Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sean Kelly (Ryan's brother) named to the roster - Congrats!

Sean Kelly, younger brother of Ryan Kelly and former Duke manager, has been named to the team as a walk-on for his senior year, according to The Chronicle. Major accomplishment - congratulations to him and welcome to the team!

https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...ketball-roster

Update: Here's a link to the roster on GoDuke:
    http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.db...45&SPSID=22727
    Last edited by Bluedog; 07-02-2014 at 10:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Sean Kelly, younger brother of Ryan Kelly and former Duke manager, has been named to the team as a walk-on for his senior year, according to The Chronicle. Major accomplishment - congratulations to him and welcome to the team!

Congratulations, Sean! I am sure that a lot of hard work has gone to this point.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Really awesome news! Thanks for sharing Bluedog. A great reward for a family member of a former Duke great. This is yet another thing I love about K. This is something young Kelly can savor for the rest of his life. Can't put a price on it really.

Welcome to the team Sean! Can't wait to see you going through warmups each game with your teammates, and see you get those rare moments on the floor in a real game. Cherish those times buddy. Those are special moments no one will ever be able to take away from you.

He's 8 inches shorter than his brother. Today's lesson in ornithology...

There are some families of birds that are referred to by colour. The black birds are no exception. There are a number of bird types that fit into this category. From the large ravens and crows to the medium size grackles and into the smaller birds, such as blackbirds, cowbirds, and starlings.
    The White Starling?

way to go!!!!!!
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

looks like Semi has changed his number from 20 to 30.

I proclaim Sean the new Crazie Favorite Player!
    Very cool.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by markbdevil View Post
    looks like Semi has changed his number from 20 to 30.
    50% improvement in a single season is nothing to sneeze at.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post

The White Starling?
    Seems redundant.

New-Clarice-Starling-TV-Series.jpg

Would that make Coach K Hannibal?

The White Starling?
    Couldn't spork you, better than what I had in mind, the albino crow.

The White Starling?
    Uhh, well... Crows and Ravens are Corvids, including magpies and jays. Maybe, the White Magpie?

Most North American "blackbirds" are Icterids, in the same family as the Orioles.

A Starling is a Sturnid, something else again and not native to the New World.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Glad he got a jersey, that's big time
    Last edited by Dukehky; 07-04-2014 at 03:35 PM. Reason: changed it because what I said would have started a whole big thing.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Interesting to see two 7-footers on the roster

Neither is really 7 feet with shoes off

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    I believe Okafor is 6'10" perhaps 6'10 1/2", while Marshall is 6'11+" in stocking feet.

I wonder when the kids start working out and whether the new rules allow any coaching input earlier than last year. Does anyone have a handle on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    I believe Okafor is 6'10" perhaps 6'10 1/2", while Marshall is 6'11+" in stocking feet.

I wonder when the kids start working out and whether the new rules allow any coaching input earlier than last year. Does anyone have a handle on that?
    We've probably had this discussion before, but since basketball is played with sneakers on, I'm okay with the higher meaurement. Seems to me that the shoes-on reading is used more often in rosters, draft talk, etc.

At any rate, I like the size in the middle that this team will present; that can be a big plus for the defense.

I believe Okafor is 6'10" perhaps 6'10 1/2", while Marshall is 6'11+" in stocking feet. ...
    Just an indication of good coaching; coaching them "up" - so to speak

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    We've probably had this discussion before, but since basketball is played with sneakers on, I'm okay with the higher meaurement. Seems to me that the shoes-on reading is used more often in rosters, draft talk, etc.

At any rate, I like the size in the middle that this team will present; that can be a big plus for the defense.
    You beat me to the punch Roy. Not picking on Saratoga here as lots and lots of people point that out, but i have never understood the argument. Like you say, they play the game in shoes so the only measurement i am interested in is their height in shoes. I also don't care if some kids play in sneakers that make their height taller than those in other shoes. Again, they play in shoes so just tell me how they measure in the shoes they actually wear in games. That's all that matters. Did not realize Okafor was that tall so great news. He is going to be a beast for Duke and runs the floor like a mad man. I envision lots of fast breaks where Tyus hits Jahlil with a long hit a head pass for an easy lay up/dunk before the defense can get set, stealing a page out of the unc with kendal marshall playbook. Turnabout is fair play and all that.

Really looking forward to this upcoming season. A lot of talented pieces for K and staff to mold into the new look Blue Devils with different scheme's than the past several years. Can't wait to see what the changes are, especially on defense.

Go Duke! Is it October yet?

Okafor measured 6'10.75" in shoes at Nike Hoop Summit. He must have picked up some new stilettos in Durham. Though I believe wingspan to by much more helpful and he's got plenty of that at 7'5".

Is there really an advantage of one extra inch if you already have a 7'5 wingspan?

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Is there really an advantage of one extra inch if you already have a 7'5 wingspan?
    Depends on how many inches you started with. In height I mean.