Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    To further D84's point, that has been the problem with this entire sordid ordeal the entire time. Same thing with the PJ Hairston charge dismissal last summer. The Chapel Hill Mafia (as me and a buddy have referred to UNC since High School) run this state, and the media. With Swofford they also run the ACC. Had this been any other school in the conference, even Duke, and especially NC State, the NCAA would have dropped the mega hammer long ago, they would be on probation in Men's & Women's Hoops, Football, and baseball, and PJ Hairston would have been kicked out of school and served jail time.

With a faithful Heel grad in every key position needed, they have every base covered to ensure everything gets swept under the rug nicely and neatly. And that my friends is the real definition of "The Carolina Way"
    Wainstein is the only one without a horse in the race, right? Except that he is being paid by UNC. Soooo...
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

It is not fraud if Dr. Nyang'oro created these courses with the implicit or explicit approval of his superiors. True or not, that would be his best defense. If I had to guess, I would lean towards true. While department heads create course schedules and lineups, in universities with which I am familiar, those schedules and lineups still have to be approved by the Dean. The dean of a university college is not a purely titular figure like the Holy Roman Emperor and has an active role in university management. A course lineup with a lot of independent study courses and courses without meeting times or places ought to have raised some red flags. Course content and satisfying major requirements also implicate accreditation issues that the entire college has to manage. There are also budget issues and duplicative courses with low enrollments invite scrutiny. At the very least, the Dean’s Office probably knew or suspected that something was fishy about these courses although not extent of it: no coursework as opposed to nominal coursework. I would suggest that the reason Dr. Nyang'oro has been so talkative is that doing so tends to exculpate him. Otherwise, his attorney would tell him to clam up. Indeed, even if the charges were false, his attorney would still likely tell him to clam up before trial unless he could support his statements to police with other evidence.

I do not buy the rationale that one of the reasons for dropping the charges is that prosecuting Dr. Nyang'oro would not be worth the effort given the likelihood of a small sentence or probation before judgment. Such a consideration would have been readily apparent at the outset. Also, given the fact that it is unlikely that kind Uncle Julius created these courses for athletes on his own initiative, but rather at the request of or through the connivance of members of the Athletic Department, the entire purpose of prosecuting him in the first place would seem to be an attempt to find a scapegoat, a purpose for which a finding of culpability to any crime would be sufficient.

To be fair to prosecutors, indicting small fish in order to pressure them into inculpating people higher up in an organization is a standard tactic. However, in the absence of any further indictments against new people, I do not see any evidence of trying to climb the ladder, rather the opposite. I doubt that prosecutors ever meant their efforts to aid UNC’s own internal investigation or that they wished to get to the bottom of the matter themselves. If they did, they would have impaneled an investigative grand jury at the outset and stated issuing subpoenas.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurber Whyte View Post
    It is not fraud if Dr. Nyang'oro created these courses with the implicit or explicit approval of his superiors. ...

... it is unlikely that kind Uncle Julius created these courses for athletes on his own initiative, but rather at the request of or through the connivance of members of the Athletic Department, ...

... I do not see any evidence of trying to climb the ladder, rather the opposite. I doubt that prosecutors ever meant their efforts to aid UNC’s own internal investigation or that they wished to get to the bottom of the matter themselves. If they did, they would have impaneled an investigative grand jury at the outset and stated issuing subpoenas.
    It is still fraud, but not fraud perpetrated against the university but BY the university. The good doctor was a co-conspirator

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    It is still fraud, but not fraud perpetrated against the university but BY the university. The good doctor was a co-conspirator
    Bingo! It is really a simple case when you look at the principals involved and the events that transpired.

2005, 2009... Strip 'em
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    They're freaking everywhere.
    #diplomamill

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    And the prosecutor was the law partner of the JUDGE'S UNCLE!

These carolina alums are crawling all over each other like a box full of hamsters

There is absolutely no semblance of impartiality here. Sigh, I guess its futile to even pretend there would or even could be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    To further D84's point, that has been the problem with this entire sordid ordeal the entire time. Same thing with the PJ Hairston charge dismissal last summer. The Chapel Hill Mafia (as me and a buddy have referred to UNC since High School) run this state, and the media. With Swofford they also run the ACC. Had this been any other school in the conference, even Duke, and especially NC State, the NCAA would have dropped the mega hammer long ago, they would be on probation in Men's & Women's Hoops, Football, and baseball, and PJ Hairston would have been kicked out of school and served jail time.

With a faithful Heel grad in every key position needed, they have every base covered to ensure everything gets swept under the rug nicely and neatly. And that my friends is the real definition of "The Carolina Way"
    Yeah, a wink, a nod, and a few words in Swahili -- the fix is in.

Not apropos to the current NCAA investigation, but...

When Josh Gordon got arrested for DWI in Raleigh, guess who was there to bond him out?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11...s-arrested-dwi

Does the name Hayden "Fats" Thomas ring any bells?

Quote Originally Posted by Merlindevildog91 View Post
    When Josh Gordon got arrested for DWI in Raleigh, guess who was there to bond him out?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11...s-arrested-dwi

Does the name Hayden "Fats" Thomas ring any bells?
    When out of town athletes get in trouble there must be some sort of Bat-Signal that is sent out for the local go to fixer to bail them out

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Duke View Post
    When out of town athletes get in trouble there must be some sort of Bat-Signal that is sent out for the local go to fixer to bail them out
    neil-hamilton-batman.jpg

Looks a little bit like ol' roy ...

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Duke View Post
    Don't fret. Mr. Wainstein has things under control.

TheJoker_01.jpg

"One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

UNC officials try to set up meeting with McCants

University of North Carolina officials have reportedly attempted to set up a meeting with former player Rashad McCants about allegations concerning academic fraud, which he made on ESPN's "Outside the Lines."

UNC associate athletics director Vincent Ille confirmed to the Charlotte Observer that text messages and a certified letter were sent to McCants, but he had yet to respond.

"I learned today of public statements you have made that indicate your knowledge of potential NCAA rule violations involving the University of North Carolina," the UNC letter to McCants said, the Observer reported. "I would like to meet with you at your earliest convenience to discuss this in greater detail."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

If McCants is not heard from for a few days after this meeting, we probably should start looking by digging under the Old Well...

UNC-CH Still in Reactive Mode

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    If McCants is not heard from for a few days after this meeting, we probably should start looking by digging under the Old Well...
    McCants first made his allegations on June 11.

On July 4, McCants gave an interview saying he hadn't been contacted by UNC-CH about his allegations.

On July 6, UNC-CH sent him messages saying they'd like to talk to him.

Never occurred to them until this weekend? Really...

I'm all for piling on the Dump on the Hump, but -- I thought that when UNC made their initial response to McCants, part of the response was that they invited him to contact UNC to discuss the matter. If so, it is a bit disingenuous to say that the university hasn't reached out to him.

I would be surprised if the first written thing to him was just a few days ago; I am sure that the legal and/or PR department would have sent something.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I'm all for piling on the Dump on the Hump, but -- I thought that when UNC made their initial response to McCants, part of the response was that they invited him to contact UNC to discuss the matter. If so, it is a bit disingenuous to say that the university hasn't reached out to him.

I would be surprised if the first written thing to him was just a few days ago; I am sure that the legal and/or PR department would have sent something.
    Might be right. Maybe someone has the UNC "reach out" link. I don't remember one, but that means nothing. Odd that UNC-CH leaked the contents of their Sunday letter without mentioning that they'd already reached out to him and were just following up/reiterating.

This is what I was thinking of:

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...k-sham-classes

In a statement to "Outside the Lines" on Thursday, UNC athletics director Bubba Cunningham said: "It is disappointing any time a student is dissatisfied with his or her experience. I welcome the opportunity to speak with Rashad McCants about returning to UNC to continue his academic career -- just as we have welcomed many former student-athletes interested in completing their degrees.

"The university hired former federal prosecutor Kenneth Wainstein in January to conduct an independent investigation into past academic and athletic irregularities. While these are the first allegations we have heard from Mr. McCants, I encourage him to speak with Mr. Wainstein. ...
    But I agree with you that Carolina should have had additional follow-up and it is hard for me to fathom that they did not in fact do so.

McCants has been told by UNC that Tessio is going to take care of security for the meeting