Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Here is a link to the Cavs salary cap projections for the next few years. The 2014-2015 cap is $63.2 million so

Cleveland is more than $16 million under for the next season (not including Wiggins deal). They could offer Luol Deng $12 million or Spencer Hawes $5-$6 million to bring back their two free agents. But it is unlikely they could bring back both.

Here is their depth chart in order of minutes played last season:

Backcourt - Irving, Jack, Waiters, Delladova, Gee, Wiggins

Frontcourt - Thompson, Varajao, Deng, Zeller, Hawes, Bennett

If they can use Varajao's expiring as trade bait and package Waiters (personality dump) and Jack (salary dump), they could free themselves up to do something interesting. But without a move, or without bring back Deng, these Cavs will be in the 25-35 win range again. Otherwise they may have to wait for Wiggins and Irving to mature as players and hope to land a big man to replace Varajao's production.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    I was just referring to the experience of being wooed by other teams. Even though point guard is an extremely deep position in the NBA, I suspect there would have been a HUGE market for Kyrie from contending franchises looking to upgrade next year. Many people i think would enjoy the process of visiting these NBA cities and listening to what each team has to offer. (Basically what Carmelo is doing right now)
    That would have been a very expensive road trip, not to mention risky. Carmelo's already made his NBA fortune and is late enough in his career that it's now or never if he's going to win a championship. Kyrie is 22.

Kyrie's contract is going to be possibly the best 5 years of his playing career in terms of production, leading right up to his prime, and he was smart to demand the max. This is huge win for the Cavs, locking up Kyrie a year before hitting free agency. They now have way more to bait in front of free agents next summer. If David Blatt shows that he's a capable coach in this league (I believe he will be), there's a nice spot on this roster for a star next summer to come play with Kyrie and Andrew Wiggins. I also think Anthony Bennett will have a MUCH improved year coming up. Despite their managements best efforts to sabotage their own team for the past 3 years, the Cavs' arrow is trending solidly up. Imagine if we had Andre Drummond instead of Dion Waiters . . . . sigh.
    I agree that the Cavs are going to be interesting this next couple years. I also agree that it would be a mistake to underestimate Bennett. Word around the campfire is that Anthony Bennett has been working out hard and has lost a lot of weight. A local writer in Las Vegas saw him without a shirt and opined that he thinks Bennett is going to be a good NBA player, last season notwithstanding. His weight and conditioning may have been a part of his problem last year. But he had his tonsils out to help with a sleep apnea problem too. A Cavs fan apparently put up a post on social media quipping that when the doctors took out his tonsils, they found a meatloaf attached to one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    A Cavs fan apparently put up a post on social media quipping that when the doctors took out his tonsils, they found a meatloaf attached to one of them.
    Those Cavs fans sure are something.

His weight and conditioning may have been a part of his problem last year. But he had his tonsils out to help with a sleep apnea problem too. A Cavs fan apparently put up a post on social media quipping that when the doctors took out his tonsils, they found a meatloaf attached to one of them.
    I could see how one of these could get stuck in your throat...

-Jason "...but I won't do that!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

That would have been a very expensive road trip, not to mention risky. Carmelo's already made his NBA fortune and is late enough in his career that it's now or never if he's going to win a championship. Kyrie is 22.

I agree that the Cavs are going to be interesting this next couple years. I also agree that it would be a mistake to underestimate Bennett. Word around the campfire is that Anthony Bennett has been working out hard and has lost a lot of weight. A local writer in Las Vegas saw him without a shirt and opined that he thinks Bennett is going to be a good NBA player, last season notwithstanding. His weight and conditioning may have been a part of his problem last year. But he had his tonsils out to help with a sleep apnea problem too. A Cavs fan apparently put up a post on social media quipping that when the doctors took out his tonsils, they found a meatloaf attached to one of them.
    I heard from somewhere that his issues with sleep apnea were so bad last year that at times, he couldn't even breathe through his mouth . . . I can't imagine playing basketball while only nose breathing . . . that wouldn't be fun at all.

. . . I can't imagine playing basketball while only nose breathing . . . that wouldn't be fun at all.
    Little known fact: this manuever is sometimes known as "The Reverse Hansbrough", and should never be attempted after completion of the third grade.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I could see how one of these could get stuck in your throat...

I think if the meatloaf had been stuck on Bennett's tonsil, it would be a bit more angry and covered with mucous.

Attachment 4192

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Here is a link to the Cavs salary cap projections for the next few years. The 2014-2015 cap is $63.2 million so

Cleveland is more than $16 million under for the next season (not including Wiggins deal). They could offer Luol Deng $12 million or Spencer Hawes $5-$6 million to bring back their two free agents. But it is unlikely they could bring back both.

Here is their depth chart in order of minutes played last season:

Backcourt - Irving, Jack, Waiters, Delladova, Gee, Wiggins

Frontcourt - Thompson, Varajao, Deng, Zeller, Hawes, Bennett

If they can use Varajao's expiring as trade bait and package Waiters (personality dump) and Jack (salary dump), they could free themselves up to do something interesting. But without a move, or without bring back Deng, these Cavs will be in the 25-35 win range again. Otherwise they may have to wait for Wiggins and Irving to mature as players and hope to land a big man to replace Varajao's production.
    The Cavs' biggest need right now is a rim-protecting big man. Hawes does not fill that role, although I would not be surprised if they try to re-sign him. He's a productive player, and has some shooting ability to stretch the floor. However, I believe he played way out of his mind during his time with the Sixers last year, and I hope if they do re-sign him, it's a reasonable contract.

The team's second biggest need is at small forward, but I don't think there's any chance Luol Deng stays. I may be wrong, but I don't think the Cavs really want him to stay because of what he's going to cost. Deng is a great player, but if they let him walk now, they won't have to deal with moving him next summer to free up cap space. Depth up front is going to be a bigger concern, so I expect we try to keep Hawes around, and let Deng walk.

Jack has already been discussed as part of a trade with the Knicks that didn't pan out, so the Cavs are actively shopping him to get rid of that horrendous contract. Waiters is almost certainly not going to be with the team after his rookie deal expires. If the Cavs can somehow deal him and get something, that would be wonderful. Still, Waiters is a productive player. He's an ideal combo guard off the bench who brings scoring punch and toughness. Secretly, I'm hoping that the coaching change, an additional year to mature as a person, as well as a move to a 6th man role next year will allow Waiters to buy in to what the team is trying to accomplish. I don't think it'll happen, and he's going to want to get paid, so a trade is probably the next-best case scenario.

It'll be interesting to see if the Canadian dynamic develops into anything. With Wiggins, Thompson, and Bennett all a big part of the rotation, it'll be the most Canadian team in the league. Should be fun.

Here's what I project our rotation will look like next year:

C: Spencer Hawes
    PF: Tristan Thompson
    SF: Alonzo Gee
    SG: Andrew Wiggins
    PG: Kyrie Irving

Bench

6: Dion Waiters
    7: Anthony Bennett
    8: Jarrett Jack
    9: Anderson Varejao
    10: Tyler Zeller

I'm optimistically projecting this team to win 41 games . . . It think it can be done. That would make the Cavs a playoff team, likely resulting in a 6, 7, or 8 seed in the playoffs. I'm probably overestimating David Blatt, but his resume speaks for itself, and I think he can get much more out of Kyrie than Mike Brown ever did.

I was just referring to the experience of being wooed by other teams. Even though point guard is an extremely deep position in the NBA, I suspect there would have been a HUGE market for Kyrie from contending franchises looking to upgrade next year. Many people i think would enjoy the process of visiting these NBA cities and listening to what each team has to offer. (Basically what Carmelo is doing right now)

Kyrie's contract is going to be possibly the best 5 years of his playing career in terms of production, leading right up to his prime, and he was smart to demand the max. This is huge win for the Cavs, locking up Kyrie a year before hitting free agency. They now have way more to bait in front of free agents next summer. If David Blatt shows that he's a capable coach in this league (I believe he will be), there's a nice spot on this roster for a star next summer to come play with Kyrie and Andrew Wiggins. I also think Anthony Bennett will have a MUCH improved year coming up. Despite their managements best efforts to sabotage their own team for the past 3 years, the Cavs' arrow is trending solidly up. Imagine if we had Andre Drummond instead of Dion Waiters . . . . sigh.
    I'm unclear what you are suggesting. Irving should have taken a one-year qualifying offer in order to make possible unrestricted free agency the following off-season? Because that would be taking what amounts to an $85 million dollar risk with his body. I don't care how much the city of Cleveland sucks (a lot) or how much the Cleveland franchise deserves to be contracted (give it a thought, Silver), no one is taking that risk. Or are you suggesting that Irving should have taken meetings as a restricted free agent with other teams. Because the Cavs would have matching rights with any contract he signed, meaning he could not leave if they didn't want him to, and in the process they would be locking him in at a lower number. Any offer sheet he signed would be substantially lower than this Cleveland contract, and it would only accomplish easing the Cavs' payroll. It would not get him one inch closer to freedom. Moreover, since this contract is the "designated player" 5-year kind, if Irving makes All-Star next year, his salary is automatically escalated to 30% of the Cleveland salary cap, per the Rose Rule. That means considerably more than $90 million is possible with this contract. All of which is to say, if Kyrie was insane and irresponsible, he might have done something other than what he has done.

... I also think Anthony Bennett will have a MUCH improved year coming up. ...
    Difficult to imagine a worse year

This second contract is apparently why players like Kyrie and Jabari go pro after one year. Sure, some people may not want to spend a chunk of the year in Cleveland or Milwaukee, but most people would do so for $90 million. Having now read several recent articles about Mr. Bennett, Cleveland is likely to be very solid next year. I don't know how that would translate in regards to wins, but I wonder if big market teams like the Knicks, Nets, and Lakers might not be willing to trade rosters even up...

Hawks make a weird trade:

http://www.si.com/nba/2014/07/01/ap-...rs-hawks-trade

Why give up Lou Williams for Salmons? And why add a 7 foot prospect to the deal?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Unless you are the Portland Trailblazers or Greg Oden. Imagination is what makes Portland great.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Hawks make a weird trade:

http://www.si.com/nba/2014/07/01/ap-...rs-hawks-trade

Why give up Lou Williams for Salmons? And why add a 7 foot prospect to the deal?
    This is a pure cap move. Saves them ~$4-5 million. My guess is this will be followed by a waiver of Salmons (which can be accomplished for the tidy sum of $1 million*)

*Would that I were in a career where someone would pay me $1 million to go away
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    The qualifying offer is just to get the ball rolling. Kelly is now a restricted free agent, meaning the Lakers can match any offer made by another team.
    And others surely would in this case, right? They surely aren't going to let the Lakers grab Kelly for $1M, right?

Me, on the other hand, I'm available for $1M per year. And I'm pretty handy with a mop, Windex, Pledge, whatever the Lakers need.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    ...the Cavs are apparently flying to NJ with a max offer.

They are used to the flight having attended so many recent lotteries (bazinga!)
    The Lottery was to be renamed the Cavaliers' annual pre-draft invitational party, then they hired an actual coach ...

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    This is a pure cap move. Saves them ~$4-5 million. My guess is this will be followed by a waiver of Salmons (which can be accomplished for the tidy sum of $1 million*)

*Would that I were in a career where someone would pay me $1 million to go away
    Bingo -- this move puts the Hawks up to something like $15 mil of cap space. They are supposedly going to go hard after Andre Drummond (Detroit will match just about anything offered) and Luol Deng. A front line of Deng, Millsaps, and Horford would seem to be one of the best in the East, no? I suppose Lebron, Bosh, and... well... just about anything this side of a rotting corpse would be better, but not much else.

Deng will probably sign for something in the $10-12 mil/year range, which would allow the Hawks to have money left over to get one more free agent if they sign him. I am bummed that they had to let the rights to Brazilian big man Nogiuera go in the deal, but they had to give up something to get the cap space that waiving Salmons gives them. I just hope that Nogiuera doesn't turn into a functioning NBA center or this deal could look lousy in retrospect.

I still lament the Hawks foolishly taking Adrienne Payne in the draft. I have no idea why they got another stretch 4 when they already had Mike Scott on the roster. Imagine what a good backup wing would do for this team... its not like Hood, Kyle Anderson, and James Young weren't all just sitting there waiting to be drafted. Wait, yes they were. Grrrrrr!

-Jason "if the German Tony Parker (Dennis Schroder) can become a decent player, the Hawks might actually be more than first round playoff fodder for once!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    He produced -0.4 win shares. Meaning the Cavs would have been better off calling up some dude from the D-League and just cutting Bennett. That's pretty bad.

-Jason "one would think that if he struggles again, they will simply trade him to someone who thinks he can do better with a change of scenery" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Des Esseintes View Post
    I'm unclear what you are suggesting. Irving should have taken a one-year qualifying offer in order to make possible unrestricted free agency the following off-season? Because that would be taking what amounts to an $85 million dollar risk with his body. I don't care how much the city of Cleveland sucks (a lot) or how much the Cleveland franchise deserves to be contracted (give it a thought, Silver), no one is taking that risk. Or are you suggesting that Irving should have taken meetings as a restricted free agent with other teams. Because the Cavs would have matching rights with any contract he signed, meaning he could not leave if they didn't want him to, and in the process they would be locking him in at a lower number. Any offer sheet he signed would be substantially lower than this Cleveland contract, and it would only accomplish easing the Cavs' payroll. It would not get him one inch closer to freedom. Moreover, since this contract is the "designated player" 5-year kind, if Irving makes All-Star next year, his salary is automatically escalated to 30% of the Cleveland salary cap, per the Rose Rule. That means considerably more than $90 million is possible with this contract. All of which is to say, if Kyrie was insane and irresponsible, he might have done something other than what he has done.
    That's a really good point, I hadn't considered that. Yes, I had originally imagined Kyrie playing out his rookie contract and testing free agency next summer. He hadn't really shown much interest in staying in Cleveland until after the Cavs won the draft lottery. But you are totally right, why gamble on that contract year when he can get a max deal right now? Plus, it's now a much better situation with the new management and Andrew Wiggins. The more I think about it now, the more this deal seems like a no-brainer. I'm just glad my favorite player is still staying with my team

So might this mean that the cavs are not interested in wooing LBJ back?

There's no salary room now, am I right?
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'