Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

UNC Athletics Scandal - NCAA to reopen investigation

On ESPN too. http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...north-carolina

Do we start a new thread? It's so hard to tell where one scandal ends and the next begins.

There has been some pretty intense media pressure on the NCAA to do something more than the nothing that was done first time around. Certainly, since they slapped the football program on the wrist with a wet noodle, there has been a good bit more information put out there.

Will the NCAA dare to poke the beast that is the Carolina basketball program? Could they possibly strip them of the national title earned with the help of a player who clearly should not have been eligible to play? I seriously doubt it, but it seems hard to imagine the NCAA won't pop Carolina in some additional way after officially reopening the investigation. I mean, can you imagine the outcry and columns if the NCAA were to come back now and say, "We looked and there was nothing wrong done here." USC would have a freaking cow if that happened!

-Jason "I wonder how much of this comes from McCants and how much comes from the Wainstein investigation -- Carolina's administration has got to be nervous right now!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    There has been some pretty intense media pressure on the NCAA to do something more than the nothing that was done first time around. Certainly, since they slapped the football program on the wrist with a wet noodle, there has been a good bit more information put out there.

Will the NCAA dare to poke the beast that is the Carolina basketball program? Could they possibly strip them of the national title earned with the help of a player who clearly should not have been eligible to play? I seriously doubt it, but it seems hard to imagine the NCAA won't pop Carolina in some additional way after officially reopening the investigation. I mean, can you imagine the outcry and columns if the NCAA were to come back now and say, "We looked and there was nothing wrong done here." USC would have a freaking cow if that happened!

-Jason "I wonder how much of this comes from McCants and how much comes from the Wainstein investigation -- Carolina's administration has got to be nervous right now!" Evans
    I mean, it depends. If a future federal judge comes out and says there's no new significant evidence of wrongdoing by the UNC athletics department, I'm not sure what would happen after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain_Devil_91_92_01_10 View Post
    Do we start a new thread? It's so hard to tell where one scandal ends and the next begins.

Oh yes, yes, yes, yes!!!! New thread, let's get busy! This is some swell news heading into a nice humid mid-Atlantic week!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

It seems to me

that the NCAA has figured out that they can not claim that a scholarship is fair exchange for participating in athletics unless the scholarship has some educational value.

Media pressure and PR forced this.

Of course, had the NCAA acted responsibly in the past no need to reopen as the Heels would have been slammed years ago.

SoCal

I think the NCAA guys just want to come out here and play some golf...

The story that will not end. This probably ruined Coach Roy's golf game today. My money is still on nothing new happening to Carolina. The NCAA will reconfirm their earlier decisions.
    Bob Green

this just in:

UNC athletics administrators are trying to escape chapel hill by any means!

Brenda Cruz and her family were flabbergasted by what they spotted as they were driving on Interstate 77 in North Carolina this weekend:
    A man was hanging on to the back of a fast-moving white sedan in the right-hand lane.
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/30/us/nor...na-man-on-car/
    April 1

What a shame for UNC-CH. I only hope that the NCAA takes a nice long time to examine things thoroughly. We wouldn't want them to make any hasty judgments. You know, the kind that would end this nightmare quickly.

I love the sound of slowly dripping water. The sound of stature torturously draining away...

Oh yes, yes, yes, yes!!!! New thread, let's get busy! This is some swell news heading into a nice humid mid-Atlantic week!

Hark! The sound of Tar Heel voices,
    Ringing clear and true,
    The N C Double A is coming,
    Sure sucks being you!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    The story that will not end. This probably ruined Coach Roy's golf game today. My money is still on nothing new happening to Carolina. The NCAA will reconfirm their earlier decisions.
    I don't think so, Bob. The NCAA has taken some powerful punches over this, and I think they can't afford to take any more. It's pretty clear that there will be something more done. A mea culpa may be in the works, and the NCAA would then be forced to take some serious action. The fourth estate including The News and Observer backed up by Pack Pride will see to that. Of course, I am disappointed that the college presidents have had virtually nothing to say about this. Aren't they the ones to whom the NCAA must answer?

Quote Originally Posted by hudlow View Post
    I think the NCAA guys just want to come out here and play some golf...
    And thus the timing, Pinehurst has been a bit crowded the last couple of weeks, tough to get multiple tee times.

How can the NCAA now conduct an investigation and find nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain_Devil_91_92_01_10 View Post
    Yes, this one. It's Scandal 2.0 now.

Curious that NCAA waited until now to want to take a second look. Hard for them to not ignore the heat by media along with a lawsuit they're going to lose for them to get a small (VERY small) dose of religion. IMO they'll find "minor" violations. They knew what UNC was doing years ago. This is just a "Look at us! We're relevant and we're on this!" play. They'll find minor violations and hope Roy doesn't get mad.

That darn shot clock

Things worked so much better for the light blue when Phil Ford could play keep-away and run the clock down.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Things worked so much better for the light blue when Phil Ford could play keep-away and run the clock down.
    That's what they've been doing. Sadly for UNC Ford isn't the qb in the four corners this time

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I guess Roy's not in the daggum tee time spirit.

the ncaa can look at the transcripts,yes?

they can interview players and have the proof right there in front of them when they do…..remember, whatever you do, don't LIE to them….
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    the ncaa can look at the transcripts,yes?

they can interview players and have the proof right there in front of them when they do…..remember, whatever you do, don't LIE to them….
    Roy basically called McCants a liar. Time to see who is right.

BTW -- watching post-match World Cup on ESPN, the scroll was all about UNC and fraud. Heh.