Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    In terms of the elite college 4s, he'll give up height to some and weight to others. He just looks like a man out there, a Nate James enforcer type (he doesn't quite have that build, but he seems to have that frame)
    That's a good thing, but Nate James never really played PF for Duke. Especially when we have a properly sized alternative, 6'6" (w/ shoes) 220 sounds a bit small to be a regular PF. Like you say, we'll have to wait and see

Justise

Justise is every bit 6'7 and he looks as strong as an ox. I can see him playing a little of the 4 spot if needed, he isn't going to get pushed around down low at least on the defensive boards. But he seems to be a natural 3, that's what he played mostly on the U18 squad. Donovan had him pick up the ball full court, and in the half court defensive set, he was on the wing just totally disrupting the offense. The comparisons to Nate James are obvious, but Winslow has a much higher offensive ceiling than Nate Dog ever had.

What I liked most was his intensity. He played angry and with swagger, and he had a real leadership presence on the court. You could tell Donovan loved him. Whenever the US team got into trouble, he inserted Winslow into the mix.

And, Kennard is a scoring machine. He could go off any game with 30, he has the total offensive package. Long, strokes the 3, finishes in traffic, is 'alarmingly athletic' and has great pivot/post moves already. Kid will be special as K would say...

Quote Originally Posted by CoSprings View Post
    Justise is every bit 6'7 and he looks as strong as an ox.
    Not to be nitpicky but according to the official NIKE Hoops Summit measurements from about six weeks ago, Justise is 6'6" in shoes. I guess that's almost 6'7, but it isn't "every bit 6'7."

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Not to be nitpicky but according to the official NIKE Hoops Summit measurements from about six weeks ago, Justise is 6'6" in shoes. I guess that's almost 6'7, but it isn't "every bit 6'7."
    Maybe he's still growing ... like Dunleavy in 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    Maybe he's still growing ... like Dunleavy in 1999.
    Maybe. He did grow half an inch in the year between the 2013 USA Basketball measurements and the 2014 Hoops Summit. But I highly doubt he then grew another full inch in the last two months.

Winslow has been a terrific rebounder for his position in his Team USA stints. Defense, rebounding, competitiveness -- there's a lot to like with this guy, and his strong points seem to be in areas where Duke needed some help this last season.

Very happy to see Justise Winslow come into the program.