Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Soccer hate

Soccer hate

I am at a real loss about what to do with this... Ann Coulter has written a misogynistic, anti-immigrant, ill-informed, and just downright mean column about why soccer sucks and will never succeed in America. She essentially calls anyone who likes soccer un-American. She pokes fun at it because women can play the sport. She laments the fact that people focus more on teams than individuals in soccer and she seems upset that there are not more fights in soccer, like in hockey (I wonder if she heard about Suarez biting incident?). The column is so over the top in its hateful screed, I almost wonder if it is a parody or joke of some sort, but there was no punchline so I think it might be real. It concludes with the following line...

If more "Americans" are watching soccer today, it's only because of the demographic switch effected by Teddy Kennedy's 1965 immigration law. I promise you: No American whose great-grandfather was born here is watching soccer. One can only hope that, in addition to learning English, these new Americans will drop their soccer fetish with time.
    That's actually one of the tamer comments in the article. It is just awful.

DBR rules require me, when quoting from an article, to provide a link to the said article. Here it is but I beg you... DO NOT CLICK ON THIS LINK!!

In fact, that is the reason I am writing this post, to make sure none of you follow her clickbait and read the column. It is very possible that, some time in the next few days, someone will mention this Coulter column or that a friend will send you the link to read it. I urge you, strongly, DO NOT READ IT! This is what she wants. She wants to generate controversy and clicks that will provide her website with stature and revenue. Please, please, please -- do not take the bait.

I feel the need to point out that, though the author of this offensive column is Ann Coulter, my objection to it have nothing to do with politics or any disagreement I might have with her over various political issues. I am certain there are plenty of conservatives who love soccer and I bet there are plenty of liberals who are not fans. The Republican Congressional Committee's Facebook page is littered with pro-Team USA World Cup messages and they posted a photo saying "I believe we will win!" that has garnered about 9000 likes so far. This has nothing to do with politics.

I also want to say that I respect the right of Coulter or anyone else to dislike soccer. She could even write a column about why she does not like it and I would be fine with that. But, the way her column makes up facts and links soccer to being unpatriotic is really offensive. It is one thing to say "I don't like soccer," it is quite something more to say, "if you do like soccer, you are a bad person."

-Jason "that is all... like I said, please do not read it!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

She should start writing for The Onion.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I am at a real loss about what to do with this... Ann Coulter has written a misogynistic, anti-immigrant, ill-informed, and just downright mean column about why soccer sucks and will never succeed in America. She essentially calls anyone who likes soccer un-American. The column is so over the top in its hateful screed, I almost wonder if it is a parody or joke of some sort, but there was no punchline so I think it might be real. It concludes with the following line...
    She's Ann Coulter. She's misogynistic, anti-immigrant, ill-informed, and just downright mean.

I'm a card-carrying Conservative (seriously, I have a President's Enemies List membership card in my wallet. Okay, it's there for humor, right behind my driver's license just to see a cop's reaction if I ever get pulled for speeding, but it's there). Ann Coulter is one of those Conservative writers/talkers/radio-heads that's just a source of embarrassment to most of us. For those of you on the other side of the political column, that's saying something, because I'm fine with people who are adamantly, aggressively conservative, who folks of a liberal/progressive bent probably find pretty darned offensive. But Coulter regularly crosses into the realm of despicable behavior and commentary, either because she's a truly nasty, mean-spirited person, or because she's one of the media types who knows that controversy leads to attention leads to $$$. I don't know nor do I care which is the case.

Her take on soccer is just another example of her brutally close-minded ignorance.

She needs to drown her hatred in Asheville craft beer

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Dude, this is so true. 90% of the worlds problems could be solved with good craft beer.

It concludes with the following line...

"If more "Americans" are watching soccer today, it's only because of the demographic switch effected by Teddy Kennedy's 1965 immigration law. I promise you: No American whose great-grandfather was born here is watching soccer. One can only hope that, in addition to learning English, these new Americans will drop their soccer fetish with time."
    If I had a time machine, I'd take Ms. Coulter back to 1890 Arkansas, introduce her to great-grandfather Cato, and ask her to repeat this. Would he tie her to a tree for a long summer day, like he did when my grandfather misbehaved? Something else?

Probably not. I assume he had manners. Yet another way Ms. Coulter can't match up with Arkansas farmers.

Also, I lied. If I had a time machine, I wouldn't waste any time with Ms. Coulter.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    Dude, this is so true. 90% of the worlds problems could be solved with good craft beer.
    Well, Homer Simpson always said beer was the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

you should have buried the link with a period, like this.

Does anyone take Coulter seriously? She makes money off outraging people, so you shouldn't be surprised she's gone out of her way to outrage people.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Had the original post not spent a short story worth of words explaining that I SHOULD NOT READ THE ARTICLE, I never would have known the article existed.
    Plus, being Ann Coulter, I would refuse to read it anyway. Reading her name alone gives me a rash.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

She's Ann Coulter. She's misogynistic, anti-immigrant, ill-informed, and just downright mean.

I'm a card-carrying Conservative (seriously, I have a President's Enemies List membership card in my wallet. Okay, it's there for humor, right behind my driver's license just to see a cop's reaction if I ever get pulled for speeding, but it's there). Ann Coulter is one of those Conservative writers/talkers/radio-heads that's just a source of embarrassment to most of us. For those of you on the other side of the political column, that's saying something, because I'm fine with people who are adamantly, aggressively conservative, who folks of a liberal/progressive bent probably find pretty darned offensive. But Coulter regularly crosses into the realm of despicable behavior and commentary, either because she's a truly nasty, mean-spirited person, or because she's one of the media types who knows that controversy leads to attention leads to $$$. I don't know nor do I care which is the case.

Her take on soccer is just another example of her brutally close-minded ignorance.
    Um, exactly what he said. I was going to post my opinion of her as a conservative, but I really couldn't put it any better than you have.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Had the original post not spent a short story worth of words explaining that I SHOULD NOT READ THE ARTICLE, I never would have known the article existed.
    I hear ya and I figured that would be the case for many folks checking out this thread. But like all things Coulter, this had the potential to hit your inbox or Twitter/Facebook feed and I wanted to both make sure folks did not click the link while also telling them at least a little about it so they would be informed. Maybe that was a bad idea. Like I said, I really did not know what to do with it once I was directed to read that wretched column.

-Jason "we should force Coulter to watch Transformers: Age of Extinction as punishment for this column... but I bet she would like it" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I always chalked Ann Coulter up as a troll. I'd like to believe that she does not believe all the nonsense she spews.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    Um, exactly what he said. I was going to post my opinion of her as a conservative, but I really couldn't put it any better than you have.
    I'm going to have to ditto Bjornolf. She's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy too out there and I'm on the right of center.

And I also am not a fan of soccer. I think it's because I had no exposure to it growing up because, ironically, I absolutely enjoy a 1-0 baseball game (baseball is and always will be tops for me, no matter what football does). Maybe it's because my brain is statistically geared and that's baseball. I watched a lot of soccer at Duke by having to keep score and it just reinforced my disdain for it. Anyway, I realize billions of people like it and they can like it all they want. Give me a pitcher's duel any day of the week.

But back to the point of the thread. She's NUTS! N-V-T-S Nuts!
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

There are some people you would be embarrassed to have on your side. She's one.

Id be happy to send her a care package

I love how all the OT threads get hijacked by us hop heads

Wrong thread, gentlemen.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

It's more helpful to think of Ann Coulter as Andy Kauffman-esque rather than...whatever other category she might fall into.

Coulter is intelligent. She graduated with honors from Cornell and from Michigan Law, and clerked for a federal judge before finding more money and less work as a character actor.

And it's in this role as Ann Coulter the public unintellectual that she has found infamy and fortune. And it will be in this role that she continues clamoring for our attention with increasingly vapid, barbed opinions meant only to draw attention to herself. She is a bully with a pulpit that we continue to give her, if for no other reason than that she has a knack for being a nuisance.

Ann Coulter is an opportunist, preying off a polarization she has stoked and from which she collects hefty paychecks. Repudiating her, and the venom she spews, is what she wants. But it's so hard to ignore that which requires repudiation. And therein lies her myopic, masturbatory genius. Such a dumb way to live.

There must be some long-lived toxins in the water in Ithaca. The same day that Coulter (Cornell '84) went off, Keith Olbermann (Cornell '79) went on an equally epic, equally bone-headed anti-football rant.

I am at a real loss about what to do with this... Ann Coulter has written a misogynistic, anti-immigrant, ill-informed, and just downright mean column about why soccer sucks and will never succeed in America. She essentially calls anyone who likes soccer un-American. She pokes fun at it because women can play the sport. She laments the fact that people focus more on teams than individuals in soccer and she seems upset that there are not more fights in soccer, like in hockey (I wonder if she heard about Suarez biting incident?). The column is so over the top in its hateful screed, I almost wonder if it is a parody or joke of some sort, but there was no punchline so I think it might be real. It concludes with the following line...

That's actually one of the tamer comments in the article. It is just awful.

DBR rules require me, when quoting from an article, to provide a link to the said article. Here it is but I beg you... DO NOT CLICK ON THIS LINK!!

In fact, that is the reason I am writing this post, to make sure none of you follow her clickbait and read the column. It is very possible that, some time in the next few days, someone will mention this Coulter column or that a friend will send you the link to read it. I urge you, strongly, DO NOT READ IT! This is what she wants. She wants to generate controversy and clicks that will provide her website with stature and revenue. Please, please, please -- do not take the bait.

I feel the need to point out that, though the author of this offensive column is Ann Coulter, my objection to it have nothing to do with politics or any disagreement I might have with her over various political issues. I am certain there are plenty of conservatives who love soccer and I bet there are plenty of liberals who are not fans. The Republican Congressional Committee's Facebook page is littered with pro-Team USA World Cup messages and they posted a photo saying "I believe we will win!" that has garnered about 9000 likes so far. This has nothing to do with politics.

I also want to say that I respect the right of Coulter or anyone else to dislike soccer. She could even write a column about why she does not like it and I would be fine with that. But, the way her column makes up facts and links soccer to being unpatriotic is really offensive. It is one thing to say "I don't like soccer," it is quite something more to say, "if you do like soccer, you are a bad person."

-Jason "that is all... like I said, please do not read it!" Evans
    For those of you who can handle a not suitable for work or decent folks laugh, go to youtube and search for Henry Rollins' Letter to Ann Coulter. Genius. But NSFW.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    There must be some long-lived toxins in the water in Ithaca. The same day that Coulter (Cornell '84) went off, Keith Olbermann (Cornell '79) went on an equally epic, equally bone-headed anti-football rant.
    Hard to talk about Coulter's absurdity without getting into PP territory. I'm basically the opposite of Davekay1971 -- a flaming liberal who loves Coulter -- nobody brings more discredit to the conservative POV. Is there any difference between Coulter and Colbert (except that Colbert is funnier)?

I'm much more a fan of Olbermann -- and I think his riffs on the World Cup -- the lousy administration, the bizarre officiating and the sheer pointlessness of the 0-0 tie -- have IMO been right on the mark. His diatribe Thursday night about the inanity of the US celebrating their "triumph" after finishing the opening round by choking away a sure win against Ghana, then going scoreless in a loss to Germany summed up my "soccer hate" 100 percent.

Nothing boneheaded about his criticism.