Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Nice to see

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Dre with 16 tonight on only 8 shots.
    http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400583994
    The Spurs were playing a lot of the B team because of injuries, but Andre did well.

At this point he will either make the team or will be one of the four Heat players who will be sent to the Sioux Falls Skyforce in the D-League, but I think he has made a very positive impression. Needless to say, I hope he stays in South Beach with an NBA contract, but no matter what it's good to see Andre bounce back. The fifth year obviously helped a lot.

Dre with 16 tonight on only 8 shots.
    http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400583994
    Worth noting that one of Dre's main competitors for the last spot on the Heat, SG Tyler Johnson, scored 17 points in the game. Johnson scored his 17 in 36 minutes and needed 13 shots to get there while Dre only played 27 minutes and took just 8 shots. Still, Johnson has to feel good about the impression he left from that game. The other two guys competing for the last spot, Khem Birch and Shawne Jones, each played 30+ minutes but combined for just 7 total points, though Birch did have a team leading 13 rebounds.

-Jason "go Dre!!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Worth noting that one of Dre's main competitors for the last spot on the Heat, SG Tyler Johnson, scored 17 points in the game. Johnson scored his 17 in 36 minutes and needed 13 shots to get there while Dre only played 27 minutes and took just 8 shots. Still, Johnson has to feel good about the impression he left from that game. The other two guys competing for the last spot, Khem Birch and Shawne Jones, each played 30+ minutes but combined for just 7 total points, though Birch did have a team leading 13 rebounds.

-Jason "go Dre!!" Evans
    It is truly a sign of age, but I am amazed how quickly players go from being highly sought recruiting targets to frantically trying to stay out of the NBA preseason meat grinder. Upon seeing Birch's name, my first thought was "hmm, where did he wind up going to college?"

Go Dre Go!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    It is truly a sign of age, but I am amazed how quickly players go from being highly sought recruiting targets to frantically trying to stay out of the NBA preseason meat grinder. Upon seeing Birch's name, my first thought was "hmm, where did he wind up going to college?"
    Birch was RSCI's #11 player in the 2011 class, ranked right next to Cody Zeller and PJ Hairston. He went to Pitt and then quickly transferred midway through his freshman season to UNLV. He never quite developed as expected at UNLV and his decision to declare for the 2014 draft was a bit of a head-scratcher. He was undrafted in the 2014 draft.

I find it fun, some times, to look at old RSCI rankings to see how guys have panned out from high school. Generally, the top 5-10 do end up in the NBA, probably at about a 75% or better clip. But, once you hit double digits, it gets to be almost random.

-Jason "Dre would have been a top 10 recruit, but he came to Duke a year early and by moving into the older class was only ranked in about the top 40s or so" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I find it fun, some times, to look at old RSCI rankings to see how guys have panned out from high school. Generally, the top 5-10 do end up in the NBA, probably at about a 75% or better clip. But, once you hit double digits, it gets to be almost random.
    That makes sense. It would be interesting to do the same analysis on the major D1 year end All American vs RSCI rankings, because a lot of times these one-and-done phenoms don't make AA teams for various reasons. Maybe someone has already done it, but it would be interesting to examine the one-and-done era - we're about 10 years in, right - to see if there are any patterns with RSCI rankings, mix of years of kids in the rotation, end-of-year-All Americans, and Final Fours achieved. It feels like Kentucky, Kansas, UNC and UConn would be the top based on the number of Final Fours and Titles over the past 10 years, and the past 5 years would probably be even more instructive as that's when the Calipari era has really evolved.

Andre highlights: 16 pts, 2 stls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-liBR6xxtjw

Quote Originally Posted by duke09hms View Post
    Andre highlights: 16 pts, 2 stls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-liBR6xxtjw
    Way to go, Andre!

The Hornets could totally use him if it doesn't work out in MIA.

so totally awesome to see him get his shot to make it...

GO ANDRE!!!!!!!!!
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

It was good to see

It was kind of a crazy game considering how many were out with injuries, including McRoberts, but I was impressed with how comfortable Andre looked out there and how he is no longer just a spot up shooter. I know that he was working on putting the ball on the floor while he was out for a year, but he seems to be showing these skills more with the Heat than he did with Duke. I guess he just had to keep developing as a player, and ask Coach K says, Every horse runs his own race.

It's 50-50 at this point for Andre

The Heat cut three today, and according to the Sun Sentinel, "With Thursday's decisions, the Heat's final cut could come down to guard Andre Dawkins or forward Khem Birch."

Final cuts are Monday by 5:00 PM.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/m...314-story.html

Man, I am super psyched and hopeful for Andre! If he makes an NBA roster it will be an incredible story.

Coach K is a personal hero of mine and is well on his way to becoming the GOAT. But I maintain that the lack of PT for Andre this past year was one of his worst personnel decisions as a coach. To me it seemed like a classic example of how a coach's quick hook can lead to tentative play.

(That said, I must qualify the above statement by admitting that I have no idea how Andre did in practices last year. But during the games at least, the attitude he displayed sure seemed terrific, and the per-minute stats indicate that he was one of our most effective players.)

The only other Duke player of the past 20 years whose pine time made me scratch my head like this was Marty Pocius.

My $0.02.

I am really pulling for Andre. I remember watching his poor performance in the State Farm College Slam Dunk and 3-point contest and thinking that might be the last time I'd see him play. He's come a long way since March.

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    The Heat cut three today, and according to the Sun Sentinel, "With Thursday's decisions, the Heat's final cut could come down to guard Andre Dawkins or forward Khem Birch."

Final cuts are Monday by 5:00 PM.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/m...314-story.html
    So it sounds like it may come down to which role the Heat want to fill more--hope it's sharpshooter. Good luck to Andre!

Quote Originally Posted by g-money View Post
    Man, I am super psyched and hopeful for Andre! If he makes an NBA roster it will be an incredible story.

Coach K is a personal hero of mine and is well on his way to becoming the GOAT. But I maintain that the lack of PT for Andre this past year was one of his worst personnel decisions as a coach. To me it seemed like a classic example of how a coach's quick hook can lead to tentative play.

(That said, I must qualify the above statement by admitting that I have no idea how Andre did in practices last year. But during the games at least, the attitude he displayed sure seemed terrific, and the per-minute stats indicate that he was one of our most effective players.)

The only other Duke player of the past 20 years whose pine time made me scratch my head like this was Marty Pocius.

My $0.02.
    Well, we probably won't accomplish much by opening this debate again, but I think one can agree, and I do, that it is likely that the allocation of minutes to Andre, not just last year, but in 2011-12 as well, was not good for Andre's game for the reasons you state, while still allowing that it might have been the best choice for the team--that is the part that we can't really know. Would a more effective, more confident Andre have produced better team play overall than the players who got the minutes he would have gotten? It's pretty easy to think so if you isolate particular games that support the argument but more complicated, and less clear, over the course of a whole season.

It's too bad that the timing was what it was. It was great to see Andre come back, and wonderful to see what a great attitude he had. But coming back into the Parker-Hood team, with so many new parts and such an emphasis on those two players, might not have been the ideal situation for giving Andre more room to play.

Andre in miami

Listening to sports radio here in South Florida today the debate is about what the Heat need more of, big men or a Three Point threat. Seems the majority of callers and the radio personalities think shooting is the better option off the bench. This is the Zazlow and Joy show on 104.3 The Ticket. Needless to say Im a fan of shooting off the bench and would prefer that Andre is given the last spot. However as someone mentioned in the Dukies in the NBA Thread, the Heat dont have to keep either and could cut both of them. With injuries and the age of some of the stars I would assume that they keep all 15 players. Napier, Ennis, and Andre could turn into a good 1-3 option for the Heat down the road. James Ennis is spectacularly athletic and Napier has been showing signs of being capable of running the team. Only question is can Andre develop into a consistent 3 point threat. I think he can and think he will off the bench. Tonight is the Biggest game of his life and I cant wait to watch. Only problem is if Spo is going to treat it like a regular season game or if hes going to use it as a final try out... Hopefully a mixture of both.

Dre had 9 points in 12 minutes on 5 shots. His +- was -7 though. Dre's biggest competition for a spot, Birch was scoreless in 18 minutes but he did grab 6 boards.

Dre had 9 points in 12 minutes on 5 shots. His +- was -7 though. Dre's biggest competition for a spot, Birch was scoreless in 18 minutes but he did grab 6 boards.
    6 boards and, apparently, 5 fouls, which is a fair number for 18 minutes. The -7 is interesting because, in his previous games, Dre has always had a plus number, for whatever reason. Of course +/- is affected by a lot of stuff that has little or nothing to do with individual players. It would be more helpful if we knew whether some of those points were scored by someone Andre was guarding--but I certainly don't have the patience to figure that out.

If that is the choice--Birch or Dawkins--it sounds like it may come down to whether they are more interested in a rebounder or a shooter off the bench.

Dre made the heat
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Here is the story on Dre making the Heat.

The release of Birch leaves Andre Dawkins in the Heat's final 15. The undrafted rookie guard out of Duke impressed the Heat in both summer league and training camp with his 3-point stroke.

In advance of Saturday's move, Dawkins said, "Obviously, I can shoot the ball well. I might have exceeded expectations in terms of shooting the ball. I still got to get better at other things."

Dawkins is one of three rookies left after the cut to 15, joined by 2014 first-round pick Shabazz Napier and 2013 second-round pick James Ennis.
    -Jason "huge congrats to Andre!" Evans

Outstanding

Andre deserves all the credit in the world, but Coach K gets the assist for having him sit out for a year. Remember how some people wondered if Andre would play again? Apparently so.

The Heat now have three Dukies and a relatively young team, so even if they are no longer championship contenders they will be interesting to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    Andre deserves all the credit in the world, but Coach K gets the assist for having him sit out for a year. Remember how some people wondered if Andre would play again? Apparently so.

The Heat now have three Dukies and a relatively young team, so even if they are no longer championship contenders they will be interesting to watch.
    He should fill that James Jones role of being the best shooter on the team, but who can typically seen on the bench dressed in a suit because the rest of his game is deficient.

I hope I'm wrong. It will be nice to be seen how the team looks once McRoberts is in the mix. They're pretty thin, but Wade had a pretty solid preseason, and hopefully Napier and Ennis will continue to improve and round out the team with a little youth and spark off the bench. Napier, for what it's worth, probably only needs to be decent to crack the starting lineup by the end of the year. I like Norris Cole, but he's not a starting caliber PG.