Arthur to hit NC Coast?

NOAA storm cone projections

Accuweather commentary 7/2 A.M.

Looks like a 4th of July storm event; good luck to those on the coast

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Tracking to go offshore a bit. Coming in during evening hours tomorrow (Thursday night) and leaving by sunrise. We are supposed to get decent winds, not much rain, and the weekend should be beautiful. (Which is good because I am going to be set up in Oriental at a festival selling tie dyes and I was dreading being washed out.)

I work in Morehead / Atlantic Beach, and live in New Bern. We may go home early tomorrow, but only because it will be slow, not because of the weather.
    Here's our status, not much different for Carteret, which is the county Atlantic Beach is in.
    Craven: Tropical Storm Warning, Hurricane Watch. Main storm impacts 5 pm Thursday until 5 am Friday. Peak winds 40 mph to 60 mph. Water rises along the Neuse up to 2 feet above normal around New Bern and up to 4 feet over southeastern Craven. Rainfall of 1 to 3 inches.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Looks like it will roll on up to Sandbridge, VA, too. Hatches getting battened this afternoon.

Hey CB&B are they moving the Camp Sea Gull/Seafarer kids inland?
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Looks like it will roll on up to Sandbridge, VA, too. Hatches getting battened this afternoon.

Hey CB&B are they moving the Camp Sea Gull/Seafarer kids inland?
    I'm not sure. Assuming they are not camping in tents, or on boats, they would be fine where they are. Just don't run around outside. Speaking of which, my girlfriend is going to keep me up all night doing just that. She owns an historic home, and she spends her time in hurricanes running around the yard looking french drains to unclog and leaks to plug up. I will survive, but she's gonna get killed by a branch falling off a pecan tree. For an incredibly smart woman, she can be aggravatingly stupid during storms. The good news will be that I will have an ample supply of pecan with which to fire up our grill at tailgates. (Even though I'll be in mourning over my girlfriend, I am not missing a tailgate and I will honor her memory by using the branch that killed her. RIP.)

P.S. My phone just scared the hell out of me blaring that we under a hurricane warning now. If you have a phone, don't you also listen to the radio? Grrrrrr. That warning coulda given me a heart attack; I would have been Arthur's first casualty.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Update from 5 is that there is a bit more of a westward track, so it will make landfall later tonight around Morehead, which means even in New Bern we'll be in for a long night. I left early today to put back up all the storm windows my girlfriend took down this spring. She did that because she thought they were ugly. She changed her mind at 10am this morning.
    We've had a few bands of rain, a steady wind, but nothing big. When the storms hit, conditions go south very quickly, and when they leave, they improve at the same speed. They moved the setup time for our festival back a few hours for tomorrow, but haven't canceled anything as of yet. That will depend on conditions tomorrow. (IE, trees in road, availability of power, etc.)
    The main thing is that I have stocked up on beer. I am prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Update from 5 is that there is a bit more of a westward track, so it will make landfall later tonight around Morehead, which means even in New Bern we'll be in for a long night. I left early today to put back up all the storm windows my girlfriend took down this spring. She did that because she thought they were ugly. She changed her mind at 10am this morning.
    We've had a few bands of rain, a steady wind, but nothing big. When the storms hit, conditions go south very quickly, and when they leave, they improve at the same speed. They moved the setup time for our festival back a few hours for tomorrow, but haven't canceled anything as of yet. That will depend on conditions tomorrow. (IE, trees in road, availability of power, etc.)
    We'll be heading down early AM Friday to join our daughter and son-in-law who arrived at Topsail about 2 PM today. We planned on driving tonight but my wife and daughter have forbidden travel in that direction until the storm moves out. I've got plenty of beer at home.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I've got plenty of beer at home.
    As long as you have the essentials covered . . . .

In all seriousness, best vibes for those on the coast and low-lying areas. Even a "small" storm can bring big problems.

But will open a growler for both of you, just to be simpatico and all.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I've got plenty of beer at home.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    As long as you have the essentials covered . . . .

In all seriousness, best vibes for those on the coast and low-lying areas. Even a "small" storm can bring big problems.

But will open a growler for both of you, just to be simpatico and all.
    Tidewater Virginia seems pretty safe right now, but I bought extra beer anyway, because, you know, I used to be a Boy Scout.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Tidewater Virginia seems pretty safe right now, but I bought extra beer anyway, because, you know, I used to be a Boy Scout.
    You drank beer as a Boy Scout?!?!

What troop were you in?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    This thread has helped me greatly in hurricane preparedness, as has the Ymmm, beer thread.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

... I left early today to put back up all the storm windows my girlfriend took down this spring. She did that because she thought they were ugly. She changed her mind at 10am this morning. ... The main thing is that I have stocked up on beer ...
    Whoa, things indeed are out of whack.

You have: first ugly ... then pretty ... then beer.

The usual order, of course, being: first beer ... then pretty ... then ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Whoa, things indeed are out of whack.

You have: first ugly ... then pretty ... then beer.

The usual order, of course, being: first beer ... then pretty ... then ugly.
    Are you referring to these:

41Jb7kQZVQL._UX425_.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    This thread has helped me greatly in hurricane preparedness, as has the Ymmm, beer thread.
    We actually did take the preparation seriously by making sure we had cash on hand and our cars filled with gas. Your debit/credit cards won't do any good at the gas station if there is no power, plus the pumps obviously won't work. Also had all our flashlights ready to go a and various devices charged up.
    Happily we didn't even lose power, and I slept through most of the worst part. I wanted to make sure the looters didn't get my pillow.It is going to be a beautiful day today, happy Fourth!
    I have not heard any bad news from Croaker Festival organizers, which means I'll be setting up my tent today.

setup.jpg

It rained all morning in Hampton Roads until the sun broke out about 30 minutes ago setting the stage for backyard BBQ and beer drinking this afternoon. I'm thinking the grandson and I will be tossing the baseball around as well.
    Bob Green

Damage to our property at the NC coast after Arthur:

Chairs.jpg

We will rebuild!

On a completely serious note, I hope all the residents along the east coast affected by this storm suffered as little damage as we did. We were truly fortunate and blessed.

Property damage photo is also known as the "'Ymm, Beer' Method of Leaving the Table Post-Tasting."

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Property damage photo is also known as the "'Ymm, Beer' Method of Leaving the Table Post-Tasting."
    Nah, that's this one:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4137/4...ce44fdb0_z.jpg