UNC football recruit living up to standards

Seems like our friends in Chapel Hill are having some issues with telling their recruits to not do stuff, you know, against the law.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...artner=ya5nbcs

To be fair though, Duke did recruit the player.

Quote Originally Posted by conmanlhughes View Post
    Seems like our friends in Chapel Hill are having some issues with telling their recruits to not do stuff, you know, against the law.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...artner=ya5nbcs

To be fair though, Duke did recruit the player.

Dont let facts get in the way of kicking the Heels while they are down...

From the article it looks like both Dukes offered him a scholarship

Quote Originally Posted by PSurprise View Post
    From the article it looks like both Dukes offered him a scholarship
    Mortimer and Randolph, or Bo and Luke?

Avery doesn't fit the stereotype often associated with such activities. He's a student at Ravenscroft, Ryan Kelly's alma mater.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Avery doesn't fit the stereotype often associated with such activities. He's a student at Ravenscroft, Ryan Kelly's alma mater.
    What stereotype would that be, exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    What stereotype would that be, exactly?
    My guess to that question would be the stereotypical rich child that steals for attention, often portrayed on TV as doing it for the thrill rather than the actual goods. After all, we do not know if he is on scholarship to Ravenscroft or not, but if he is not, why would he be stealing when his parents can afford to pay these tuition fees? This is a rather odd situation in which I'm certain the facts will eventually surface.
    http://www.ravenscroft.org/page.cfm?p=24

Don't tell me UNC-CH students aren't smart enough to succeed academically. Florida State recruits steal crab legs.

Here are some "money quotes" -- literally -- from the article:

[Avery] Edwards was “charged with the theft of five watches and one pair of diamond stud earrings, valued at approximately $53,000.”

According to the Associated Press, UNC head coach Larry Fedora has been in contact with the family of Edwards. ... Fedora was quoted saying Edwards is a good kid who made a terrible mistake.
    I am sure there is a suspicion among the lunatic fringe of Tar Heel Nation that Lance Thomas was somehow involved.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

If Charles Manson could run a 4.4 40, UNC-CH's athletic department would describe his as a good kid who made a terrible mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Here are some "money quotes" -- literally -- from the article:

"charged with the theft of five watches "

OK, first you guys are all over the heels for NOT going to classes.

Now you're all over this kid for taking steps to make sure he gets to class on time ... jeez.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    If Charles Manson could run a 4.4 40, UNC-CH's athletic department would describe his as a good kid who made a terrible mistake.
    Even with a 4.4 forty, Manson is a bit small for the grid iron unless he can punt or kick. He'd likely be a 4-yr guy though.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Even with a 4.4 forty, Manson is a bit small for the grid iron unless he can punt or kick. He'd likely be a 4-yr guy though.
    Four years? Meh. I think Corcoran State (*) got him for life.

*(Prison)
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Two things that bother me most about UNC-CHeat's ongoing antics:
    1. Years the ago, the carolina way = no one else does it like us. Today, the carolina way = everyone does it like us, so it's okay.
    2. We only cheated for a few athletes, most are very smart, upstanding citizens... let us show you. So, it's okay b/c we only cheated a little.

I can't help but think of Lance Armstrong here. Deny, attack, deny, attack. Other disgraced athletes told the absolute truth along the way but many did not want to believe it. Hopefully this ends with same crumbling under the weight of the truth. They deserve it. They've had so many moments where they could have owned up, cleaned house and moved on. Folt and Cunningham had the perfect chance coming in to do the right thing without personal consequence. But they made their beds and quickly became part of the problem.

All over a couple of banners they cheated to get in the first place. I've said it before... this is all about the banners. If they weren't hanging up there, this would have been resolved long ago. What a bunch of schmucks.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    I can't help but think of Lance Armstrong here. Deny, attack, deny, attack. Other disgraced athletes told the absolute truth along the way but many did not want to believe it. Hopefully this ends with same crumbling under the weight of the truth.
    Does that mean we'll see Bubba interviewed by Oprah?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by conmanlhughes View Post
    My guess to that question would be the stereotypical rich child that steals for attention, often portrayed on TV as doing it for the thrill rather than the actual goods. After all, we do not know if he is on scholarship to Ravenscroft or not, but if he is not, why would he be stealing when his parents can afford to pay these tuition fees? This is a rather odd situation in which I'm certain the facts will eventually surface.
    http://www.ravenscroft.org/page.cfm?p=24
    I don't know if they will surface or not, but I would agree it's an odd situation. Not that, as you note, kids at private schools don't sometimes steal--of course they do, and not necessarily always for attention. But one has to wonder what would possess a kid with an apparently bright future to take such a risk. (Supporting a drug or gambling habit--his own or someone else's--maybe?)

What we haven't heard in these stories is who was the victim of this theft. Were the goods stolen from a private home (5 expensive watches sounds like a lot for one family but you never know)? Were they shoplifted from a store (if so, seems like the store clerks were a bit inattentive)? Either way it seems unlikely a break-in was involved since there were no burglary or breaking and entering charges. Or was this a "purchase" situation in which the player took the goods on deposit and later refused to pay or denied having possession? (Seems a bit harsh to handle this as a theft rather than a contract dispute but it might depend on the circumstances.)

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    I don't know if they will surface or not, but I would agree it's an odd situation. Not that, as you note, kids at private schools don't sometimes steal--of course they do, and not necessarily always for attention. But one has to wonder what would possess a kid with an apparently bright future to take such a risk. (Supporting a drug or gambling habit--his own or someone else's--maybe?)

What we haven't heard in these stories is who was the victim of this theft. Were the goods stolen from a private home (5 expensive watches sounds like a lot for one family but you never know)? Were they shoplifted from a store (if so, seems like the store clerks were a bit inattentive)? Either way it seems unlikely a break-in was involved since there were no burglary or breaking and entering charges. Or was this a "purchase" situation in which the player took the goods on deposit and later refused to pay or denied having possession? (Seems a bit harsh to handle this as a theft rather than a contract dispute but it might depend on the circumstances.)
    We'd need the police report to know the answers to these very interesting questions. It wasn't just watches but diamond earrings as well.

Imagine this scenario: A guy goes to a party at a rich kid friend's house, and dad has this watch collection. Not uncommon; lots of guys collect nice watches. And mom has this jewelry. The kid gets lost finding the bathroom and ends up in the the master bedroom. His frontal lobe is a little out of kilter from the party, so...

He goes to Publix for crab legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    We'd need the police report to know the answers to these very interesting questions. It wasn't just watches but diamond earrings as well.

Imagine this scenario: A guy goes to a party at a rich kid friend's house, and dad has this watch collection. Not uncommon; lots of guys collect nice watches. And mom has this jewelry. The kid gets lost finding the bathroom and ends up in the the master bedroom. His frontal lobe is a little out of kilter from the party, so...

He goes to Publix for crab legs.
    Good point--my crab legs always taste better when I am wearing a Rolex and a diamond stud.