Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Soccer hate

OF, sure win against Portugal maybe? Think we beat Ghana. Not an overwhelming performance but a win nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Here is a Turtle View Post
    I always chalked Ann Coulter up as a troll. I'd like to believe that she does not believe all the nonsense she spews.
    This. She's playing a character designed to shock and offend. I don't know if her ultimate goal is attention, money, or both but the next time she writes something worth reading will be the first.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    [Olbermann's] diatribe Thursday night about the inanity of the US celebrating their "triumph" after finishing the opening round by choking away a sure win against Ghana, then going scoreless in a loss to Germany summed up my "soccer hate" 100 percent.

Nothing boneheaded about his criticism.
    Olbermann is wrong, and badly so. Most major international team tournaments use the pool play/knockout round format - FIBA World and junior championships, all the Olympic tournaments. Using that format means that there will be times when a team loses its last game and goes through to the next phase based on their play in earlier games. Of course those teams should be happy - they get a chance to play for a championship!

If Duke baseball found themselves losing their last game of pool play but still clinching a spot in the ACC Tournament championship game due to another team losing - entirely possible under the current format for that tournament - I would expect them to celebrate, I would celebrate, and don't lie, so would you.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Olbermann is wrong, and badly so. Most major international team tournaments use the pool play/knockout round format - FIBA World and junior championships, all the Olympic tournaments. Using that format means that there will be times when a team loses its last game and goes through to the next phase based on their play in earlier games. Of course those teams should be happy - they get a chance to play for a championship!

If Duke baseball found themselves losing their last game of pool play but still clinching a spot in the ACC Tournament championship game due to another team losing - entirely possible under the current format for that tournament - I would expect them to celebrate, I would celebrate, and don't lie, so would you.
    I agree and can't believe how foolish this line of thinking it. The easiest way to refute it is to flip the order of the pool games. In terms of pool standings, doing that would be totally irrelevant, but doing that has the US lose, tie, and then win in the final few minutes to advance. Again, in terms of the pool standings (which is all that matters for advancing), this does nothing but to the uneducated World Cup watchers, it changes their ignorant perception of what Team USA just did in the group stage.

Does a football, baseball, or basketball team that qualifies for the playoffs but loses their final regular season game get labelled as "backing into the playoffs?" So, why should a soccer team?

-Jason "D-U-M-M, that's just dumb!" Evan
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I agree and can't believe how foolish this line of thinking it. The easiest way to refute it is to flip the order of the pool games. In terms of pool standings, doing that would be totally irrelevant, but doing that has the US lose, tie, and then win in the final few minutes to advance. Again, in terms of the pool standings (which is all that matters for advancing), this does nothing but to the uneducated World Cup watchers, it changes their ignorant perception of what Team USA just did in the group stage.

Does a football, baseball, or basketball team that qualifies for the playoffs but loses their final regular season game get labelled as "backing into the playoffs?" So, why should a soccer team?

-Jason "D-U-M-M, that's just dumb!" Evan
    I like to think of it as the round robin group section of the tournament is like a tiny regular season. How many teams lose their last game and make the playoffs in the NFL, NHL, MLB, or NBA?

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    I like to think of it as the round robin group section of the tournament is like a tiny regular season. How many teams lose their last game and make the playoffs in the NFL, NHL, MLB, or NBA?
    Exactly. Backing into the layoffs is a part of every sport.

Hard to talk about Coulter's absurdity without getting into PP territory. I'm basically the opposite of Davekay1971 -- a flaming liberal who loves Coulter -- nobody brings more discredit to the conservative POV. Is there any difference between Coulter and Colbert (except that Colbert is funnier)?

I'm much more a fan of Olbermann -- and I think his riffs on the World Cup -- the lousy administration, the bizarre officiating and the sheer pointlessness of the 0-0 tie -- have IMO been right on the mark. His diatribe Thursday night about the inanity of the US celebrating their "triumph" after finishing the opening round by choking away a sure win against Ghana, then going scoreless in a loss to Germany summed up my "soccer hate" 100 percent.

Nothing boneheaded about his criticism.
    I find it humorous that a self-professed sports fan could have no qualms outwardly admitting hatred of the most popular sport in the world.

...but, sure, nothing boneheaded about that.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
    I find it humorous that a self-professed sports fan could have no qualms outwardly admitting hatred of the most popular sport in the world.

...but, sure, nothing boneheaded about that.
    So that's your definition of boneheaded? Disagreeing with the majority?

If so then all Americans who like soccer are boneheaded for enjoying it -- after all, the great majority of American sports fans couldn't care less about soccer.

As of this January, two percent of Americans rated soccer their favorite sport -- less than the same poll in 1985. Is soccer interest in America dropping?

http://www.socceramerica.com/article...te-sports.html

Besides, who said they "hated" soccer? I've watched Olbermann every night he's been on during the world cup and never heard him express that sentiment. He thinks it's ineptly run, badly officiated and boring ... but, hey, that's how a lot of people feel about baseball ... or even college basketball (which is also slipping in popularity)

I've never said I hate soccer ... only that I don't care.

My Take on the World Cup

The games are exciting. Since goals are so rare, the games are generally close. Normal sized people can be very good players. The skill level of the top players is marvelous. Some of the plays are beautiful to watch. So I generally like it, have enjoyed it, will watch when US plays if at all possible and may watch other games as well.

But there are things that I really do not like or understand. One is the flopping. Another is tremendous influence of the referee and linesman who are human. I am not the biggest fan of instant replay but if you are going to hold up the game for minutes while some player faking an injury can roll around before making a miraculous recovery, why not review the play and decide in slow motion if it was a foul or a fake. Why not use it quickly on off sides? I also wish there was a real clock and we knew exactly how much time is less, but that is less of a concern.

I have a friend who was born in Mexico but now considers himself purely American, but he still roots some for Mexico. Will see him tomorrow or Tuesday to get his take on the game today.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    The games are exciting. Since goals are so rare, the games are generally close. Normal sized people can be very good players. The skill level of the top players is marvelous. Some of the plays are beautiful to watch. So I generally like it, have enjoyed it, will watch when US plays if at all possible and may watch other games as well.
    I went to get a haircut Saturday and Brazil was playing Chile. They turned it on in Sport Clips and I had to sit through it. The goals are rare because NOONE TAKES A SHOT! The match was in overtime and the ball was in Brazil's half most of the second overtime and I counted at least 8 spots where someone could have taken a shot and instead it was dribble, dribble, dribble, pass... rinse and repeat. It's like they don't play to win. Chile would do the same thing when they would FINALLY get the ball but then they'd pass it and let Brazil steal it and back to the other end to do the same thing. I kept watching thinking "Where is the back door cut with a pass to the middle and a shot to score?".

This wasn't the round robin, it was a knock out round. They had to go to pk's. If they had taken a shot when they had ample opportunity, it might have been over before that and probably have been more exciting for the home crowd.
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

So that's your definition of boneheaded? Disagreeing with the majority?

If so then all Americans who like soccer are boneheaded for enjoying it -- after all, the great majority of American sports fans couldn't care less about soccer.

As of this January, two percent of Americans rated soccer their favorite sport -- less than the same poll in 1985. Is soccer interest in America dropping?

http://www.socceramerica.com/article...te-sports.html

Besides, who said they "hated" soccer? I've watched Olbermann every night he's been on during the world cup and never heard him express that sentiment. He thinks it's ineptly run, badly officiated and boring ... but, hey, that's how a lot of people feel about baseball ... or even college basketball (which is also slipping in popularity)

I've never said I hate soccer ... only that I don't care.
    If anything, soccer is improving in American minds at least, according to MLS attendance which seems to be breaking records every year. I know if the Seattle Sounders play the Portland Timbers, they have the potential to sell out Century Link Field just fine which is a major improvement over where the league was a few years ago. Just because only two percent rated it as their favorite sport does not mean that more people are not watching or enjoying soccer. I think as the quality of that league improves, there will be more people watching on tv and paying more attention to it.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Here is a Turtle View Post
    If anything, soccer is improving in American minds at least, according to MLS attendance which seems to be breaking records every year. I know if the Seattle Sounders play the Portland Timbers, they have the potential to sell out Century Link Field just fine which is a major improvement over where the league was a few years ago. Just because only two percent rated it as their favorite sport does not mean that more people are not watching or enjoying soccer. I think as the quality of that league improves, there will be more people watching on tv and paying more attention to it.
    I agree with the 2% quote, that is kind of a silly metric. The majority of Americans are going to list baseball, football and basketball as their favorite sports, but that does not mean they tune out tennis and golf when they show up on their TV sets.
    I also think, though, that if you asked all the Americans who take the time out of their day to watch the US play in the world cup if they watch any of the other teams, you will get a humongous majority that say no. We are watching it because we are a patriotic nation and our team is playing. When and if the US goes home, the next news story is going to be about the plummeting ratings. I'm happy that MLS is still surviving, just the same way I'm happy that the WNBA is still surviving. It doesn't necessarily show that America has much of a vested interest in either though, it simply means that each has enough of a niche to not completely fail. Soccer will always have a niche in American culture, but don't expect to see any matches regularly on prime time tv in your life time.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I agree with the 2% quote, that is kind of a silly metric. The majority of Americans are going to list baseball, football and basketball as their favorite sports, but that does not mean they tune out tennis and golf when they show up on their TV sets.
    I also think, though, that if you asked all the Americans who take the time out of their day to watch the US play in the world cup if they watch any of the other teams, you will get a humongous majority that say no. We are watching it because we are a patriotic nation and our team is playing. When and if the US goes home, the next news story is going to be about the plummeting ratings. I'm happy that MLS is still surviving, just the same way I'm happy that the WNBA is still surviving. It doesn't necessarily show that America has much of a vested interest in either though, it simply means that each has enough of a niche to not completely fail. Soccer will always have a niche in American culture, but don't expect to see any matches regularly on prime time tv in your life time.
    This is spot on, IMO.

Americans play soccer but do not watch it. The Chinese watch soccer but do not play it. It's funny how soccer cannot be a consistent force in two of the world's largest economies.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post

But there are things that I really do not like or understand. One is the flopping. Another is tremendous influence of the referee and linesman who are human. I am not the biggest fan of instant replay but if you are going to hold up the game for minutes while some player faking an injury can roll around before making a miraculous recovery, why not review the play and decide in slow motion if it was a foul or a fake. Why not use it quickly on off sides? I also wish there was a real clock and we knew exactly how much time is less, but that is less of a concern.

I have a friend who was born in Mexico but now considers himself purely American, but he still roots some for Mexico. Will see him tomorrow or Tuesday to get his take on the game today.

SoCal
    One point they made on the radio is that on the biggest field in sports, there is only one ref. The linesmen don't call fouls. Compare that to football's what, SEVEN refs? Or baseball's four (more in playoffs). Or basketball, with the smallest playing surface, with its three refs. Ice hockey has two refs and two linesmen. The guys on the radio were saying that one thing that would vastly improve the game would be to help call fouls more accurately and prevent flopping by having at least three refs. They could move like the nba refs (one in the middle, one at the endline, one near midfield, moving with the action so midfield ref becomes endline ref and endline ref moving to midfield when the ball switched sides. I thought that was a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    One point they made on the radio is that on the biggest field in sports, there is only one ref. The linesmen don't call fouls. Compare that to football's what, SEVEN refs? Or baseball's four (more in playoffs). Or basketball, with the smallest playing surface, with its three refs. Ice hockey has two refs and two linesmen. The guys on the radio were saying that one thing that would vastly improve the game would be to help call fouls more accurately and prevent flopping by having at least three refs. They could move like the nba refs (one in the middle, one at the endline, one near midfield, moving with the action so midfield ref becomes endline ref and endline ref moving to midfield when the ball switched sides. I thought that was a great idea.
    The assistant refs can signal fouls to the head ref, who then calls it. So, it's not like if the head ref doesn't see it, it's not a foul. ARs can definitely call fouls but the final determination is at the whistle of the head ref.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Timely advice column from Jason Gay: how to deal with Soccer Cranks.

Quote Originally Posted by jjasper0729 View Post
    I went to get a haircut Saturday and Brazil was playing Chile. They turned it on in Sport Clips and I had to sit through it. The goals are rare because NOONE TAKES A SHOT! The match was in overtime and the ball was in Brazil's half most of the second overtime and I counted at least 8 spots where someone could have taken a shot and instead it was dribble, dribble, dribble, pass... rinse and repeat. It's like they don't play to win. Chile would do the same thing when they would FINALLY get the ball but then they'd pass it and let Brazil steal it and back to the other end to do the same thing. I kept watching thinking "Where is the back door cut with a pass to the middle and a shot to score?".

This wasn't the round robin, it was a knock out round. They had to go to pk's. If they had taken a shot when they had ample opportunity, it might have been over before that and probably have been more exciting for the home crowd.
    I have a similar reaction watching baseball. There would be so many more hits if batters just didn't stand around watching half the pitches just fly by. Why don't they swing? I was watching a game at the bar the other day and I actually saw a guy let four pitches go by, and then he walked to the first base. How absurdly boring. Why didn't he swing at any of them?

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    I have a similar reaction watching baseball. There would be so many more hits if batters just didn't stand around watching half the pitches just fly by. Why don't they swing? I was watching a game at the bar the other day and I actually saw a guy let four pitches go by, and then he walked to the first base. How absurdly boring. Why didn't he swing at any of them?
    See. I'd rather watch baseball. That's the pitcher and batter going one on one. The thing with soccer for me is they don't even try. I have no problem with a batter taking 4 pitches. it means the pitcher didn't get one close that he liked. I also have no problem with the batter taking three pitches and striking out. You move to the next batter and see if the pitcher throws a strike. The game they had on that I was watching, one guy would dribble the ball in front of the defender then pass to the next one and the same thing would happen. I'm starting to wonder why soccer can't be more like lacrosse. It SEEMS very similar but there's more scoring or at least ATTEMPTS to score.
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    This is spot on, IMO.

Americans play soccer but do not watch it.
    How in the heck do you watch it? To the average American this has to be confusing to say the least. I know it is to me. Premier league, La Liga, Champions League, Copa Del Ray, MLS, Europa League, this cup, that cup, on and on. To the average guy like me who has only previously watched soccer in the Olympics and World Cup this is quite overwhelming to figure out. I'm used to watching one league for whatever sport I want to watch. Basketball = NBA, Baseball = MLB, Football = NFL etc.

Not to mention after doing some research I would have to up my cable subscription quite a bit each month to be able to view the matches in the first place. I'm still not sure even after researching it out exactly what I need to purchase to watch in the USA. From what I can tell Fox Sports1 and Fox Sports Soccer Plus are the two main channels that broadcast the Champions League? I'm assuming if you are getting into the sport and want to watch that this is the yearly tournament that you want to watch the most? Again, it is all so confusing to someone who is trying to learn.

If it was broadcast here more regularly I think it would definitely help. I love watching the world cup but I don't think I would give a rats butt about watching MLS. If I'm going to watch it I want to see the best...Messi, Ronaldo, Neymer etc. But like I said, it seems like you have to really want to watch this stuff to have access to it. I think as long as it stays this way only hardcore soccer fans are going to watch in the U.S. It is not conducive to attracting casual fans.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    How in the heck do you watch it? To the average American this has to be confusing to say the least. I know it is to me. Premier league, La Liga, Champions League, Copa Del Ray, MLS, Europa League, this cup, that cup, on and on. To the average guy like me who has only previously watched soccer in the Olympics and World Cup this is quite overwhelming to figure out. I'm used to watching one league for whatever sport I want to watch. Basketball = NBA, Baseball = MLB, Football = NFL etc.
    "Basketball = NBA" to someone posting on "www.dukebasetballreport.com"??

Pretend you're English. Then Soccer = EPL. That's essentially what you're doing by ignoring all the professional basketball leagues worldwide by saying "Basketball = NBA".

Think of EPL, La Liga, etc as conferences in college basketball. Then the Champions League is the NCAA tournament and Europa League is like the NIT.

How do you watch it? Pick a team to support. Doesn't matter how. Find a bar in your area that shows the games. Go, drink beer. Make friends there who'll help you understand.