Page 40 of 43 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I think Okafor makes sense with or without Love. He is a center while Love is a PF. Okafor would be a fine backup to Verejao.

Of course, lost in all the Love pursuit is Tristan Thompson, who is a very nice younger piece who plays PF. If Cleveland gets Love, it severely limits TT's minutes. He was a 30+ minute per game player a year ago. If Love comes on board, it is hard to see TT getting even 15 minutes per game. Hmmm, maybe that is why Okafor does not work if you get Love. In theory, without Okafor, TT could get minutes backing up both Love and Verejao.

-Jason "looking at Cleveland's projected roster when/if they get Love, Ray Allen fits in really nicely!" Evans
    Yea, Thompson's minutes was what I was thinking of. Thompson plays some at the 5, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Okafor ould make sense with Love as well. Cavs may have to lose Haywood to get Love for the salaries to work, so more veteran depth at the 5 would be nice.
    If they sign Okafor and don't trade for Love, they could have a starting lineup of all #1 picks. It'd be a pretty mediocre starting lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by wk2109 View Post
    If they sign Okafor and don't trade for Love, they could have a starting lineup of all #1 picks. It'd be a pretty mediocre starting lineup.
    Okafor was actually a #2 pick; Dwight Howard went #1 that year.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Ah yes, you're right. I stand corrected.

Ah yes, you're right. I stand corrected.
    That's why that lineup wouldn't that great. (;
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

I like the idea of Okafor even with Love. Even coming off the neck surgery, and probably being washed up to some degree, he's probably still a decent backup. We all know Varejao doesn't have a chance in hell of playing 82 games. The Cavs need size and defense. Okafor provides at least one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Yea, Thompson's minutes was what I was thinking of. Thompson plays some at the 5, as well.
    I was never a huge fan of Thompson, I think he's just a back up big, and I don't like the idea of him playing center. He's barely 6'9" with shoes on. It makes the idea of signing another big who CAN play the 5 even more appealing.

James Harden is kind of an idiot . . .

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/ch...human-element/

No matter what the truth of the matter is . . . you just can't say that, dude. I totally get now why Bosh said "I'm good." Who really wants to play with the personalities of Harden and Howard? That's like playing with two guys who are the social maturity equivalent of a college kid and a high schooler.

I liked Harden when he was just the weird dude with a huge beard coming off the bench for OKC. This new guy is a diva and cares less about defense than the high school kids at the local YMCA.

Love

On ESPN's NBA home page, there is a link to a video in which David Thorpe and Henry Abbott talk about how good Kevin Love is and what he would mean to the Cavs. They also discuss favorites for next season. It's worth watching.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Anyone with a good update on the shape of a deal between the Cavs and T-Wolves?

I saw some comments yesterday from Minnesota ownership that they would be trading Love, and I saw a note today that Wiggins will be part of a trade package, but that Waiters would not be part of the trade.

Third team involved? Cavs part with Bennett also?
    Last edited by roywhite; 08-05-2014 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

I saw some comments yesterday from Minnesota ownership that they would be trading Love, and I saw a note today that Wiggins will be part of a trade package, but that Waiters would not be part of the trade.

Dan Patrick reported this morning that the Cavs and Wolves have a handshake deal to be consummated when Wiggins can be traded. Patrick didn't say so, but the scuttlebutt is that it's Love for Wiggins, Bennett and a future first round pick (protected or unprotected unknown).

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    Dan Patrick reported this morning that the Cavs and Wolves have a handshake deal to be consummated when Wiggins can be traded. Patrick didn't say so, but the scuttlebutt is that it's Love for Wiggins, Bennett and a future first round pick (protected or unprotected unknown).
    I just read that the handshake deal has Wiggins and Thaddeus Young going to Minnesota, Love to Cleveland, and Bennett going to Philadelphia. Not sure if a pick is involved as well.

Some very sketchy reports that Thad Young could go to Minnesota and Bennett to the Sixers, but nothing crisp.

I don't follow all the ins and outs of the NBA, but one thing which stuns me is the constant refrain from some talking heads putting down Love, saying he hasn't won anything in his career.
    Seems to me he's a terrific young player on a pretty lousy team. I'd take him on my team any time.
    Last edited by Newton_14; 08-05-2014 at 10:38 PM.

Looks like Cleveland is trying to address their defensive needs with Shawn Marion.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11...land-cavaliers

Seems like a good move if he is willing to take the pay cut.

Quote Originally Posted by nocilla View Post
    Looks like Cleveland is trying to address their defensive needs with Shawn Marion.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11...land-cavaliers

Seems like a good move if he is willing to take the pay cut.
    Maybe. He'll be 37 come May of next year. That's a lot of miles on a guy of whom you'd be asking to be the second-best defensive player. Also, he plays primarily SF, which is a position at which they already have 3 guys (James, Miller, Jones).

The Cavs' defensive needs are at PG and PF/C. Marion doesn't really address either of these. He's certainly a good value at the veteran's minimum. But his marginal value to the Cavs is not all that high in my opinion.

Spurs hire new assistant coach.

The San Antonio Spurs today announced that Becky Hammon has been hired as an assistant coach. Per club policy terms of the contract were not announced.

Hammon, who is currently in her 16th WNBA season, announced on July 23 that she would retire as a player at the conclusion of the 2014 season. Named one of the WNBA’s Top 15 Players of All-Time in July of 2011, Hammon ranks seventh in WNBA history in points (with 5,809), fourth in assists (1,687) and sixth in games (445).

“I very much look forward to the addition of Becky Hammon to our staff,” said Spurs Head Coach Gregg Popovich. “Having observed her working with our team this past season, I’m confident her basketball IQ, work ethic and interpersonal skills will be a great benefit to the Spurs.”

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Has the NBA ever had a female assistant coach before? I think it's pretty cool either way.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Has the NBA ever had a female assistant coach before? I think it's pretty cool either way.
    Yes and no.

Tuesday, the team named Becky Hammon an assistant coach, making her the first female paid by an NBA team to be an assistant.

"I very much look forward to the addition of Becky Hammon to our staff," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said in a statement. "Having observed her working with our team this past season, I'm confident her basketball IQ, work ethic and interpersonal skills will be a great benefit to the Spurs."

Lisa Boyer was an assistant with the Cleveland Cavaliers in 2001-02, but didn't travel to away games and wasn't paid by the Cavaliers. She was paid by the Cleveland Rockers of the WNBA.
    Good to see this happen with a coach with lifetime tenure and an assistant with a long history with the organization.

Maybe. He'll be 37 come May of next year. That's a lot of miles on a guy of whom you'd be asking to be the second-best defensive player. Also, he plays primarily SF, which is a position at which they already have 3 guys (James, Miller, Jones).

The Cavs' defensive needs are at PG and PF/C. Marion doesn't really address either of these. He's certainly a good value at the veteran's minimum. But his marginal value to the Cavs is not all that high in my opinion.
    Marion's always been a hybrid SF/PF. All the guys you mentioned are also capable of playing a different position. Miller is actually more of a shooting guard anyway, and Jones figures to be more of a bench warmer/practice player/chemistry guy. LeBron can play any position from 1 to 4, so positional conflicts don't even factor when he's involved.

I also heard that the wolves will be looking to offload Kevin Martin's expiring contract in this deal. Maybe not to Clevland, but perhaps a 3rd team.

SI reporting Love deal is "done," involves Bennett going to Philly

http://www.si.com/nba/2014/08/04/ant...s-philadelphia

Seems to make sense for all 3 teams, since Flip wants to be competitive right away, the Cavs want Love to contend for a championship, and the 76ers want to continue being garbage. Thaddeus Young gives the Wolves a veteran in his prime, while still getting the potential superstar in Wiggins. Philly gets worse, which is exactly what they want to do. Part of me can't fault them for gaming the system, but part of me also kind of wants Adam Silver to totally revamp the lottery and screw them over. Tanking just feels wrong, no matter how you slice it.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Marion's always been a hybrid SF/PF. All the guys you mentioned are also capable of playing a different position. Miller is actually more of a shooting guard anyway, and Jones figures to be more of a bench warmer/practice player/chemistry guy. LeBron can play any position from 1 to 4, so positional conflicts don't even factor when he's involved.

I also heard that the wolves will be looking to offload Kevin Martin's expiring contract in this deal. Maybe not to Clevland, but perhaps a 3rd team.
    The Wolves want to offload Martin, not because he is expiring, but because he is under contract for the next 2 seasons with a player option for the 3rd. If he opts in he would be 34 at the end of the deal. He has some value, just not as much to a team trying to build a younger core.