Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    Dre made the heat
    Fantastic news!!! Congratulations to Andre Dawkins on making an NBA roster.
    Bob Green

Congratulations, Dre!

way to go, dre!!!!!!!!
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Awesome! Congrats to Dre!

Super cool Dre! You are the cutest guy on that team by far!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

New role

Quote Originally Posted by Mabdul Doobakus View Post
    He should fill that James Jones role of being the best shooter on the team, but who can typically seen on the bench dressed in a suit because the rest of his game is deficient.
    Only 13 guys can suit up for games, so Andre will definitely start the season in street clothes. As you have noted, point guard is a weak spot for the Heat, but considering that they are starting the season with three of them (Chalmer, Cole, and Napier), one of them may be gone by December. And with the inevitable injuries, Andre could be suiting up at some point this season.

No matter what, during summer league it seemed that the Heat's D-League affiliate was a bit of a stretch for Andre, so even in street clothes he has done very well for himself.

Hurray!!!!! Really happy about this.

Makes my day plus. Congrats to Dre. Wonderful young man.

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    Andre deserves all the credit in the world, but Coach K gets the assist for having him sit out for a year. Remember how some people wondered if Andre would play again? Apparently so.

The Heat now have three Dukies and a relatively young team, so even if they are no longer championship contenders they will be interesting to watch.
    I have all the respect in the world for K, but I don't think he gets much of an assist on Andre. Rarely have I thought his handling of a player was questionable, but in this case such a conclusion was hard to escape. Immense kudos to Andre for playing his way into the NBA by a highly difficult route.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Esseintes View Post
    I have all the respect in the world for K, but I don't think he gets much of an assist on Andre. Rarely have I thought his handling of a player was questionable, but in this case such a conclusion was hard to escape. Immense kudos to Andre for playing his way into the NBA by a highly difficult route.
    Couldn't disagree more...but for a different reason. I question K's handling of players all the time, because, well...I'm an irrational fan. I also believe he was mishandled as a player. But, K and his staff overwhelming deserve credit for helping to build the man that Dre has become which has allowed him to get this far. Dre was treated with compassion, empathy and respect during his darkest of days and drawn out of a self that could have been paralyzing for him. That Dre has made an NBA team is in large part due to K...even though he didn't play him enough.

So who would have predicted a couple of years ago that Andre Dawkins would be on an NBA opening day roster and John Michael McAdoo would not? Don't all raise your hands at once.

Seriously, this is wonderful news.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    So who would have predicted a couple of years ago that Andre Dawkins would be on an NBA opening day roster and John Michael McAdoo would not? Don't all raise your hands at once.

Seriously, this is wonderful news.
    All that may be true, but Wojo never could develop big men?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    All that may be true, but Wojo never could develop big men?
    Um, yeah. It may take Henry Ellenson to dispel that notion once and for all.

Well Deserved! Many Happy Endings

Can't make the Duke starting lineup but plays in the NBA? Holy Swen Nader!!!
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Des Esseintes View Post
    Can't spork you, but couldn't agree with this more.

I just couldn't be happier for him. Great kid. Good things DO happen to good people, see??!!

Here's hoping he sticks there for a long, long time.

Congrats. I confess I thought he would need a stint in the NBDL first.

And I'm still trying to wrap my arms around the concept that Andre Dawkins is an NBA player and Nolan Smith isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Congrats. I confess I thought he would need a stint in the NBDL first.

And I'm still trying to wrap my arms around the concept that Andre Dawkins is an NBA player and Nolan Smith isn't.
    I must ask - how did you ever move on from trying to wrap your arms around the concept that Martin Nessley played in the NBA but Tommy Amaker did not? [I'm still flummoxed]

Congrats, Andre!

Congratulations Andre!

I thought a natural fit for Dre in the NBA would be a team with strong point guard play and smart team defense, where he could play a role like Danny Green does for the Spurs (if Dre can hold up his end on defense), such as San Antonio or Chicago with a healthy Rose. It'll be interesting to see what kind of team identity Miami develops this year.