ed O'Bannon is a long-time sales manager at one of Findlay's auto dealerships very near Findlay prep. Or maybe it's not such a coincidence. Old man Findlay is a basketball fan.

Reports are breaking this morning that he will play in China for Guangdong.

One of the things people in this country have to understand is that Brandon Jennings was considered a complete flop from a European perspective. The elite teams there are no longer throwing large amounts of money at players who have yet to prove themselves on that continent. That is why you see a team like Panathinaikos signing a DeMarcus Nelson instead of wasting time trying to develop a prospect like Mudiay.

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post

One of the things people in this country have to understand is that Brandon Jennings was considered a complete flop from a European perspective. The elite teams there are no longer throwing large amounts of money at players who have yet to prove themselves on that continent. That is why you see a team like Panathinaikos signing a DeMarcus Nelson instead of wasting time trying to develop a prospect like Mudiay.
    Guangdong has terrific food. I hope he embraces the food and culture instead of trying to find the closest McDonald's (though even the McDonald's food tastes better there).

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post

Good thing he aced all his Mandarin classes at Prime Prep . . .