Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Espn 50 Best Coaches (Roy #16, K #4)

According to ESPN, which is counting down the nation's best coaches, that's where he lands:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/

ESPN discusses the timing of the selection:

Votes were tallied well before the McCants mess, in other words ... but they were also tallied after more than two years of academic self-investigation and the P.J. Hairston mess of a summer ago.
    The article fails to mention that Ol' Roy was actually voted 20th, but moved up to 16th after some "swapping out" of votes.

They stated from the beginning that this was an award based on what these programs are doing currently, and not a coach's entire career -

"we asked a panel of nearly 100 ESPN writers, editors, broadcasters and researchers to rate college basketball coaches on all aspects of running a program, on a scale of 1-10. (The crucial distinction here is that the prompt was not career-oriented. This isn't about legacy. It's all about the present.)"

Just giving you guys a heads up in case K doesn't land in the top 5 (if they're REALLY only emphasizing success over the last couple of years). I think the rest of the remaining ACC coaches to be named will pan out something like this:

Bennett - around 13-15
    Boeheim & K - around 4-6
    Pitino - around 1-3

Again, all based on where the program is RIGHT NOW.

edit/addendum - If they rerun this same poll a year from now, K could very well be #1-3 assuming you guys make a final 4 run next season (which I find pretty likely).

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    ESPN discusses the timing of the selection:

The article fails to mention that Ol' Roy was actually voted 20th, but moved up to 16th after some "swapping out" of votes.

Meaningless marketing ploy by ESPN to generate some interest going into a very quiet period for major sports. The US New & World Report of basketball coaching ratings -- it's all about selling the product and has nothing to do with reality.

Roy is top 20, but not top 10. I can buy that, sounds ballpark right.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Got any transcripts to prove that?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Got any transcripts to prove that?
    I almost feel bad for Roy. Came back to his dream job, pressure to win his first NC, and he turned a blind eye to the termites in order to get the mansion.

McCants took down Doh! And may take down Roy. Wonder what he has on a Dean or Gut.

He would've gotten more but he was confused about "paper votes"

Well, the other coaches voted him one of the top ten most overrated coaches -- so he has that.

Of current coaches? Perhaps 16 all-time- but I cannot see that number for the current coaches- unless they are looking at potential (e.g. Kevin Ollie). Only 3 current coaches have multiple championships - K, Donovan and Roy. That alone has to put you in the top 10 of current coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Of current coaches? Perhaps 16 all-time- but I cannot see that number for the current coaches- unless they are looking at potential (e.g. Kevin Ollie). Only 3 current coaches have multiple championships - K, Donovan and Roy. That alone has to put you in the top 10 of current coaches.
    Unless you cheated to win two of those championships...
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

We got Bennett at No. 14 on the list and Boeheim at No. 12 ... I find that one strange -- his resume is outstanding and the 'Cuse was just in the Final Four a year ago (and spend about a third of lasts season at No. 1).

Here's the link to the #12 ranking for Jim Boeheim. At the bottom of the page you can see the list so far from #50 to #12.

Here are the ACC coaches already mentioned:

12. Jim Boeheim, Syracuse
    14. Tony Bennett, Virginia
    16. Roy Williams, UNC
    25. Jamie Dixon, Pittsburgh
    28. Jim Larranaga, Miami
    38. Buzz Williams, Virginia Tech
    45. Mike Brey, Notre Dame

If you add the not-yet-mentioned Coach K and Rick Pitino, that's 9 ACC coaches, which is not bad. (It's a bit skewed, with 1 new ACC school, 3 new-ish ACC schools, and new-to-the-ACC Buzz Williams.)

ESPN's criteria for ranking is annoyingly unclear right now. The articles keep saying that current performance is being evaluated and legacy is ignored. As for the Top 11, who's left? Coach K, Rick Pitino. The 2014 Final Four coaches (Kevin Ollie, John Calipari, Bo Ryan, Billy Donovan) plus three 2014 Elite 8 coaches (Sean Miller, Tom Izzo, John Beilein). Gregg Marshall, Bill Self. That's 11.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Here's the link to the #12 ranking for Jim Boeheim. At the bottom of the page you can see the list so far from #50 to #12.

Here are the ACC coaches already mentioned:

12. Jim Boeheim, Syracuse
    14. Tony Bennett, Virginia
    16. Roy Williams, UNC
    25. Jamie Dixon, Pittsburgh
    28. Jim Larranaga, Miami
    38. Buzz Williams, Virginia Tech
    45. Mike Brey, Notre Dame

If you add the not-yet-mentioned Coach K and Rick Pitino, that's 9 ACC coaches, which is not bad. (It's a bit skewed, with 1 new ACC school, 3 new-ish ACC schools, and new-to-the-ACC Buzz Williams.)

ESPN's criteria for ranking is annoyingly unclear right now. The articles keep saying that current performance is being evaluated and legacy is ignored. As for the Top 11, who's left? Coach K, Rick Pitino. The 2014 Final Four coaches (Kevin Ollie, John Calipari, Bo Ryan, Billy Donovan) plus three 2014 Elite 8 coaches (Sean Miller, Tom Izzo, John Beilein). Gregg Marshall, Bill Self. That's 11.
    Seth Greenberg was left just outside the bubble.

I'd say Roy is definitely in the top 16 among current ACC coaches. So what's the rumpus?

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    I'd say Roy is definitely in the top 16 among current ACC coaches. So what's the rumpus?
    Men's and woman's?

Sylvia > Roy

Men's and woman's?

Sylvia > Roy
    Good call. But Roy is definitely top 32 in the ACC, right? I mean among current coaches.

I came close to creating a snot bubble when thinking about Seth at #51 . You made me think of the Sean Dockery almost 1/2 court shot. Thanks I needed that positivity today.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    Good call. But Roy is definitely top 32 in the ACC, right? I mean among current coaches.
    I dunno -- David Cutcliffe, Jombo Fisher, Dabo Swinney, Frank Beamer, John Danowski . . . .

Men's and woman's?

Sylvia > Roy
    well, at least roy has the upper hand in fashion....but the bar ain't high
    April 1