Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    The "Is It In You?" Gatorade-style bench for Aycock when I was at Duke was pretty sweet, though...
    I guess there is no place for sophomoric humor on an all freshman campus. A win for progress but a loss for d*** jokes.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    I guess there is no place for sophomoric humor on an all freshman campus. A win for progress but a loss for d*** jokes.
    I don't understand what you mean. Just because he's ill shouldn't stop us from making Dean jokes when appropriate. That is what you meant, right?

So, this is an interesting decision from an alumni relations standpoint. Until this thread, I had no idea who Aycock was. I didn't really care.

What I do know is that I met my wife at Aycock, fell in love with her on the front steps, and have very fond memories of that dorm, and yes, the name. I remember watching my wife paint "Aycock, makes people happy" on the bench (there's actually a picture of that bench on my basement wall). I have no such memories of "East Residence Hall".

I wonder if there is anyone else who is fond of that name? Perhaps someone deciding whether to renew their alumni donation?

I can't believe that taking away nostalgia is a good thing from an alumni-relations perspective. Perhaps next they will rename Wallace Wade, and replace the chapel with a shiny new dorm tower? Who needs a chapel at a university, anyway?

I had an elective my freshman year that met in a commons room in Aycock. Never knew why. But glad that it did.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimist View Post
    In case you missed this news:

http://www.wncn.com/story/25796833/d...st-nc-governor

The replacement name will be "East Residence Hall."

k
    Removing Aycock from the university? Is Lorena Bobbitt on the board?

Quote Originally Posted by Reisen View Post
    I remember watching my wife paint "Aycock, makes people happy" on the bench (there's actually a picture of that bench on my basement wall).
    Haha, that's great! Where in the basement? The Duke family cave or the laundry room?
    Any teenagers in your household?
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    Show of hands now: who thinks that this is the actual reason for name change?

(I lived there freshman year - we went with "hanging out" for the bench).

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Haha, that's great! Where in the basement? The Duke family cave or the laundry room?
    Any teenagers in your household?
    Duke cave, of course. Between my diploma, a couple of old CIS ticket stubs, and a signed poster from the 2004-2005 team :-).

I might have to do something about the picture when my 4 y/o gets old enough to understand the significance.

If one were to rename every building on a college campus that bears the name of a despicable person, one would be in the renaming business for a good long time.

I would be down with naming the former Aycock for one of the victims of the Wilmington riot.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    If one were to rename every building on a college campus that bears the name of a despicable person, one would be in the renaming business for a good long time.

I would be down with naming the former Aycock for one of the victims of the Wilmington riot.
    That would really be appropriate, and quite a statement. Maybe name it after the editor of the paper they destroyed.

ricks