Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by blueduke59 View Post
    Curious that NCAA waited until now to want to take a second look. Hard for them to not ignore the heat by media along with a lawsuit they're going to lose for them to get a small (VERY small) dose of religion. IMO they'll find "minor" violations. They knew what UNC was doing years ago. This is just a "Look at us! We're relevant and we're on this!" play. They'll find minor violations and hope Roy doesn't get mad.
    You know, ever since this started, I've seen people implying (or stating) that the NCAA is afraid to take on UNC or unwilling to vacate their titles, presumably because of revenue or prestige. Given their actions (or lack thereof), that might be true, but it doesn't make any sense to me. Has everyone forgotten about 2004/2005 USC? Compared to back-to-back football championships in a massive media market, UNC is pretty small potatoes. Given it's only been 4 years since those penalties were handed down, what changed?

Quote Originally Posted by Dukeface88 View Post
    You know, ever since this started, I've seen people implying (or stating) that the NCAA is afraid to take on UNC or unwilling to vacate their titles, presumably because of revenue or prestige. Given their actions (or lack thereof), that might be true, but it doesn't make any sense to me. Has everyone forgotten about 2004/2005 USC? Compared to back-to-back football championships in a massive media market, UNC is pretty small potatoes. Given it's only been 4 years since those penalties were handed down, what changed?
    It is much easier for the NCAA to punish football schools as the NCAA makes no money off football. Basketball is all that matters to them.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2...ayers/6973767/

For good or bad ESPN is a very powerful media outlet. A UNC alum is prez. As the previous poster mentioned NCAA makes it's coin on March Madness

WRAL

Willingham claimed that, for more than two decades, these no-show classes were prevalent in the African and Afro-American Studies Department.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    If the NCAA does nothing, it won't be because UNC is a blueblood bankroller for them, it will simply be because the NCAA is intentionally inept at laying down punishments. At this point, they would have to admit they were wrong the first time, which they don't want to do. And they don't want to spoil their image any more than they want to spoil UNC's. (Or any other team's.)
    As far as UNC being immune because of the "power" they have, that is hogwash. The tournament is made up of 64 teams, at least 30 of which are consistently in it. UNC is just one of those teams. If they go away for a season, or if they lose a banner, it won't affect the NCAA's bank account one bit. People will still watch, still pay. Besides, those contracts with ESPN are filled out years in advance, nobody knows how the Heels or any other team will be looking years from now.
    Inaction is due to the need for a positive image, plain and simple. It costs far less (in both terms of money and negative exposure) for the NCAA to look the other way than it does for them to actually take the time to investigate and lay the hammer down on a member institution. The last thing they want to do is have to deal with ANY school, and UNC knows this, so they have used it (very well) to their advantage. But, unfortunately for both parties, the story is one that will not go away.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Yes they can look at transcripts, but what are they gonna find--that some basketball players took phony classes? Don't we already know that? They know a bunch of athletes and a bunch of regular students took them, and b/c it was so broad they've decided to call it an academic issue and not their domain, right? (Sorry, its been so long I actually forget exactly what they said...). So I'm just not sure what else we know just b/c McCants released his transcript. Frankly, I'd be surprised if they didn't ask for it the last time they were on campus.

I'm with Bob and OPK until the NCAA shows they have a spine or until some truly new evidence comes out.
    The only difference I see is that every player on the '05 team not named McCants that took a paper class has now lied about it publicly. If the media reports are true that at least 5 players on that team took those classes, then 4 of them signedt a false statement that they attended classes that never met. If we've learned anything about the NCAA over the years, it that they hate being lied to more than anything. This is slightly different because it was a public statement and I'd highly doubt that any of those players will speak to the NCAA, but it would still be an instance in which the statements might not matchup with transcripts, especially if Nyang'oro now spills all about exactly which clases never met to get charges dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    It is much easier for the NCAA to punish football schools as the NCAA makes no money off football. Basketball is all that matters to them.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2...ayers/6973767/
    NCAA conversations with Fedora should be a blast. He'll likely tell them to pound sand and brag about his Coastal Division championship a couple of years ago. He might even give em a T-shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Yes they can look at transcripts, but what are they gonna find--that some basketball players took phony classes? Don't we already know that? They know a bunch of athletes and a bunch of regular students took them, and b/c it was so broad they've decided to call it an academic issue and not their domain, right? (Sorry, its been so long I actually forget exactly what they said...). So I'm just not sure what else we know just b/c McCants released his transcript. Frankly, I'd be surprised if they didn't ask for it the last time they were on campus.

I'm with Bob and OPK until the NCAA shows they have a spine or until some truly new evidence comes out.
    We don't know what Nyang'oro or Crowder has said. Or whether there are other previously unhelpful people at UNC now willing to talk. James Michael McAdoo is listed as a potential witness by the complainants in the US Dept. of Educ. Office of Civil Rights investigation.

If you think about it, high profile investigations tend to bring previously-unknown witnesses out of the woodwork. If the thing is quietly and efficiently handled, people don't come forward. But when there's a big splash and others are coming forward, those closet doors start opening and people start realizing there is cover in numbers, making it safe to come out. We don't know how much of that has already happened out of the public eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    James Michael McAdoo is listed as a potential witness by the complainants in the US Dept. of Educ. Office of Civil Rights investigation.
    Not James Michael McAdoo. The other Michael McAdoo, who played football at UNC and was the center of the beginning of the scandal and who has been very outspoken about the no-show classes for some time.

I don't watch CNN anymore----like for many years---but I was just switching channels and saw that they have a bit on The Cheaters coming up in the next segment. So, if anyone is interested, tune in right now.

ricks

"The mother of all academc fraud cases"

That's what was quoted just now on CNN. Also, they updated the Willingham lawsuit, etc. They even said that 2 of UNCh's BBall championships may have to be vacated, if it has systematically been going on, as they said the investigation is going back to the 80's. Etc. etc. In addition, CNN took credit "in part" for the pressure instigating the re-opening of the NCAA investigation. "Diploma Mill for 'Student'-Athletes". "The reason they had to take paper classes was because they couldn't do the work". Really, really good.

ricks

CNN

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    I don't watch CNN anymore----like for many years---but I was just switching channels and saw that they have a bit on The Cheaters coming up in the next segment. So, if anyone is interested, tune in right now.

ricks
    I rarely watch CNN, but somehow I stumbled upon the series of shows they have been doing about the '60's. They are very, very good. It helps that I remember the stuff they are reporting on. Anyway, I recommend it. They run the shows first on Thursday nites, and have been re-running some too.

As I've been saying, the AFAM department was created in the early 90's for the benefit (possibly) of both the football and basketball programs. Who was in charge and had the power to pull it off? John Swofford, who is currently the commissioner of one of the power conferences that might break away from the NCAA. I think everybody's trying to protect the Commish.

Quote Originally Posted by ArnieMc View Post
    As I've been saying, the AFAM department was created in the early 90's for the benefit (possibly) of both the football and basketball programs.
    You may have been saying it, but you sure as hell haven't been proving it.

I seriously doubt that the AFAM department was created for anything other than legitimate purposes. Especially at a large state institution with North Carolina's demographics and history.

I took 200-level African History classes at Duke in the 1980's. And plenty about the struggle for Civil Rights in both history and poly sci classes.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I seriously doubt that the AFAM department was created for anything other than legitimate purposes. Especially at a large state institution with North Carolina's demographics and history.

I took 200-level African History classes at Duke in the 1980's. And plenty about the struggle for Civil Rights in both history and poly sci classes.
    I feel sure that the AFAM program was established as a legitimate field of study, not as the safety net for UNC athletes. But at some point, that's what it became. The question is when?

The university continues to refuse to push back the investigative envelope (to protect Dean?). That forces us to speculate.

The coincidence that basketball players began migrating to AFAM at almost the exact same moment that Professor Nyang'oro rose to power in the early 1990s is a suspicious circumstance. Proven? No ... but in the wake of UNC's refusal to get to the truth, it's the best timeline we have.

My best guess is that AFAM was established as a legitimate academic department. Then it came under control of a fan-boy, who liked to travel with the basketball team and stalk the sidelines in football. He linked with the academic advisors of the athletic department and formed a partnership to protect academically challenged athletes.

If I had to finger a starting point -- I'd guess the early 1990s, especially 1993.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I feel sure that the AFAM program was established as a legitimate field of study, not as the safety net for UNC athletes. But at some point, that's what it became. The question is when?

The university continues to refuse to push back the investigative envelope (to protect Dean?). That forces us to speculate.

The coincidence that basketball players began migrating to AFAM at almost the exact same moment that Professor Nyang'oro rose to power in the early 1990s is a suspicious circumstance. Proven? No ... but in the wake of UNC's refusal to get to the truth, it's the best timeline we have.

My best guess is that AFAM was established as a legitimate academic department. Then it came under control of a fan-boy, who liked to travel with the basketball team and stalk the sidelines in football. He linked with the academic advisors of the athletic department and formed a partnership to protect academically challenged athletes.

If I had to finger a starting point -- I'd guess the early 1990s, especially 1993.
    I agree with all of this. I have no idea about the time frame though.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post

Yes. Let's start with 1993

Honestly, I've moved on from the initial schadenfreude. As a North Carolinian, this is getting painful. As much as I enjoy pulling against the UNC athletic teams, I'm not very interested in seeing UNC suffer like this --- the folks in charge in CH have really mucked this up. (understatement?)

Quote Originally Posted by tux View Post
    Yes. Let's start with 1993

Honestly, I've moved on from the initial schadenfreude. As a North Carolinian, this is getting painful. As much as I enjoy pulling against the UNC athletic teams, I'm not very interested in seeing UNC suffer like this --- the folks in charge in CH have really mucked this up. (understatement?)
    Au contraire... I want to see the administration/leadership suffer the full public shame they deserve. And the mass of fans around here who continue to deny and deflect and make excuses deserve to have the smug just completely wiped off their faces - if that's even possible. They flat out cheated. Period. It's to a point where I am almost ashamed to call them a rival.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Au contraire... I want to see the administration/leadership suffer the full public shame they deserve. And the mass of fans around here who continue to deny and deflect and make excuses deserve to have the smug just completely wiped off their faces - if that's even possible. They flat out cheated. Period. It's to a point where I am almost ashamed to call them a rival.
    A lot of my UNC fan's "don't really care about college sports as much anymore". We all know good and well that if a scandal like this was going on at Duke, they would be ALL OVER it.